Author Topic: Blade is 'skipping' against the grain  (Read 2249 times)

Offline skinnyjones

• Learning the way of Sly
Blade is 'skipping' against the grain
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
I'm new to head shaving, but not wet shaving, so I figured I'd try a shave with only a DE. I went for the most aggressive choice possible, hoping that I'd get a closer shave than the previous two I'd done, one with a Mach 3, and the other with a standard Merkur (I don't know the model number, but it's not the HD; it's a lot lighter), but only on the sides of my head (more flat surface area, less risk of getting cut) - I went with a Merkur Slant Bar and a fresh Feather blade. I used a badger/boar brush and TOBS Avocado shave cream.

The shave was cut-free, although the sides of the back of my neck are a bit irritated (the Slant has never given me a completely irritation-free shave on my face, though, so I'm not surprised). Overall, it was closer than the previous two head shaves, but I also owe that to a shorter time period between shaves.

After one pass with the grain I was confident that I'd be able to do against the grain, but I'm having the same issue as with the Mach 3 and the other Merkur - the blade skips when I go against the grain. As a result, I'm going across the grain on the second pass, which gets closer, but doesn't get me to the elusive BBS. As I sit here, about 2.5 hours later, my head feels very stubbly if I rub it against the grain.

I'd like to stick with the DE because I still have a decent supply of Feathers, and I don't shave most of my face since I have a beard. I'm quite surprised that this combination, of any razor and blade, still resisted going against the grain. Is this goal simply unrealistic for a new head shaver?

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Blade is 'skipping' against the grain
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
What kind of cream or soap are you using?  What's your prep?  Do you use a shaving brush?

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »
In my limited experience using a DE on my head, I've found that I need to hold the razor a little more solidly and apply a bit more pressure than on my face, when going ATG. I also slow way down when going ATG. 

If a slant with a feather won't do it, nothing will! 

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Sorry, don't know how I missed the part about TOBS and the brush.

I would think, and this is the same advice face shavers get when they feel a razor isn't shaving them as well as it could, that it's down to technique.  I've yet to meet a person with hair that a feather blade (especially in a slant) couldn't cut.  Try experimenting with your angles a bit more. There'll be a sweet spot where the slant will feel like it's almost wiping the hair rather than cutting!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Offline skinnyjones

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. It seems to have been mostly technique, and shaving more consistently (i.e. everyday). A little pressure against the grain did the trick. The blade still doesn't feel like it's 'wiping' the hair away despite how sharp it is, but it's getting better.