Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 750432 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1635 on: July 10, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »
Went nuts and decided to try a few new things all in the same shave....

Sunday 7/10/16 SOTD

Merkur 37c
Gillette Silver Blue
Headslick (brush + face lather)
VDH Boar Brush
Witch Hazel + Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Second time using my 37c, first time using the GSB blades, first time shaving with headslick via brush, and.....ready for it?  I did 1 ATG pass.  One of the best damn shaves ive ever had.  This slant is blowing my mind.

All other variables were the same as usual:
shave in shower before washing face, apply noxzema skin cream after shave and let it sit while washing body (cleans face and forehead while soothing neck and cheeks), then hot rinse, cold rinse, witch hazel spray all over shaved area, let dry, apply aftershave of choice.

Cheers!
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1636 on: July 10, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
Sorry, forgot the picture.

Side note... I can't wait until my la toja shave stick comes in! Lol I've been just having fun with left over creams and auch lately

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1637 on: July 15, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »
Hi SlyCat:  Glad that you are getting some great shaves with the 37C. Love your SOTD pic.  Keep it up.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1638 on: July 15, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
Friday, July 15, 2016 SOTD

This week I have been shaving with my newly purchased Barbaros TR-1 razor.  This stainless steel beauty is elegant and well-built.  I have been very impressed with this razor.  My face and head shaves have been amazing.  I cannot say enough great things about this razor. 

Razor:  Barbaros TR-1

Blade: Feather

Soap:  Adagio by Barrister and Mann

Brush:  Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Adagio aftershave splash

Also.... all week I have been using the Adagio by Barrister and Mann.  The performance of this soap is incredible.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1639 on: July 15, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
@120:  Hi Matt:  I am loving the glissant-based formula of Barrister and Mann's Adagio.  Do you have any suggestions on another glissant-based Barrister and Mann soap? 

WARHAWK O0

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1640 on: July 15, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »
My shave for tomorrow (7-16-16). Posting it now since I will be too busy to post it after I shave in the morning. Badger Brush, Lab blue Blade, Merkur 34c, and Mudder Focker! Witch Hazel post shave.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1641 on: July 16, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
@120:  Hi Matt:  I am loving the glissant-based formula of Barrister and Mann's Adagio.  Do you have any suggestions on another glissant-based Barrister and Mann soap? 

WARHAWK O0
Nice SOTD there, Mel!  Awesome razor!  I'm glad you're liking Glissant.  Will is slowly transitioning everything over to Glissant (except for the "Latha" line, of course).  If you like the lighter scent of Adagio, you'll probably like 42 or even Rhapsody.  I also really like this year's Cologne Russe, Night Music, and of course, Roam. However, those last 3 are quite different from Adagio, but they all have the Glissant base.  My favorites of all are Fireside and Le Grande Chypre.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1642 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »
My shave for tomorrow (7-16-16). Posting it now since I will be too busy to post it after I shave in the morning. Badger Brush, Lab blue Blade, Merkur 34c, and Mudder Focker! Witch Hazel post shave.

Nice shave!  I probably should get around to trying Mudder Focker.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1643 on: July 16, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
Van Yulay - Soap of the Gods - "Achilles"
Rubberset 200-4 w/Omega boar
Above the Tie S1 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black) (1)

Achilles is rapidly ascending my list of favorites.  It's one of my favorite scents, and the tallow and clay facilitate a top-notch lather.  I've reviewed Achilles before, so I won't belabor it except to say you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

I was so excited to have my Omega boar knot back in the rotation.  Without question, this knot is my favorite and my go-to for quite some time.  My only complaint was the ugly, cheap feeling handle of the PRO 48.  Thankfully, Nate Singleterry's skills restored a Rubberset 200-4 and provided a much more suitable home for this well broken-in knot.

I would be remiss not to thank Jeff Cantrell for answering my B/S/T request and providing a very suitable host handle.  The 200-4s are in the wild, but many of them have seen better days.  Jeff's contribution was a very good foundation to showcase Nate's skills.  There are some very good folks in this community.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1644 on: July 17, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
Saturday 7/16/16 SOTD (posted day after)

Merkur 37c slant
Gillette Silver Blue
La Toja Shave Stick
VDH Boar Brush
Witch hazel + Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Pre shower cold water shave. This combined with the slant has been giving great shaves.  Im starting to love the silver blue blades.  La Toja is amazing, it smells and feels great plus is perfect for face lathering. I have an omega s brush on the way since my vdh boar is older now plus I prefer non animal based products when possible. 

I'll post today's SOTD later or tomorrow morning, I'm on vacation in St Augustine and having very nice relaxing shaves in our personal cabin bathroom :)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1645 on: July 17, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Here's mine for today.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1646 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
I got a little itchy and couldn't wait.  What can I say, I'm an addict lol

Sunday 7/17/16 SOTD

Going to see an awesome musical comedy duo by the name of Flight Of The Conchords (HBO Fame) tonight at the St Augustine (FL) Amphitheater so I treated myself with a nice cool proraso shave per a sample tube I found at a local "man crafts" artisan shop in town.

Merkur 37c
Gillette Silver Blue (love these guys, may buy 100)
Proraso cream (green)
VDH Boar Brush
Witch hazel + Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Standard SOP: Cold water shave PRE shower, 2 pass (xtg both directions), noxzema face wash in shower to sooth skin, witch hazel then Aqua Velva Ice Sport AS.  Nice cool and comfortable shave.  Between the proraso and the AV I'm hoping to stay cool outside in the FL heat all night

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1647 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
July 19

37c
Proraso Green Cream
Omega S Brush
Crystal Blade
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

First shave with my new omega S brush (I want to say model 1077 or something like that.  It's the smallest of all of their synthetic). I LOVE this brush.  It was cheap and it works great! Builds lather in seconds, dries completely in less then a minute after use but retains water during use very well.  The crystals... not sure yet.  I preferred the silver blues however I'll give the crystals a few more tries to be fair.  They weren't bad, just not as nice for me as the GSB.  Id put them right between the Astra SP and GSB in terms of balance between comfort and closeness. 

I highly suggest trying the omega S brush series.  I got mine through west coast shaving but you can use your preferred supplier.  They are cheap enough that if you don't like it you didn't waste much.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1648 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »
Tuesday Night, July 19, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  Barbaros TR-1

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  42 by Barrister & Mann

Brush:  Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

Dessert:  Ice cube rub & refrigerated Barrister & Mann 42

I have been enjoying lately the new glissant-based shave soap by Barrister & Mann Adagio.  So just the
other day...I received a surprise in the mail... it was a great wet shaving gift of Barrister & Mann Shave Soap 42 & the after shave splash.  I just want to give another big thanks to our very own 120ina55.  Matt....I really
appreciate your generosity.  I am not as good as you when it comes to the descriptions of the the scents. All
I gotta say is that the 42 is a great shave soap. I absolutely love it's intoxicating scent and the performance is elite. I cannot wait for my next shave.

WARHAWK  O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1649 on: July 19, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
SlyCat:  Nice SOTD pics....keep em  coming.

WARHAWK  O0