Author Topic: SABI DE -- Astra SP vs. BIC CP  (Read 3886 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
SABI DE -- Astra SP vs. BIC CP
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
The first two head and face shaves with my chubby, strong, relatively weighty, SABI that Warhawk sent me, across the world were heavenly.  I felt delight in my gut as it noisily, but smoothly, comfortably grazed every hair into the smoothest BBS I have ever had.  Were it not for Warhawk’s generosity, I may have possessed this marvellous DE and never test driven the Astra SP blades.

The SABI is a sturdy piece with a solid head and a not too short black resin grip.  It reminds me of a bulgy “Hot Rod.” A DE certainly worth owning, one I would recommend on any avid collectors shelf.  I feel almost sufficiently equipped with my two acquisitions, as well as "Super Stoked!”

This morning I changed the razor to a BIC Chrome Platinum, my favourite blade on the SA shelves up to now. (There are 8 types of blades here.)  The difference was immediately apparent. “This was the same SABI, but no way was it the same shave!”

The quality of the Astra is far superior than most of the blades I have tried so far, but I will certainly drive all 8 brands through the SABI and follow up.

The DE experience just gets better, especially when you crack the right razor blade, just for you...

The Astra may just be it for me!

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: SABI DE -- Astra SP vs. BIC CP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
I had never even heard of Sabi razors before you mentioned them Waine, despite over a year of acquiring razors!

With DEs my favourite blades are Astras or Feathers.  Feathers are expensive and I can only get 3-4 shaves out of them. Astras last me a bit longer and are so much cheaper!  I bought 200 off Bestshave for US $8 per 100, plus a couple of dollars postage.  They might be cheaper elsewhere but I'd be surprised!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
@ Waine:  Glad that you are enjoying the SABI razor paired with the Astra SP.  All I gotta say is the Astra SP are one smooth blade IMO.

@Bluebriz:  Brian.... those Sabi razors are some nice looking razors.  The stocky tough handles are a favorite from some of the reviews
                  that I have read.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
I saw some photos online and they look nice.  Just weird how I never noticed the name on B&B before!

I won't be buying though, as you know I promised SWMBO I wouldn't be buying any more razors myself.  Might be able to persuade her to buy one for my birthday or Xmas though!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »
Hello BlueBriz,

I have decided that the two DE's I now have are sufficient --  The SABI and the Gillette SS FT. (The one you sent me.)  I use both in my rotation.  It’s easy to get carried away and just acquire more and more.  That’s OK if one wants to be a collector, but I am only interested in getting a super shave.  So I have chosen to stave off any budding RAD and be content, well for now anyway...

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »
Good luck with that Waine!

I'm happy with what I have now, some DEs, SEs, injectors and straights.  I only have one face and head!  I do have a few aftershaves, brushes, creams and soaps though!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
Bluebriz, I am constantly staving off the temptation to acquire more. My shaving gear is pretty neat right now with my soaps, creams, shaving oil, and aftershaves, 2 DE's, 600 blades, and the Headblade. But I have to guard against walking past the toiletry isle when I go shopping sometimes. LOL...

Its all part of the "hobby"I guess, and who says shaving cannot be a hobby? Especially if you have to do it anyway.

This forum is very electric and "influental" in that we inspire each other to discover different shaving methods and products to enhance this necessity.

Shot for all the avice and support!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:09:50 AM »
@Waine:  Have U started your testing of blades on the SABI?  or have U been exclusively using the Astra SP?  Looking forward to your blade reviews.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!