Author Topic: Recommend a good shave soap for me please!  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Recommend a good shave soap for me please!
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
So I have a new Love for shaving soaps. Currently I'm using the RazoRock XXX which is outstanding.
BUT.... I'm looking to add a few more. I thought it would be nice to have a single thread that mentions what everyone prefers.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Recommend a good shave soap for me please!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:57:11 AM »
There are so many great soaps out there - Proraso,  MWF,  Cella,  Vitos,  palmolive,  arko , Fume,  Tabac.....

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
Re: Recommend a good shave soap for me please!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
I like headblade slick myself.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
Mikekoz, where do you buy razorock XXX? I would like to try it sometime.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
Joe-

Bought it here:

http://www.leesrazors.com/

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
So I have a new Love for shaving soaps. Currently I'm using the RazoRock XXX which is outstanding.
BUT.... I'm looking to add a few more. I thought it would be nice to have a single thread that mentions what everyone prefers.
Hey Mike:  Great post.  This will definitely be the perfect place 2 share everyone's favorite shaving soap or creams.  Since... I discovered safety razors last April 2012.  I also discovered some quality creams and soaps. 

My favorite shave soap is made from the good ole USA (Mike's Natural Soaps).  My favorite is the Lemongrass and the Orange/Cederwood/Pepper.  U can buy either the shave bar by itself or the fancy tin can.  I chose to save another 3 or 4 dollars and just went with the shave bar. 

This is my favorite shave soap because it lathers like creamy yogurt with my Semogue 620 Boar Brush.  The creamy yogurt lather lasts a long time and it also provides great, comfortable cushion on your skin as the blade effortlessly glides across the dome or face.  It is made out of tallow, lanolin, and kokum butter.  These 3 main ingredients are perfectly blended.  These ingredients also makes your face and dome silky smooth. O0

As far as the scents of Mike's Natural Soap...my two favorites are the Lemongrass and the Orange.  He also has several other scents:  bay rum,  barbershop, lime,  unscented, and several more that I cannot recall at the moment. 

Customer service is great.  When you email your order.... Mike responds quickly and he ships usually the next day.  He always takes care of his customers which is a big deal for me. 

All in all... if U haven't tried Mike's Natural Soaps,  I highly recommend this product.  This is my go to shave soap and I look forward to trying all the other scents.  In closing... Mike's Natural Soaps will boost up your shave routine another notch.   8) 8) O0

www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
I have also tried Mama Bears Shaving Soap.  Sue from Mama Bears also provides great customer service and fast shipping.  I received my soap in only two days.  The Mama Bears Soaps are good also.  Not as good as Mike's Natural Soap but still a good soap.  It explodes with lather but doesn't provide the great cushion like Mike's Natural Soap.

Other shave soaps that I haven't tried but will be on my future list because of the rave reviews that I have read are...

The Fat...as it is nicknamed....  in other words Mitchell's  Wool Fat Shaving Soap.   Mystic Waters Soap is another one that gets good reviews.  Queen Charlotte Soaps is another.

Enclosed are some links:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Mitchells-Wool-Fat-Shaving-Soap-with-Ceramic-Bowl_p_63.html

www.queencharlottesoaps.com

www.mysticwatersoap.com

www.mamabearssoaps.com

Again... my favorite is Mike's Natural Soap.  However...YMMV (your mileage may vary) when it comes to any shaving item.  What works for one might not work for another.  Enjoy your shaves and I am looking forward to everyone's participation in this thread. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
Thanks Mike. I will order some.

Thanks Warhawk. I will need to give yours a try too.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
For any one interested... Queen Charlotte Soaps has a 20% off sale going on at this moment.  I have never tried their soaps but I have read many of their positive reviews.

www.queencharlottesoaps.com

WARHAWK O0

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I'm interested in trying these types of shaving soaps, but I wanted to ask: Does it have to be a DE/Safety or straight razor when using this soap?
These hands of mine are not steady by any means, so I naturally have zero interest in safety/straight razor shaving. Would I still benefit from using these shaving soaps with cartridge razors, or am I better off sticking to manufactured creams?
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
I'm interested in trying these types of shaving soaps, but I wanted to ask: Does it have to be a DE/Safety or straight razor when using this soap?
These hands of mine are not steady by any means, so I naturally have zero interest in safety/straight razor shaving. Would I still benefit from using these shaving soaps with cartridge razors, or am I better off sticking to manufactured creams?

Oh Hell no!!! The luxury of these soaps can be enjoyed with any razor!!

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Wow!  Another great thread.
Mike, I recently tried Razorock myself and I love this stuff.  I am using their Mughetto di Bologna scent and I find it to be intoxicating. 

As to suggestions for you to try, you might be surprised by how good Art of Shaving soaps are.  I believe their soaps are manufactured in Italy by the same folks that make Valobra soap.  Damn good stuff.

If you really want a treat, give Castle Forbes a try.  I know it is a cream, but it has the texture and consistency of a soft soap similar to Razorock.  Personally I think Castle Forbes Lavender is the finest Cream or soap I have ever used.  Pricey, but well worth every cent.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Thanks Prophet!! I'm going to purchase a few more of the RazoRock soaps... I love the stuff that much. It is also made in Italy... apparently using some very old techniques.
I'll also be ordering some Mike's Natural soaps on the recommendation fo Warhawk.

Cella also has my interest peaked.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
I always have an Arko stick on hand....just about the best lather and for cheap money.

Love anything I've tried from Mama Bear's....her Awakenings is massively menthol on a hot sticky morning.  Follow it up with a splash of Osage Rub aftershave and you'll think you've stuck your head in a snowdrift.

Ogalalla is also GREAT stuff and has customer service that is equal to Mama Bear's.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
I've tried mama bears, TOBS avocado, Eucris, and others. I now only use Speick or la toja shave sticks...