Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 750426 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1680 on: August 15, 2016, 07:54:08 AM »
Monday, August 15, 2016 SOTD

Barbaros TR 1 Razor w/ UFO Torpedo

Feather

Adagio by Barrister & Mann

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

Ice cube rub & refrigerated Adagio

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1681 on: August 15, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
Hi Cobranet: Nice pic . Thanks for sharing!

WARHAWK  O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1682 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
Hi Matt:  Enjoyed your thorough review! Keep those great pics coming!!!

WARHAWK  O0

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1683 on: August 15, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »
Lately I have been using my Standard Razors DE about every other day and still am experimenting with it in relation to my skin, blade choice, so forth.  I'm giving it a few more uses before I do an actual review with it.  It's an interesting tool in that stroke by stroke I've gotten different results.  Maybe I'm just used to a slant now but I am having a difficult time getting consistency with it vs my current go to, the 37c.  And when I say difficult time with consistency I mean one stroke will be perfect, then next a cheese grater, and the next just coast over the hair and not cut anything. I'm sure it's my angle and approach with this but I'll get into more detail in a few days when I post up about it.  As a whole I love it's looks, features, feel, weight, grip... All of that, I'm just having a heck of a time "dialing in" the consistency.  I'm also house sitting for a family member for the next two weeks so I only brought bare bones essentials with me (not even a brush!) so my review of that standard razors de may be a little more delayed then I thought. 

Quick SOTD catch up:
Yesterday's SOTD was 37c, feather, barbasol aloe, witch hazel + osage rub.
Today will be 37c, GSB, noxzema medicated shave cream, witch hazel + osage rub.

These were both just quick "get the job done" type shaves but tomorrow I'll have more time to play, so to speak, so I'll be pulling out the standard razors de again for another run.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1684 on: August 15, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
I just responded to your other post about your new razor, do you like the Feather blades? From what I have read and seen online they are the sharpest blades available but some people complain that they don't give a smooth shave. The blades I use are plenty sharp enough, do you notice a real difference when you use a Feather in your 37c compared to your other favorite blades? I always laugh when I watch Geofatboy's videos, no matter how aggressive or mild a razor he uses he just about always uses a Feather, of course if you have ever seen his videos I don't think he could cut himself if he tried. I am an avid watcher of Paul Humphreys' videos on youtube ( Paul H Films)...he shaves with different razors and different blades and different everything in each video, but he gets consistent great shaves because he has great technique. Super light touch=no cuts, no irritation. He uses Feathers once and a while but I have never heard him say much about the blades.  After using my 37c, I kind of want to get a Futur to try it out. Pretty sure that the touch I have developed with my 34c and 37c will prevent me from cutting myself up but after getting my 37c I wonder if I ever need to get another razor.....will any of them give me a better shave than my slant? I doubt it....I mean, how close of a shave can you possibly get? :o 

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1685 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
Great post Cobranet.  I've often thought about a lot of the same things you said.  I'm not giving up on the standard razors but I just love my 37c sooo much.  As for the feathers, I've only recently started liking them and I still average about 1 rough shave for every 2 good ones with a feather.  I do love the gillette silver blues for their smoothness and they are my most used blade so far (them in the 37c is like friggin butter man) but now that I've started dabbling with sharper blades the silver blues are starting to underwhelm me occasionally. Leading me to the gillette 7 o'clock blacks... These have been great and are economical (packs are 7 blades, not 5) even with their higher price tag (average around 2.75 per pack non-bulk purchase).  Feathers are all sharp and no smooth, silver blues are all smooth with a decent amount of sharp... Now the 7oc blacks give the sharpness of feathers with the smoothness of silver blues. I do still seem to nick myself with them occasionally though which is why I more commonly use the silver blues. I want a gold futur as a show piece for my collection one day but the thought of an adjustable razor is just so many more variables for me to obsess about, for no reason really lol.

Geofatboy's videos also make me laugh but it's because I'm originally from the Nj/Pa/Ny area so hearing him talk is a nice little dose of home haha.  His videos are awesome though and he is very knowledgable.  I also subscribe to an account under the name nick shaves, his videos are great too and I highly recommend them.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1686 on: August 15, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »
Nuàvia Blu
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega boar
Gem Damaskeene (1914-1915)
Gem PTFE (2)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1687 on: August 17, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »
Chiseled Face Groomatorium - Midnight Stag
Ever-Ready 100T w/TGN Finest
RazoRock Black Mamba | Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)

Offline KirillSteblov

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1688 on: August 18, 2016, 01:42:38 AM »
Looks great! I think I need to buy the same as I often have some razor bumps. Thanks God, I have found easy ways to get rid of razor bumps here https://ambrossimo.com/get-rid-of-razor-bumps/.The easiest way was to apply cold compress and use essential oils. Guys, if anybody has this problem, recommend you to use their tips about natural remedies as I have had this experience.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:44:44 AM by KirillSteblov »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1689 on: August 19, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »
Dr. Jon's - Hydra | Rubberset 200-4 | RazoRock Stealth Slant v4 | Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum Black (1)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1690 on: August 20, 2016, 06:28:23 AM »
This is what i used today. Cleanest shave ever! Wife had to use the special shaver though as i couldn't hold it with one hand!
Soap gave me a really waxy shine too!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1691 on: August 20, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
Hi Cobranet and Slycat:  Glad that you are participating in the SOTD thread with me and Matt.  Keep it up my friends.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1692 on: August 20, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
This is what i used today. Cleanest shave ever! Wife had to use the special shaver though as i couldn't hold it with one hand!
Soap gave me a really waxy shine too!

:*)) :*))

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1693 on: August 20, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
 SlyCatCrossing: It is kinda difficult to beat a slant razor when it comes to head shaves.  If you think the 37c is a great slant razor . . . you should get an iKON Slant #102.  I promise that it shaves better than a 37c. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1694 on: August 20, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Hi Matt:  I see you are showing some love to your RR razors!!! O0   On a side note . . . when you are ready for the Wolfman like we talked... you are in for a real treat.  I had my very 1st shave with it today!!!  Love it!!!

WARHAWK O0