Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 750458 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1530 on: March 18, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
Friday Night, March 18, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  EverReady Streamline

Blade:  GEM PTFE

Soap:  RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore Firenze

Brush:  Simpson Duke 3

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, & refrigerated Santa Maria del Fiore A/S

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1531 on: March 18, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
Shall i bye a DE again? Tempted!!!!

Keep us posted if you do get another DE razor.  O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1532 on: March 19, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
Hi Matt:  Nice SOTD pic... so tell me more about the "Phoenix Sidewinder".  I love how it looks. O0

WARHAWK O0

It's a classic-style 2-piece.  It shaves like a shimmed EJ.  Very VERY smooth, but deceptively aggressive.

Here's an excerpt from a review I wrote a while back:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' "The Phoenix Sidewinder" is a classic 2-piece shaver.  The cap is zinc alloy, and the handle is chrome-plated brass.  By design, the baseplate is not removable, and I can't confirm whether it's zinc alloy or brass.  The cap's stem is relatively short, and the threads catch by just resting the cap on top and then twisting the bottom knob.  Of course, if you are loading a blade, you would most likely invert the razor and install the blade on the cap, and then begin threading.  It's a pretty quick process since the threads catch so easily.  It's not near as awkward as say a Merkur Progress.  Speaking of---because someone's going to try it---other caps may work, so you frankenrazor enthusiasts will have fun experimenting.  My RazoRock Baby Smooth's cap fit, but the Merkur Progress's stem was too long, and it bottomed-out preventing the cap from even approaching the baseplate.  Assembled with the stock cap, my Astra blade had no alignment issues and there was no play even when the bottom was not fully tightened.  So, yes, it would be possible to safely tweak your blade gap by loosening the knob.  However, I found the efficiency to be spot on with it tightened down as it's designed, but more on that later.

There's some obvious tooling marks inside the shaft and what appears to be a transected tension collar just inside the top orifice of the shaft.  It's only visible when the razor is disassembled, and I'm told that is normal for this razor.  I don't believe the bottom knob is removable by design unlike some other 2-piece razors.  There is an obvious spring allowing you to pull down the knob a maximum of about 2mm when the knob is disengaged.  When it's tightened down, it doesn't budge.

Top to bottom, the finish is flawless.  The knurling is finer than PAA's Double Open Comb, but looks like it's still part of the family.  It's an elegant spiral knurling with perfect grippiness that is certainly appreciated by shower shavers.  The planar surface maintains the signature laser-etched Phoenix logo.  The surface is flat so you can balance the razor in a vertical position, but a gentle breeze would be enough to knock it over.

I confirmed the Sidewinder's plump handle diameter to be 14 mm and a hefty weight of 104 grams.  The length is 4 1/4".  While I usually prefer handles on the shorter side, I discovered this is more of an issue of balance.  The Sidewinder was quite intuitive to handle.  I tend to choke up on the razor in tight spaces like that annoying little patch right above my ears, but while shaving the back of my head, it just felt more natural to hold the distal end of the handle.  This is where the length really facilitates head shavers. 

The angle is also quite intuitive with a surprising amount of audible feedback given the inherent density of the material and relative lack of resonance. There is no drag from the closed bar.  It glides effortlessly across the skin.

The Sidewinder is very efficient.  There was very little clean-up to be done.  My usual problem areas (the crown of my head and occipital region) were about 90% BBS prior to any clean-up.  I was able to safely and comfortably take long sweeping passes from the nape of my neck to my frontal hairline.  PAA markets the Sidewinder as an "above medium/aggressive" razor. While the Sidewinder is very efficient, it accomplishes this without sacrificing comfort.

The Phoenix Sidewinder is a beautiful representation of a classic style at an affordable price.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1533 on: March 19, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »
Here are some pics of the Sidewinder

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1534 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »
Friday Night, March 18, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  EverReady Streamline

Soap:  RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore Firenze

Brush:  Simpson Duke 3

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, & refrigerated Santa Maria del Fiore A/S

WARHAWK O0

I love this combo!  This is what prompted me to track down and pick up a bottle of the fragrance that influenced the SMDF.  Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano is a lovely fragrance. http://buy.smnovella.com/index.php/col-tabacco-toscano-100ml.html

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1535 on: March 19, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
Barrister & Mann - Le Grand Chypre | Ever-Ready 100T w/TGN Finest | iKon ShaveCraft #102 | Astra Superior Platinum (1)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1536 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
SUNDAY, MARCH 20, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  Ever Ready Streamline
Cream:  Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Brush:  Simpson Berkeley 46
Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, redrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Enjoyed my last shave with the Streamline so much that I had to repeat it again.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1537 on: March 21, 2016, 08:10:08 PM »
Hi Matt: Thanks for your review of the PAA Sidewinder.

