Author Topic: interview advice  (Read 6661 times)

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
interview advice
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
hey guys i have a job interview this coming week and i have not shaved in a month or so and i want to get back on it. but i was windering if it would be better to shave before or after the job interview. i have heard various opinions abour how since i am so young if showed up to the interview with a shaved head i would look like a "skin head" and not make a good impresiion. so any advice or opinions would be very helpful.
thanks

sly for life!!!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: interview advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
My recommendations:

Shave before the interview. Assume that you didn't shave, then got the job, and then shaved. It feels to me like deception.

Be your confident self whom we've seen here many times. It's who you are.

Dress better than the average jobseeker.
Good manners, of course.

Prepare some questions to have in mind that you can ask the interviewer about the company and/or job which demonstrates that you are serious about the opportunity. Target them towards contributing to the company's success - not about "what are the benefits for me" or "how soon can I expect to be promoted to a better position."

Have your answer ready in case the interviewer comments on your Slyness. "Why did you decide to shave your head?" "How long have you been shaving your head?" Etc.

They've got a job to fill and they're looking for the right fit. I really don't think a hairstyle is going to be a deciding factor.

You can do it.

If you want to expand on your original post ...
What industry is the job in?
How many employees at this particular location?
Do you know any of them, and do you know if anyone at the location is currently Sly?
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mav6996

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
I'm interviewing too this week.  I'm going in sly.  Yes, that'll probably be the first thing potential employers will notice, but with the number of sly guys around they should get over it quick.  So, in addition, my plan is to dress sharp. project confidence, answer questions honestly and then show an interest in the job and company by asking questions about it.  Finally, if I want the job then I'll let them know and ask them to give it to me.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »
I assume you will be well-dressed for the interview?

Nice clothes and a bald head do not a skin-head make!
<---------

You will look neat and trimmed, and all you'll need is to let your confidence shine through.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
How not to dress for an interview:

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
How not to dress for an interview:

oh darn, thats exactly how i was planing on going. i guess gettind the head tattoo would be a bad idea too huh?  :*))
sly for life!!!

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
My recommendations:

Shave before the interview. Assume that you didn't shave, then got the job, and then shaved. It feels to me like deception.

Be your confident self whom we've seen here many times. It's who you are.

Dress better than the average jobseeker.
Good manners, of course.

Prepare some questions to have in mind that you can ask the interviewer about the company and/or job which demonstrates that you are serious about the opportunity. Target them towards contributing to the company's success - not about "what are the benefits for me" or "how soon can I expect to be promoted to a better position."

Have your answer ready in case the interviewer comments on your Slyness. "Why did you decide to shave your head?" "How long have you been shaving your head?" Etc.

They've got a job to fill and they're looking for the right fit. I really don't think a hairstyle is going to be a deciding factor.

You can do it.

If you want to expand on your original post ...
What industry is the job in?
How many employees at this particular location?
Do you know any of them, and do you know if anyone at the location is currently Sly?

the job is like youth councilor at a residentual youth services home.
i dont know exactly how many employees there are.
i dont who works there so i may or may not know someone
and i don't know if there are any slys.
i have worked as a youth before, for about 5 summers i was a youth councilor at a summer camp.
sly for life!!!

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »

the job is like youth councilor at a residentual youth services home.
i dont know exactly how many employees there are.
i dont who works there so i may or may not know someone
and i don't know if there are any slys.
i have worked as a youth before, for about 5 summers i was a youth councilor at a summer camp.

sly for life!!!

Andrei

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
Keep in mind that an interview works both ways: the employer needs to know if you're the person he's looking for and you need to find out if that employer offers what you need.
So, be yourself (I know it's easier to say than to do) and just see how it goes.
IMO the employer will be more interested in what you have to offer than in your hair style.

Good luck with the interview!

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
At the end of the interview ask if you got the job; if the decision has not yet been taken ask when it will be.  If somebody asks you "how did the interview go?" you should be able to give a definite answer.

If they have a day or two of more interviews write a letter to the the person that interviewed you , thanking them for the interview while mentioning a detail or two that came up.  When it is time for the decision to be taken you want that person to remember you.

If your hair, or lack of it is a deciding factor it was not a company that you wanted to work for.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
uwm. if being bald means being yourself, if it means feeling comfortable, you should shave it off. it doesn't really matters the way you look out there, it means what you represent.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
hey guys just thought i would let you i (and my sly srlf) felt the interview went pretty good. i took as much as your advice i could remember, i shaved the day of the interview, dressed and had some questions for them after the interview. i should know either end of this week or begining of next. will post when that happens. but once again. thank you brothers.

i love being apart of the SLY family.  8)
sly for life!!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
Sounds good, don't forget the thank you note--shows you have some business manners and brings your presentation back to their mind.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Wishing you a positive feedback from your prospective employer.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
I hope U get the job and keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!