Author Topic: To Shave or not to shave  (Read 34124 times)

Offline Who Knows

• Sly Jr.
To Shave or not to shave
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »
17 and balding what do you all think about shaving it? or what should i do.

Offline Lee

• Sly Jr.
Re: To Shave or not to shave
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
Give it a go WhoKnows.  Looking at your pics,  I think you will very pleased.  And Welcome to SBG!

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood Who Knows. Its time to get rid of whats left of your hair.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Welcome Who .... I think you will be incredibly surprised at how good you look with a shaved head. The focus will no longer be on your thinning hair.

Take control and feel the confidence of being in charge of your destiny.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Who Knows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Just have concerns about where i have somewhat of a dark tan if i do shave my head my head will be discolored from having what hair i do to shaving it off also on how my high school friends and teachers along with my family will think of me.

Offline Who Knows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Also would like some tips on what i should use and how.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
Welcome, Who Knows!....Yes, it appears you are on your way to MPB....but if you don't think you could handle such a drastic change, maybe you could just buzz it to see what it looks like shorter, If you do go sly, give it a try for 30 days, by using the 30-day rule...If you don't like it you can always grow it back....For what it's worth, we just had an 18-year old guy who took the plunge and said he LIKED it...and I think he wasn't even balding.....Good Luck and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
Do it.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
When does school start again? It varies widely across the country ...

Piggybacking on what SirHarry wrote ... you can "ease" into the clean scalp - byt cutting it shorter each time you get a haircut, or (my recommendation) get yourself a set of hair clippers and cut it using the longest "guard" on the clippers (often a #4) and then every week or 10 days cut it again with the next shorter length. That will reduce the surprise when people see you because they've been growing accustomed to the new look all along, and as the hair gets shorter more sunlight will reach the scalp and it will begin to develop some color.

You could even stick with a #1 for a while, or the "no guard" which is really short. But I'll warn you, once you shave it to the scalp you're unlikely to go back. That slick feeling is really awesome. Although I've missed a couple days of face shaving since May, I haven't missed a single day of head shaving. It's very addictive.

Look around the other threads here. You'll find lots of information by guys of all ages and interests and parts of the world. Very informative and supportive.

Personally I use the HeadBlade razor and HeadSlick shave cream - awesome combination. (See www.headblade.com for info and video, products are available online, Amazon and in many drug stores.) Easy to use - just take your time in the first few weeks because your scalp will be tender and needs a little time to toughen up. You can have quite an elaborate shaving ritual (which you'll read about in other threads), but just a razor and shave cream is enough to get started. If you have problems with red bumps (irritation) look at Bump Patrol and Shave Secret. Lots of info on those as well.

And if you have other questions ... just post and someone will be along shortly to respond. I can guarantee that.

Offline Free at Last

• Head up Eye to Eye
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
Yes its time for a New Look!! 
Im on day14 and Im actually starting to like my new look
I made such a big deal about loosing my hair.
Tried programs that resulted in a Big lost in Money$ and Time
Had to live a life in fear of....... "What will people think"?
Then I realized to accept that being bald is not a bad thing  (thanks to my friends here at Sly)
I even found new confidence in holding my ground in social events
Seems like you get a different respect
Your 17 looking 30.... buzz it short or have fun with the plunge and shave it
You will look younger and it feels Great when you work out
Its funny shocking people too......and you will quickly realize who you are
Dont make it a big deal and it wont be
Besides.... you can always let it grow out-

The Truth Shall Set You Free

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »
imho.
keep those pictures. go and shave it off. take a new picture of you and then compare it with the old ones. you'll look 10 years younger.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
imho.
keep those pictures. go and shave it off. take a new picture of you and then compare it with the old ones. you'll look 10 years younger.

and 10 years better.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:38 AM »
Hello Who Knows, and a big welcome here...

Your photos reveal some serious MPB.  It makes you look a little older than 17.  I echo what has been said in response to your question.

I know this is easy for me to just say, but to be honest with you, I would shave it all off without hesitation.

The Sly look is "in", it feels amazing, it looks great and it will make you look young!

Trust me, shave it off....There is an excellent chance you will like it.

Judging from your photo, I thing Sly will suit you, Big time!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 05:48:25 AM »
Although we are encouraging you to shave it.......and if there is no issue you should, BUT you are 17 which means that you are a minor and presumably a high school senior still at home with your parents. If mom and dad are ok, fine and if the school dress code permits shaved heads, then you're good to go. If there is an issue with your parents and/or the school dress code with a shaved head, you might just want to keep it at a buzz until next spring when you graduate (I assume you'll be 18 by then) and then you can go all the way as a legal adult. Good luck man and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline silverking

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 03:42:13 AM »
the best thing was the post that said to start with a #4 and work your way down.

find which is the best.

I sort of have preferences different than "sly"
but maybe a #0 or #1 would be the best look for you.

or if you want you can attempt clean shaven  (maybe ask your mom or sibling for help the first couple times)

I love the stubble look but I'm a huge Miguel cotto fan though.  :@`