WARHAWK  O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1538 on: March 22, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »
Tuesday, March 22, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 and Weber Wave Handle

Blade:  Gillette Silver Blue

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street aka "TOBS"  (Sandalwood)

Brush:  Omega S

Dessert:  Ice cube rub and refrigerated WH

I had a very enjoyable and relaxing head shave today.  The iKON #102 is my favorite slant razor.  For me . . . it delivers easy free close head shaves.  If you haven't tried any of the Taylor of Old Bond Street Shave Creams . . . you should add it to your list.  The sandalwood is my favorite from TOBS.  It is a stout, cologne-like scent.  Love it.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1539 on: March 24, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
Saponificio Varesino TheShaveNook.com - "Flying Mango" | Vintage Kent V8
Above The Tie S1 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle | Astra Superior Platinum (2)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1540 on: March 26, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary SE | BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Above The Tie S1 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle | Astra Superior Platinum (3)

Finally, the BSB-Ti arrived yesterday, and I was able to use it today.  I've coveted vintage Rubberset 400s for quite some time, but a realistic opportunity just never coalesced.  I think the BSB will fill that void. 

I opted for the fan-shaped high mountain white badger knot set at a 52mm loft with standard 25mm diameter.  I may be wrong, but I think this is the first fan-shaped knot I've used, and there is much more backbone than what I was anticipating. I would venture to say the backbone is comparable to that of my Semogue 1250 boar. After soaking, but prior to loading, I worked the brush on my cheek just to get a feel for it.  The tips are surprisingly soft and even have a slick feel when saturated.  I proceeded to load it.  I wasn't gentle, as I see no point in it.  In figuring out the knot, I did a bit more face-scrubbing than my usual.  The scrubbing in conjunction with the impressive backbone of this knot should have resulted in some brush burn, but the soft tips mitigated that quite well. The end result was a very comfortable lathering experience.  This is with first use, mind you.  I am completely satisfied with the knot as is, but I know full well it will improve beyond this with a few more uses. I should also note for what it's worth, I detected very little badger funk.

The weight of the titanium handle has incredible balance and is quite comfortable in my hand.  Overall, the brush weighed in at 133.0 grams dry, out of the box.  The weight provides stability allowing it to sit on end with the knot fully loaded with lather.  With the exception of my Omega PRO48, I usually palm my brushes and support the base of the knot with my finger tips.  This may or may not aide in preventing some broken hairs, but I do it nonetheless.  This handle is too long for me to do that, and I suspect that's by design.  There were no lost hairs.

If you saw my mail call pictures, you will notice the knot has bloomed quite well after only one use.  I'm told there's no special care needed for the titanium handle.  A simple rinse and dry is what you see in the photo.  No polishing needed.  The handle is one piece.  The o-ring is cosmetic, and the artisan includes extra o-rings. In addition to the black one installed, he included 1 each of red, purple, blue, green, and orange. He also included 3 black because I told him I preferred black.  It's my understanding he typically ships it with a purple one installed due to his homage to the flower of the Solanum dulcamara vine (his username is "Dr Dulcamara"). He recommends using a wooden toothpick to facilitate swapping of the o-rings as it's not likely to scratch the metal in the process.

It shipped in a durable plastic flat-sided carton that's height-adjustable and serves as a travel container complete with vent holes (again, see the mail call pics for more).  The lettering is done in an industrial style stenciling.  Clearly "industrial" is what he was going for, and it pairs quite well with the overall design of the brush.

The BSB-Ti is clearly a work of art from the flawless finish to the engraved (not laser-etched), "BSB Spain" on the bottom.  Yet its function is what determines its tenure in my rotation, and I suspect this brush will see years of action.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1541 on: March 27, 2016, 10:40:08 AM »
Hi Matt:  Great pic as always... Congrats on your latest acquisition.  That BSB looks like a work of art and I am sure the pics do not give it any justice.  Juan is a great guy to deal with.  He does great work.  Hopefully one day I will be fortunate to purchase one of those.  Enjoy it in good health bro!

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1542 on: March 27, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
HAPPY EASTER SOTD, SUNDAY, MARCH 27, 2016

Razor:  Mongoose B1

Blade:  Feather Professional

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap:  Lemongrass & Eucalyptus

Brush:  Thater 4125

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Happy Easter all !!!  I had a great shave with the Mongoose B1.  Love the shaves I get with this razor.  Mike's Natural Soap still continues to be one of my favorite artisan soap makers.  If you haven't tried it . . . it is a great performing shave soap.

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:54:30 AM by warhawk »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1543 on: March 29, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
That's a nice Spring shave, Mel!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1544 on: March 30, 2016, 05:07:10 AM »
Chiseled Face Groomatorium - Pine Tar Shaving Soap | BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Above The Tie S1 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle | Astra Superior Platinum (1) | Floïd Blue