Author Topic: When to change DE blades  (Read 4170 times)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
When to change DE blades
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering how often you change out your DE blades.  I found that I can only get 2 or 3 full head and face shaves out of a blade before it starts to drag, but perhaps my technique needs to be honed.  Also not sure how high quality these Derby blades are since I have no other blades to compare them to.

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: When to change DE blades
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering how often you change out your DE blades.  I found that I can only get 2 or 3 full head and face shaves out of a blade before it starts to drag, but perhaps my technique needs to be honed.  Also not sure how high quality these Derby blades are since I have no other blades to compare them to.
Hey Bill:  Each DE shaver is different...YMMV (your miles may vary)...with that said... I change my blades after only 2 face & dome shaves.  I can probably stretch it out to 4 shaves but with the low costs of DE blades I do not want to risk any nicks or cuts.

Derby blades are some good blades.  I have tried them but so far my favorite blades are the Astra SP.  Shark Super Chrome and Gillette 70clocks Blacks are a close second.  I just love the value that I get from the Astra SP.  I still sample other DE blades but I always go back to the Astra SP.  U can get a 100 pack for under ten dollars from Amazon.  U can't beat that price.  Can U imagine buying 100 Fusion cartridges????  I don't even want 2 do the math on that one.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
Mel.... that long standing avatar of yours needs to be changed to the new "Double Edge Shaved" Warhawk. Maybe we can get a close up with you holding your razor??
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
I don't use the Derby..tried them once and it didn't feel really good for me. My alltime favorite is the Astra SP too...a good and inexpensive blade with the right sharpness to give a smooth shave.

But I noticed it also depends on the razor you use. In a Merkur 37c, it's a really good slant model, my Astra SP only lasts 3 to 4 face shaves. In a Merkur open comb I can get 6 to 7 shaves out of the same blade.

I only shave my face with the DE, for the dome I almost always use the Headblade. But I think using the DE for head and face you are not to bad with 3 complete shaves per blade.

Best regards from Germany...and always a sharp blade in the razor.... ;)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
What do you guys think of the 'Feather' blades?

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
Hi Mahaw,

the Feathers are a class of it's own. They are REALLY sharp but can give you a really smooth and gentle shave.

But you have to watch the movements you make with the razor...A little bit of moving in line with the edge can give you a cut.

For me it's the blade for the celebrated Sunday shave...but only for the face. On the head I would be afraid to loose to much blood.... :D

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
Yes I quite like them, though I think they are slightly to aggressive for me. I have shaved my head a couple of times and nicked myself, that's probably down to my technique though.

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
Derby blades are just ok, but I use them for my everyday blade when shaving my face. I have noticed that one out of every 10 to 15 or so might be a bum blade, or much better if reversed.  I also have a pack of feathers I use for special occasions. I have noticed I can get 6 to as many as 10 good shaves from a derby, but only a few from a feather. Of course, it has a lot to do with prep and the thickness of your beard.

I still haven't gotten the confidence to go after my scalp with my DE though.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
All the talk of DE blades and comparisons is helpful. Is Amazon one of the best sources?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
All the talk of DE blades and comparisons is helpful. Is Amazon one of the best sources?
Hey Rob:  Amazon is one of the best sites because of price; however, they also don't carry all the brands.  Other good sites are Lees Safety Razors,  West Coast Shaving,  The Italian Barber,  Razorbladesandmore,  BullGoose Shaving. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
I still haven't gotten the confidence to go after my scalp with my DE though.
Bucksfan:  U should definitely try a DE shave on the dome.  U sound like an expert when it comes to your face shaves;  that will definitely help you when U perform a DE shave on the noggin.  Trust me... there is no better feeling then a super, slick DE shave.  Of course it takes practice and time but the end result is priceless.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
I can get maybe 4 or 5 shaves out of a DE blade, but I use them only for face shaving, not for the head.

SE blades I find last a bit longer, injectors and blades for say, the Feather artist club razors or the Cobra Classic I can get maybe up to 8 shaves out of, but again, that would be face use only.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
I only expect three shaves on my face with a blade, regardless of the quality or brand.  The reason for this is that blades are so dirt cheap that there is no need to try to preserve the blade and stretch out the shaves to get maximum usage.  This is where DE shaving helps with any guilt of overspending.  Besides, I get these paranoid thoughts that the blade starts to get dirty or microscopically rusty after three shaves.  Others find that certain blades get better after the first shave.

For Head shaves and face shaves combined, I am with Warhawk -- two shaves, regardless of the blade of choice.

My stash of blades is slowly increasing.  Warning! -- “Blade accumulation may become addictive!”

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."