Author Topic: Do you use a shaving bowl / mug?  (Read 8033 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Do you use a shaving bowl / mug?
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:47:32 AM »
Do you use a shaving bowl / mug?

Since discovering the wonderful world of “Wet shaving”, I had never tried a shaving bowl before.  My favourite shaving soap comes in a plastic container which I use to whip up my later directly inside the container until it puffs up nicely.  If I use the “Williams” shaving stick, I would simply rub the stick on my wet stubble and then rub it into a lather with my brush.  If I used the Palmolive like shaving creams in the tube, I would squeeze a blob in the bristles then lather on my face.  How wrong I was?

After extensive Wet shaving research, the other day I decided to buy a little glass bowl that is shaped like a shaving mug, but not the real deal.  I squeezed an almond size dollop into the bowl, wet my trusty Tweezerman brush and whisked away.  After applying the lather to my face, I let the remaining cream on the brush rest in the bowl for the second pass.

What an experience, I have been missing out on this old technique for so long.  It takes a bit of experimentation to know how much water to put on the brush, and how long to “whip” for etc, but that’s part of the fun of discovery.

Now, I love this technique and I highly recommend that if you are a DE shaver, you try it, if you have never before.  Completely convinced that this is the way to go, I am on the hunt for a nice shaving bowl, and I will get one eventually!

Does anyone else use the bowl?  What “brand” do you use? What is your experience? 

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Do you use a shaving bowl / mug?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
I have an old "Burma Shave" mug that I tried using a couple of times but it's too small to get a good whipping motion going. I'm going to find a nice bowl to use.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:23:13 AM »
Hi Waine,

yes, you're right, it's a great experience to use a bowl or mug. Even if I prefer lathering directly in the face, mostly using stick formed soaps. But every now and then I like to celebrate the shaving procedure a little bit more...and then it's "mug time". I tried some ceramic bowls and now found one that has a little rough inner surface. This gives a good lather, I think it has to do with the contact of the brush bristles with the roughness of the bowl.

But the best foam I get out of my homemade coconut bowl...

It has good space for a lot of foam...and there is no need to fear that it cracks when touching the sink or something else. It's only polished, no varnish or something else. The aluminum ring works as a stand and is applicated by a lot of hot glue.

Works good for me, was fun making it and the cost was almost nothing...

Best wishes from Germany

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:49:31 AM »
I use a bowl with creams and soaps most of the time.  Even when i use soaps in little tubs i usually move the brush to my bowl so i can add more water if needed, as i feel it gives me more control than I get if just preparing in the soap bowl or face lathering.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »
Stevie, the bowl looks great ... and it's a nice personal connection that you crafted it yourself. Well done!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:05:56 AM »
I have an old "Burma Shave" mug that I tried using a couple of times but it's too small to get a good whipping motion going. I'm going to find a nice bowl to use.

This one is decent and unbreakable! I use it but see how a larger bowl would work even better.
http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=48

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »
I use an old "Old Spice" shaving mug. I don't even think they make them any more.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
Currently... I am using my trusty regular shaving mug.

@Stevie... that is a beautiful shaving bowl.  On a side note... I love that chrome razor rack in the background.  Where did you get that?  That is beautiful.  I'm hoping to find a ceramic place and possibly make my own personal shaving mug.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
I used to use a bowl but drifted away from it for some reason. Now that I've gone sly and I'm shaving every day I'll probably go back to it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I use the one that came with the shaving brush that I bought from Wally World back around the Winter Holidays.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:48:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing guys.

The only decent shaving mug I can find in stores here is one by Tabac.  A nice Tabac shaving soap in a Tabac mug.  I think I will treat myself to this in the near future to complete my awesome Wet Shave journey.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »

@Stevie... that is a beautiful shaving bowl.  On a side note... I love that chrome razor rack in the background.  Where did you get that?  That is beautiful.  I'm hoping to find a ceramic place and possibly make my own personal shaving mug.

WARHAWK O0

OT on.... ;)

Hi Warhawk,

the rack is homemade too. I searched for a way to store the razors but couldn't find something fitting. So I took some aluminum sheet, a bit of threaded steel rod with nuts and some aluminum pipe....and there we go. Was about one hour in the workshop and it takes up to 8 razors.

I found some more pics where you can see a little bit more of it:

OT off.... ;)

Best wishes and sorry for OT....

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:13:49 AM by Stevie Hood »

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
I agree with Rob ...I love my hard rubber mug.  It's great for clumsy me in the shower...no fear of it breaking.  Have a stainless bowl (looks almost like an ice cream shop serving bowl) that I got on Amazon...works nicely for soaps that come in a tub.

But what I want is a shaving scuttle.....it's a double walled shaving bowl.  You fill the void between the bowl and wall with scalding water for HOT lather.   There are several makers ...check BadgerandBlade.com for more info...I'm avoiding thinking of the potters that make the good ones since it's not in the budget at this moment....
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Slynito

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
I use an old "Old Spice" shaving mug. I don't even think they make them any more.

I have one of those mugs, too. I got it a very long time ago..it works!

O0

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »
This is my shaving bowl set up / scuttle. I started out with the white bowl on the right (from Bed, Bath and Beyond) and used that for a while with decent results. Then one day I came upon the metal bowl in the cooking section of a local farmers market. I thought it might just rest inside the white bowl and I would have a make shift scuttle. Well, I was right. It rests inside the white bowl quite well and helps to keep my later warm.

My sudo scuttle

It's a cheap setup too! The white bowl cost $2-$3 and the metal bowl set me back $4-$5.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.