Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 750691 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1515 on: March 01, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »
Barrister & Mann - Hallows (2015) | Ever-Ready 100T w/TGN Finest | Above The Tie S1 on Triad Rolling Hex Stainless | Astra Superior Platinum (3)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1516 on: March 10, 2016, 07:11:48 PM »
Beaver WoodWright - The Black Rose | Omega PRO48 | Above The Tie S1 on Triad Rolling Hex Stainless | Astra Superior Platinum (2)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1517 on: March 14, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Dapper Dragon Soaps - "Black Dragon" | Ever-Ready 100T w/ TGN Finest | RazoRock Black Mamba | Astra Superior Platinum (2) | Dapper Dragon Soaps "Scale Polish - Black Dragon"

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1518 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
Hi Matt:  Thanks for holding the fort while I was away.  As always.... i love your SOTD pics and
reviews.  Keep them up, my friend.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1519 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC

Blade:  Gillette Silver Blue

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap:  Bay Rum

Brush:  Semogue 2012 Special Edition

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

As always... I had a great head shave.  The Weber DLC has been such a great razor that it has continued to be in my regular rotation of DE razors.  Mystic Water Soap is still one of my favorites.  Bay Rum is probably my favorite Mystic Water scents.  Love it.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1520 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Woohoo!  It was getting lonely in here!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1521 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Hi Matt:  I have noticed that you have been using the S1 on a routine basis.  I wished that I loved my ATT S1 but it did not perform better than the iKON #102.  Of course the S1 was better in looks but performance-wise, I had better head shaves with the #102 in which I sold off my S1.

I would love to hear about your comparisions with the S1, #102, and RRSS.  It appears that you like the S1 better than the #102 and RazoRock Stealth Slant.  Am I right???

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1522 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
Or is it too early to make that claim among the #102, ATT S1, and RazoRock Stealth Slant.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1523 on: March 15, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »
While I was away from the SBG forum... I also did some head shave experiment comparisons between DE head shaving and cartridge (Fusion) head shaving.  Prior to me discovering the great world of wet shaving (DE, SE razors)... my favorite razor was the Fusion.

In my two week experiment... the Fusion head shaves were inferior and was less smooth than the traditional way of shaving.  It was also less fun when I revisited the Fusion.   All in all . . . for me the traditional way is far better and more fun. O0 8)

WARHAWK O0

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1524 on: March 15, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
I agree Mel, especially if I can skip a day, the DE shave is ultra smooth, and stays smooth all day. Nice to see you back.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1525 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
Hi Matt:  I have noticed that you have been using the S1 on a routine basis.  I wished that I loved my ATT S1 but it did not perform better than the iKON #102.  Of course the S1 was better in looks but performance-wise, I had better head shaves with the #102 in which I sold off my S1.

I would love to hear about your comparisions with the S1, #102, and RRSS.  It appears that you like the S1 better than the #102 and RazoRock Stealth Slant.  Am I right???

WARHAWK O0
It’s one thing to have a technical understanding of the mechanics of wet shaving.
It’s another thing to have experience with wet shaving.
It’s quite another thing to have extensive familiarity with the hardware involved.
Ever since I first used the RRSSv4, I touted that it was the best shaver I’d ever used.  I found it difficult to put it down and even try other razors in my collection, and when I did, it was brief.  I always came back to the RRSSv4. 
I never disliked the iKon #102.  In fact, I loved it so much, I purchased a second one, and it’s still in the box!  But, again, when the RRSSv4 came along, I liked it better.
When I acquired the pricey ATT S1, my expectations were elevated based on the price alone.  It looked and felt like a far superior piece of craftsmanship than both the RRSS and the #102.  However, after extensive use, I determined the RRSS was #1, and the ATT and #102 were in a tie for 2nd place.  Due to fit and finish, the ATT had the edge, but the #102 yielded similar, if not equal results, for a fraction of the price.  In this case, if depends on what you value most.  For me, performance is number 1.  Secondly, I think fit and finish trump frugality. If budget were the primary driving force, the decision would be a no-brainer---the #102 would win, hands down.
Then along came the Triad Rolling Hex handle.  I initially purchased it for use with my Mongoose (also a nice shaver).  I don’t use the Mongoose as often as others because there’s a perceived commitment in that I feel like I have to use it consecutively until the blade is spent.  Since, I get 6 shaves out of an AC blade, and given that I shave every other day, that means I’m going to use the Mongoose 2 weeks straight.  I also don’t like gear with soap build-up and smudges, etc.  I like for it to look good all the time.  Well, the mirror-finish Mongoose doesn’t pair well with that compulsion.  I found myself disassembling, cleaning, and polishing it up every second shave.
On a lark, I decided to mount the Triad on the ATT.  The brushed stainless finish of the Triad looks like it was made for the ATT.  I then quickly discovered the balance and pinch-points provided by the handle transformed the performance of the ATT, and it secured its place as my second all-time favorite shaver.  A quick rinse and the ATT and Triad look perfect.  I found myself going back to that combo repeatedly (as you can see from the SOTD pics).  I’m not ready to say it beats the RRSS overall, but it may be approaching that level.  I wouldn’t ever want to have to choose between the 2 of them.  It should also be noted that during this re-discovery of the ATT, I went back to Astra blades.  I still like the Treets and Nacets, but the Astras seem to be more consistent.
This is not to say, I’m abandoning my other razors.  I still very much enjoy my Black Mamba, Progress, and Super-Speeds.  I get BBS with all of them, but I find the BBS lasts longer when I use a slant.
I also feel the need to reiterate my previous statement about familiarity.  There’s a lot to be said for how familiar you are with the hardware.  I make maneuvers and take risks with the ATT that I never would have dreamed of when I first picked it up.  There’s no way I could have achieved that level of comfort if I had not used it so frequently.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1526 on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
Hi Matt:  Thanks for your take on those 3 slant razors.  So far... the iKON #102 is my favorite slant razor.  However, I still need to give my RazoRock Stealth Slant V1 a revisit.  I only tried it about 6-7 times and did not give it a fair chance.  I will keep you posted.  Again... keep up the great SOTD photos.  I look forward to them.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1527 on: March 16, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
Shall i bye a DE again? Tempted!!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1528 on: March 17, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Chiseled Face Groomatorium - "Midnight Stag" | Semogue 1250 | Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - "The Phoenix Sidewinder" | Astra Superior Platinum (2)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1529 on: March 18, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »
Hi Matt:  Nice SOTD pic... so tell me more about the "Phoenix Sidewinder".  I love how it looks. O0

WARHAWK O0