Author Topic: Advice on HT scar  (Read 4455 times)

Offline newyorksly

• Learning the way of Sly
Advice on HT scar
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
This is a great website.  I started losing my hair when I was in college and was insecure about it so I went the route of HT's.  I'm now 40 and wish I'd never done it.   Regardless of what they tell you in the end it's not natural and I end up being anxious all the time about how the hair that is left on my head looks.   I've had 20 years of this, it's not worth it.  I'm seriously thinking about shaving my head and the only thing holding me back right now is concerns over the HT scar.

I'm just starting to look into what can be done about the scar.  If anybody has gone through this and has advice I'd appreciate it. 

If anybody's out there is thinking about having a hair transplant.  DON'T DO IT.  Even if you get a good doctor and get good initial results, in the long run you'll continue to lose hair and the worst part is you'll go on worrying about it.  Accept that you're losing your hair, take control, shave it off and be proud.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Advice on HT scar
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
I always wonder about calling these people "doctor". I was always under the impression that a doctor healed the "sick" and always remembered to "first, do no harm". Maybe I'm just being emotional.

That being said you have had an education throughout this ordeal that qualifies you as a teacher. You will, no doubt, have numerous opportunities to pass along your wisdom concerning this procedure to other young (and maybe not so young) men who are considering HT. Never be ashamed of these scars, they are proof of your expertise on this topic and also of your credentials as a teacher.

Welcome to this forum.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:18:50 PM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Lee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
NewYork,

Like you, I made the same horrific mistake.  My scarring is quite extensive.  I have about 75 "plug" scars in rows of 4 from ear to ear. Above those, I have the typical smiley face from ear to ear like most other HT victims.  And to make matters even worse, I had a scalp reduction too.  After Bosley butchered me in 1980, the second, third and fourth procedures were an attempt to repair the damage or to at least hide it.  I did have some luck with micropigmentation (tattooing) and was able to cut my hair down to a #1 guard, but I still felt like I wasn't completely free.  I longed to be a natural man.  What I was meant to be.

One of the members over at the HT repair site that I frequent lead me here to SBG.  With some helpful advice and steadfast encouragement I was able to muster the courage to shave the old noggin.  I went to work this past Friday expecting to get some comments on my new look, but the folks at work acted like I've been bald all my life!  It's remarkable how few people out there actually pay attention to our looks, I'm thankful for that.

I've been shaving clean for about a week now and I love the freedom.  There's nothing like riding in the car with the windows down on a cool evening.  I must admit, I stick my head out the window just to feel the cool breeze.  It's fantastic.

I'm still going to make an effort to improve the appearance of the scars and continue with the good old dermaroller device I've been using for the last 6 months.  It really has improved the scarring and made my skin much healther.  To be honest, I think the shaving does much the same thing.

Feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you in any way that I can.  It took me about a year to get to this point, but I finally made it.  Freedom!

Lee

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:49:31 PM by Lee »

Offline IllinoisBaldy

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
Welcome to SBG newyorksly.  I made the same mistake back in the mid 90's.  Three years ago I had my plugs surgically removed followed by 8 treatments of Fraxel laser to smooth the top of my head and the strip scar.  Fraxel definitely works to smooth scarred areas.  Ultimately, if your hair is dark like mine,  the problem shaving with a strip scar is the dark shadow surrounding the white scar.  Fraxel will not help with this.  There are methods to camo the scar such as micropigmentation or FUE into the scar but I have decided to leave it as is and make the best of it.  While I do struggle somtimes with the scar, its not as bad as you might think.  I have been shaving my head since 2009 and during this time only 3 people have asked about it.  Most people could care less or are too polite to ask.   Hope this helps.

Offline newyorksly

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
thanks for the advice and encouragement.  was it necessary to remove the plugs before you shaved?  ...and who does Fraxel Laser...dermatologist?

I'm going to see a dermatologist in a few weeks to see what they have to say about the scar.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »
Reading this makes me happy to be a part of a website that can help and encourage other people who have gone through the emotional pain of transplants and the raging battle in the mind, to just try and look acceptable to others and ourselves.  If we can spare even one person from going this expensive, disappointing route and rather encourage him to go Sly, we would have achieved a lot, I think. And not only to go Sly, but to realize that Sly is actually quite cool as well as socially acceptable.

Reading some of the older threads makes me realize more and more just how many men have literally gone through tough emotional agony over "Hair".  It also makes me realize how a simple change in attitude can free you from the chains of hair obsession or the unwarranted fear of hair loss.

This change of attitude comes from reading other life stories of guys like you and I as well as the genuine heartfelt support given here.

It also teaches me that we all have value in life.  Even being part of an awesome group such as this gives us a perfect opportunity to help and encourage others who are experiencing the struggles of coming to grip with hair loss.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline IllinoisBaldy

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
thanks for the advice and encouragement.  was it necessary to remove the plugs before you shaved?  ...and who does Fraxel Laser...dermatologist?

I'm going to see a dermatologist in a few weeks to see what they have to say about the scar.

No, but I had no idea how bad those micro/mini grafts would look shaved on an otherwise slick bald scalp.  I had no native hair to camo the plugs.  As far as fraxel, I consulted a number of docs who had a Fraxel laser.   Most were dermatologists but one was a plastic surgeon.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Hey nysly:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  Glad that ya joined us.  I am glad that U will soon be embracing what mother nature has given you.  Keep us posted 2 your road to slyness.  You are gonna love the freedom.   O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!