Author Topic: Merkur DE blade  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Merkur DE blade
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »
So last night I pulled out my Edwin Jagger DE for a nice relaxing shave. I hadn't shaved since Sunday evening so i was really looking forward to the time and shave.

I pulled out the EJ DE and loaded a new blade into it.... a Merkur blade. I had not used one of these blades before.
I lathered up with some RazoRock XXX and got to shaving. The first thing that I noticed about this balde was that there seemed to be a bit more "tugging" of the hairs. LOUD scraping sounds could be heard on the first pass. All of this actually had me a little put off toward this blade.... my first thought being "I don't like this blade at all!".

BUT... as I completed my shave and rubbed my hads over my face looking for missed spots, I realized that I had gotten an EXCELLENT shave with this blade. So I'm going to try it again this evening with only one day of beard growth and see how it goes. The jury is still out on this blade but the initial results were excellent.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Re: Merkur DE blade
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:11 AM »
Hi there Mike

I have found the whole blade thing to be rather weird sometimes.  Some blades feel uncomfortable during the first shave, then get better on the second.  Some blades work great in one DE but not so nice in another.  Cetain blades work differently with different shave soap.  Some people will say that blade X is brilliant and others will say that the same blade is not so good.

I have also learned that some blades edge is a different angle to other blades, so if it feels rough at first one has to adjust the angle of the DE on your face to get a better result.

Nevertheless, I am loving the journey and experimenting with different blades.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »

I have also learned that some blades edge is a different angle to other blades, so if it feels rough at first one has to adjust the angle of the DE on your face to get a better result.

This is what I'm finding out. I changed the DE angle on the second pass and the blade shaved much differently.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
Hey Mike:  I'm really enjoying reading your DE journey as well as the rest of our sly brothers.  According to the veterans of the safety razor community that "LOUD" sound you hear is called "audio feedback".  Man... I absolutely love hearing the audio feedback when I perform my DE shaves. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
I've only used the Merkur DE blades so I don't have anything to compare them to.  They do make a scraping sound, but I haven't experienced the tugging that you mentioned. The shave is very close and smooth - closer than I've gotten with a Mach 3 or Fusion. Also, they hold their sharpness pretty well if you shake the blade dry