Author Topic: Long Distance Relationship  (Read 3779 times)

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
Long Distance Relationship
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while but was wondering if any of you have done a long distance relationship?

The reason I ask is that my girlfriend has just moved away for 6 months to work in another country. Its the complete other side of the world to where I am and there's a 10 hour time difference which makes things worse.

I'm going to try and use the time to catch up with friends, focus on my work and continue my project to get in good shape which i started a few months ago but im really missing her already. I know theres no magic cure for that but just looking to see other peoples experiences, how they got through it etc etc. We are talking about moving in together when she gets home which is also keeping me going..

Its probably a trivial problem really but its the biggest problem in my world right now! Any advice or anything from the wise men of the forum would be much appreciated

Thanks

Zero

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Long Distance Relationship
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »
I cannot give U any personal advice on long distance relationships because I never had a long distance relationship.  However.... if I had to be in a long distance relationship with my beautiful wifey we would establish "talk times" on skype and phone conversations and texts.  Good luck with your long distance relationship and keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Long Distance Relationship
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
I've been in a couple of ldr and they just didn't work for me (not saying it won't/can't for you)
The biggest key IMHO for a successful ldr is COMMUNICATION ! Not to mention TRUST and HONESTY.... Hopefully you and yours have established these 3 critical aspects....If not, it's going to be long, trying 6 mos.

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »
Like RowilJr, I've been there a couple of time myself, without success. In my case, both of the other individuals were foreign nationals which wasn't necessarily a bad thing but I think the cultural differences screwed us up. You'll probably be fine as long as you keep the lines of communication open.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Intermittently Bald By Choice
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »
I experienced many long distance relationships.
I found out that both lovers has to be very into this concept: love cannot be destroyed by anything.
Anything.
That's the only way to make a long distance relationship work.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:05:33 AM »
While I have no actual experience in long distance relationships, what I would do is:

Get skype and organise times to call up and chat there, it will be soo much cheaper then international phone calls!

Facebook would also become one of the best ways to keep in touch too, or even the good old email. That way you can just shoot a quick message between each other whenever you get the time.

Another option, on the more expensive side of things... but you could possibly organise to go visit her in whatever part of the world she is in (or for her to come home for a few days), even if it is just for the weekend. Obviously that option is subject to many factors.

6 months might feel like a long time now, but if you can find a way to keep in touch, even though you can't actually be with her on a regular basis, with the way the internet is these days there is no reason you cannot be seeing each other face to face (via webcam) or sending messages between each other on a regular basis. If she put the idea of moving in together on the table, you guys must be in a good place relationship wise, why would you want to throw it all away?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »
OK. I have to jump in here.

I met my wife in June 1982.  We had two months of in-person time ... well, we were in a summer program, so the groups of 20 or so were always around. 

Then she 'returned home'.  Thus most of our 'courtship' was over the phone and in letters (e-mail and skype did not exist in the 80's).  We got married the next summer.  So we had two months in person, and 9 month's long distance and six weeks in person prior to the wedding.

Now, were were both early 30's so maybe that helps.  We both had minimal prior dating experience.

Been married almost 30 years now.

We did a LOT of writing during that time. Almost daily.  Kept Hallmark in business with stationary sales.

It can work.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »

I met my wife in June 1982.  We had two months of in-person time ... well, we were in a summer program, so the groups of 20 or so were always around. 

Then she 'returned home'.  Thus most of our 'courtship' was over the phone and in letters (e-mail and skype did not exist in the 80's).  We got married the next summer.  So we had two months in person, and 9 month's long distance and six weeks in person prior to the wedding.

Now, were were both early 30's so maybe that helps.  We both had minimal prior dating experience.

We did a LOT of writing during that time. Almost daily.  Kept Hallmark in business with stationary sales.

It can work.

There you go, that's one of the best LDR story I have heard! That has to inspire you to hang in there!

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Intermittently Bald By Choice
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »

I met my wife in June 1982.  We had two months of in-person time ... well, we were in a summer program, so the groups of 20 or so were always around.  

Then she 'returned home'.  Thus most of our 'courtship' was over the phone and in letters (e-mail and skype did not exist in the 80's).  We got married the next summer.  So we had two months in person, and 9 month's long distance and six weeks in person prior to the wedding.

Now, were were both early 30's so maybe that helps.  We both had minimal prior dating experience.

We did a LOT of writing during that time. Almost daily.  Kept Hallmark in business with stationary sales.

It can work.

Awesome, man.
I'm always talking about "concrete romanticism", meaning that a beautifully romantic story can easily happen, in reality, if the two persons involved really BELIEVE it.
You are the actual demonstration of this theory.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:52:23 AM by Cris »

Enter your email address: