Author Topic: Any "young" guys on cholesterol meds?  (Read 4246 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Any "young" guys on cholesterol meds?
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
I went to the cardiologist today have a evaluation since there are quite a bit of heart issues throughout my family tree. It turns out that my heart is ok. However, the doc did mention that cholesterol is a bit high - Total = 210; LDL=149; HDL =61.

Basically, the good cholesterol (HDL) is too low and the bad cholesterol (LDL) is too high. He suggested diet and exercise as an option which I've done in the past and the number hasn't gone down. The doc also suggested a daily cholesterol medicine. Does anyone on here take one and do you think they are effective?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Any "young" guys on cholesterol meds?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »
As a person who works in the medical field...there are many people who are under 35 and take cholesterol meds.   They are very effective.  Most cholesterol meds are taken at nite because it is more effective.  Your liver produces more cholesterol at nite that is why you take cholersterol meds at nite.  The only cholesterol meds that I know that can be taken in the morning are Tricor and Zetia.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Doug....if you have any further questions on cholesterol meds PM anytime. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Decades ago the doc noted my cholesterol was "elevated;" (Total was over 200, LDL was 140 to 150). He said he could prescribe medication but preferred that I simply take a Niacin supplement. I've done that daily ever since and my cholesterol is consistently better (Total about 150, LDL about 120, and HDL 50).

YMMV
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
Google Dr Abram hoffer and niacin.

We can talk off line,

Andrei

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
Cholesterol meds are efficient only if you stay with your diet and exercise regularly.
Lately I've seen that a lot of statins get prescribed. Usualy the treatment is a life time commitment, once the numbers go down that doesn't mean you can quit the treatment.
But your physician will let you know.

Try to stay away from carbonated beverages.
IMO it's better to know your status and do something about it than to live under the impression that everything is ok.

Since Warhawk is in the medical field he represents a higher authority than me so take his word and use his knowledge.

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Why stay away from carbonated beverages?

I got a physical a few years ago, and my physician said my cholesterol levels were slightly high. I don't really want to go on medicine...as I've heard of the negative side effects of them. I also haven't had my cholesterol checked in a couple of years.

I am interested in hearing more about Niacin...

Andrei

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Carbonated beverages by themselvs don't contain cholesterol, but the liver produces it while metabolazing them.
Same goes for alcohol.
Sugar increases blood cholesterol level.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:59:54 PM by Andrei »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
People of all ages who have high levels of cholesterol, 225+, lower with family histories or the trio, are advised to take a medication now.  There are some people who have a reaction to the statins, even to the other types such as Zetia. So they will test and want to know your individual tolerance for the medication, whichever one you're prescribed. Insurance companies want everyone to take the generic statin--because it's cheap of course. 
My son-in-law, only 37, takes his statins regularly, along with blood pressure meds.  His mother and father have heart issues that are controlled.  Cholesterol over 200 usually causes the doctor to advise the use of a drug.  Like all medication it's a balance between the demonstrated benefit, i.e. fewer "events"--medical talk for heart issues, against the risks.  You'll be tested on a regular basis, more frequently at first, for any adverse reactions that are only revealed in blood work.  Some people, me included, have had reactions to statins, so they are given things like Zetia, my drug.  You'll also get advised to take it if you have the trio, mild high blood pressure, less than 150/80, but higher than 120/70, elevated cholesterol over 200, and elevated fasting blood glucose--100-up to-125, i.e pre-diabetes.
I'd advise, 1) relax, it's just part of growing up/mature/old--however you regard that process, and 2) in addition to the meds, keep up your exercises, especially pushing away from the table ;D, and diet.  If you are over weight, a loss of 10 or more pounds may control all three issues without anything further.  If not, well, you're still above ground, so enjoy life.

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
Even sugar-free carbonated beverages?

Andrei

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Yes Jason, even sugar free beverages.
A fresh juice or even the fruit itself is a lot better choice.
Sugar substitutes are even worse then sugar, but for people suffering from diabetes it's kind of their only choice to sweeten their food.

Sugar is addictive, when consumed it creates a reaction in the brain that's similar to drugs (on a much lower scale of course).
I'm not saying never use sugar and never drink a carbonated drinks, but it will be a good habit to try to avoid them.

I believe the limits for cholesterol and blood pressure will be adjusted with higher values, based on the new statistical data.
The reference values are obtained based on the demographic data so it's possible that with time the numbers can change.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 03:42:49 AM »
Sugar is addictive,

As a more seasoned (read: older) person it is astounding how much sugar is added to processed foods - even those which are not considered sweet.

When I look back at mom's recipes from the 1950s and 1960s sugar was seldom added to home-cooked foods, but now it is quite common to "add a spoonful" for flavor. Sugar, like salt, is used more today to "mask" the absence of natural flavors.

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Andrei

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 04:30:42 AM »
@FrontierGuy: You are absolutely right. Sugar is added to a lot of food products for a better taste (processed meat, sandwiches, bread, etc).
But sugar is also added to cigarets (in the filter) for the same reason - a better flavor.

Any way, cholesterol is an issue, but if one can find what's trigering the high values and work on that it would be great, otherwise the treatment is always for the symphtom and not for the cause. But even that is better than not treating it at all.

Stay healthy Sly fellows!

Slynito

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »
Many years ago I found out that my Cholesterol was high. I lost weight, exercised, was vegetarian and then went vegan...still 230 - 240. After talking with some docs and other folks I found that it happens to be that way in a small part of the population. During my years of tracking and trials I did find that Niacin as well as Chromiacin supplement. Good luck, y'all.

Enter your email address: