Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 751377 times)

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1575 on: May 08, 2016, 07:21:51 AM »
I haven't posted for a while because recent surgery made it such that I can really only do neck clean-up for a while.  I'm a bit bummed because I can't shave my head and can barely manage my face.  I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm just lurking.  I hope more will post SOTD's here so I can shave vicariously through them in the meanwhile!

If you're interested in the particulars of my surgery, here's my blog post from Wednesday: http://www.matthilton.net/2016.05.01_arch.html#1462391775750

Sorry to read about your injury, did not try your video yet , too early in the morning, maybe later. Best of luck with the therapy and feel better.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #1576 on: May 09, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »
Hate to hear that man! Hope you feel better! I've started using a DE on Saturdays when I can take my time. I'll probably start posting pics regularly. I'm getting my head smoother with every shave.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1577 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:37 PM »
Tuesday, May 10, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC

Blade:  Gillette Platinum Plus

Soap:  Jabonman Citricos

Brush:  Semogue 620

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1578 on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
Hi AJ:  We look forward to seeing your SOTD pics.

WARHAWK O0

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #1579 on: May 10, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »
Thanks Warhawk!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1580 on: May 12, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
Chiseled Face - Pine Tar | BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense | Mongoose B3 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle | Kai Captain Titan Mild (1) | Barrister and Mann - Roam Kyovu

For those that don't know, I had a complete left distal biceps tendon rupture a couple weeks ago.  I had surgery to reattach the tendon last week and had been in an immobilizing bulk dressing (essentially a cast without the plaster) since the surgery.  The dressing was removed yesterday.  I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for 6 weeks.  I'm also not to begin physical therapy until then as well.  I can do active range-of-motion, but I am to stop before it is painful.  As of today, I can straighten my arm to about 160°, but I can only flex it to about 90°.  Thus I cannot touch my face with my left (dominant) hand.  The bulky dressing was preventing me from shaving because I couldn't even hold the puck with my left hand.  Since I'm out of the dressing, I decided I would try to shave.  I only have about 50% supination, but I was able to hold the puck with my left hand and load with my right (non-dominant) hand. 

This was my first shave since my surgery, so it was 12 days of "stubble".  This is why I chose the Mongoose for this belated head and face shave.  I know it would have been advisable to knock it down with clippers first, but I knew the Mongoose was up to the task.  I hadn't used the Mongoose since January, but it felt quite natural, especially with the Triad Rolling Hex handle.  In light of the extra dense stubble, I made 2 WTG passes and I skipped the XTG pass going straight to the ATG pass.  Shaving only with my right hand made the left parietal region awkward, but the long handle Triad and the Mongoose's easy-to-find angle resulted in weeper-less, irritation-free, BBS regardless.  Success!  It feels so good to be bald again!!!

Offline Stephen95

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1581 on: May 12, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Hi young lad here 21 year sold thinking if shaving but nervous any ideas?

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1582 on: May 13, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »
My Vacation started today....maybe tomorrow when I get paid I will go up to the art of shaving at the Mall of La. and check out some of their DE's...just sayin'

I would save your money and shop somewhere else for a DE. That place is ridiculously overpriced, they charge like $20 more than you'd pay anywhere else for a DE. Hope your vacation goes well!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1583 on: May 14, 2016, 03:41:14 AM »
My Vacation started today....maybe tomorrow when I get paid I will go up to the art of shaving at the Mall of La. and check out some of their DE's...just sayin'

I would save your money and shop somewhere else for a DE. That place is ridiculously overpriced, they charge like $20 more than you'd pay anywhere else for a DE. Hope your vacation goes well!

Thanks...but it's been almost four years since that post. Thanks to Warhawk, and Amazon, I've built up a nice collection on the cheap. I ordered another Lord long handle razor for $17 and it should arrive on Monday.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1584 on: May 15, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »
@120:  Hi Matt:  Welcome back bro!  That is a great SOTD pic!

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1585 on: May 15, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi young lad here 21 year sold thinking if shaving but nervous any ideas?

Hi Stephen:  1st of all welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.  Post up in the INTRODUCTION section of the forum so that we can give you a proper welcome.

As far as ideas . .  . if you are talking about safety razor shaving than I can give you some tips based on my experience.

Razor:  Edwin Jagger 89L or Merkur 34C

Blade:  Astra SP, Voskhod,

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water Soap, Stirling, Catie's Bubbles, Cella

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street

Brush:  Semogue or Omega

Those are only a small portion.  However, these suggestions should give you a great start.  Keep us posted.  You also might want to join www.badgerandblade.com.  It is a forum dedicated to shaving the traditional way.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1586 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
Does anyone know how to repair a safety razor that won't screw on/tighten? My trusty Lord razor won't tighten when I insert the blade. I've cleaned it thoroughly and sometimes it won't screw on even without the razor. Regardless, I've decided to keep it even if it's just for display purposes.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1587 on: May 15, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company - The Black Rose | BSB-Ti HMW
Mongoose B3 w/Triad 316 Stainless Rolling Hex | Kai Captain Titan Mild (2) | Floïd Blue

Recently, I've come very close to selling the Mongoose.  For the price, I just don't use it often, and I really can't say why.  After the last 2 shaves, I can say with confidence I won't ever part with this razor.  Recently having been winged and still only able to use my non-dominant hand, the Mongoose has been a godsend.  The extra territory and easy to find, flawless angle have resulted in spectacular shaves despite my infirmity.  As I have previously stated, shaving the left parietal region of my head is the most awkward area to shave.  The Triad Rolling Hex's deep scallops make it easy to blindly grip the most distal end of the razor and hit that area with flawless BBS and without a single weeper.

For those of you on the fence about paying $22 for 4.5 oz of soap, let The Black Rose from LASSC tip you over.  As a vegan soap, it performs as well as any other soap (tallow or not) in my arsenal.  And the scent?  I'm not even a huge fan of rose scents as they often get old fast, but The Black Rose has enough woody and earthy notes to balance the rose.  My only complaint about LASSC, as has always been the case, is the rather bland labels.  For many, that will make zero difference.

This was yet another outstanding shave courtesy of some very impressive products.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1588 on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Does anyone know how to repair a safety razor that won't screw on/tighten? My trusty Lord razor won't tighten when I insert the blade. I've cleaned it thoroughly and sometimes it won't screw on even without the razor. Regardless, I've decided to keep it even if it's just for display purposes.
Hi Harry:  Not sure how to fix that problem.  Glad that you were able to get another razor.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1589 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
Hi Matt:  Excellent SOTD pic you got.  Glad that you did not sell the Goose.  That would have been
a sure regret if you did.

WARHAWK  O0

Enter your email address: