Author Topic: First impression of my first DE shave  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
First impression of my first DE shave
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »
I had my first DE shave last night and was quite surprised by my reactions to it. Here are some of my thoughts:

I wasn't nervous at all about shaving with the new razor but I had to temper my enthusiasm a bit or the new "nick stick" my have gotten a serious workout. I expected a nick or two but  actually came away with no nicks at all.

The sheer pleasure I got from shaving like this was a bit unexpected. I thought the additional time needed to make multiple, slower passes would test my patience but quite the opposite happened. By the time my 3 pass shave was complete, I was so relaxed and pleased with the whole experience I couldn't believe it.

I had an outstanding shave... again, a bit unexpected for the first time. I'm betting I'll get even better shaves as I get better with the razor. My wife and daughter couldn't stop rubbing my face and commenting on how smooth it was.

About the shaving brush..... I've been using a $6 Wally World synthetic brush for about 3 years. My first thought when I used my new Vulfix brush was "Why the Hell would I use that cheap, synthetic brush when I can use this natural bristle brush for only a few dollars more ($22)". The difference in quality FAR outweighs the difference in price.

A good quality shave cream/soap is definetly worth the price. The RazoRock is unbelievable.... and I'm betting I didn't even get the lather as good as I could have. I'lll be ordering a few more of their products with other scents.

One of my first thought was "How will I know when I've got a close enough shave that I don't have to make another pass". Well it's as obvious as can be. Frontierguy had a thread the other day about "The Sounds of Shaving". I noticed on the second pass that the sound of the razor cutting the hair was actually far less.... by the third pass completion... no sound at all. DONE!

The Edwin Jagger DE89L.... beautifully made. Quality far exceeds the price. Great shave.

And finally..... Absolute satisfaction. Yeah from something as simple as a shave of the face.... absolute satisfaction. I just kept thinking.... this is the way my Dad and my grandfathers did it, cool.

I'll be posting up a question or two later today

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: First impression of my first DE shave
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »
Post a photo!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:18:03 AM »
Mike,

Happy to hear that your first DE shave was a great experience.  You're right - it does take a little more time to shave with the DE, but it's very relaxing. 

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mike, your post was a nice read. I am somehow glad your introduction to the world of DE was a great one.  Perhaps some of the more "seasoned" Sly folk will now follow suit after reading your journey, and become DE converts.

Now, when will you give it a bash on your head?  I am guessing that you are most curious?
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »
I am guessing that you are most curious?

I'm going to give myself a week or so before I try shaving my head with it. I'm thinking I didn't have the angle of the head quite correct. this will take a little practice.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
Hey Mike:  Way to go my friend!!!  I'm so glad your DE debut was a great one.  There is nothing like the process of a DE shave.  It is very relaxing and "spa-like".   Enjoy your DE journey.  I know I am. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »

I'm going to give myself a week or so before I try shaving my head with it. I'm thinking I didn't have the angle of the head quite correct. this will take a little practice.
[/quote]

You'll get the hang of the angle pretty quickly and be ready to try the head shave.  I couldn't wait and plunged in the first night I had the DE.  It went remarkably well - two small nicks and a smooth shave.  Tried it again last night after practicing with the DE on my face for five days and it was even better. 

I'm sure you're looking forward to the experience and I know you'll love the result when you finally take the DE to your scalp!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
Mike, you are a very charismatic spokesman for DE. I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a while (being only 2 months into headshaving) but I'll be watching and pondering whether DE is in my future :-) Thanks for the personal experience.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »
Sounds great man, and it only gets better from here!

Your shaves will be better, and you might find yourself contemplating other soaps and creams....Not to mention wondering what other razors are like!  No rush though, EJDE89 razors are excellent razors!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
Frontier Guy, Hi there.

I have no doubt that you will thoroughly enjoy DE shaving.  I get this feeling that you will also be an excellent ambassador for DE 's if the bug bites you, and trust me, it does bite!

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."