Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 750506 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1470 on: November 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
...How do you like the scent of the Wholly Kaw?...

Here's my micro-review: Wholly Kaw has a nice take on sandalwood with one of a pair of new releases this week, "Spice Route".  Sandalwood is at the forefront, but there are cedar notes, various musky spices.  There's enough floral to balance the woody notes but it maintains its masculinity.  The splash matches perfectly and settles to a spicy sandalwood with the floral fading to the background.

Friday, November 6, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Cobra Classic

Blade:  Feather Professional

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street:  Sandalwood

Brush:  Thater 4125/2

Dessert:  Ice cube rub and refrigerated WH

It has been awhile since I shaved with the Cobra Classic.  Glad that I did because I had a great shave.  Also. . . it also has been awhile since I revisited the Taylor of Old Bond Street:  Sandalwood Shave Cream.  This was my very 1st real shave cream when I discovered the traditional way of shaving.  The performance of this shave cream is elite and I absolutely love the stout sandalwood scent.    This is my favorite scent of all the Taylor of Old Bond Street (aka "TOBS") scents...

Man, the Cobra Classic is a beauty! I'd like to get one some day.

TOBS brings back the memories.  You said it---"stout".  I remember that first time I used TOBS.  It felt like that daggum sandalwood lingered for days!

We must've been on the same wavelink, though.  Using a sandalwood soap.  I've got to say, I prefer Wholly Kaw's Spice Route.  It's certainly sandalwood, but it has more depth and is multifaceted.

Take care, brother.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1471 on: November 07, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Wholly Kaw - Mélange de Santal | Mongoose B3 | Feather ProGuard | Kent V8

If you've been collecting shave soaps for a while, you've no doubt come across a few sandalwoods and vetivers.  Wholly Kaw's new release, " Mélange de Santal", should not be judged by its name.  While it's brother, "Spice Route", released at the same time, quite prominently showcases sandalwood, Mélange de Santal is a bit more subtle. 

Despite airing it out for at least 30 minutes, off the puck, MdS just smells soapy to me---I mean dish detergent soapy.  I did not expect to like it.  As soon as a the moist brush contacted it, the scent quickly transformed to a woody, grassy, yet unconventional sandalwood.  Before I was even through lathering my head, spicy vetiver broke through with quite a presence. Subsequent passes maintained the vetiver, but with a powder overlay.  Interestingly, the paired splash unfolded in the reverse order with vetiver being the initial impression followed by a very pleasant sandalwood with hints of cedar and other nonspecific woody notes.  About an hour later, I'm enjoying very complex yet soothing spicy notes, and almost all of the earthiness is gone.  It may just be my nose, but my brain is unable to process this vetiver and sandalwood at the same time.  It's either/or, such that every few seconds I smell sandalwood and then vetiver, and so on.  As time passes, Mélange de Santal splash is reminiscent of Fine's Fresh Vetiver, but a little spicier and warmer.  I hope this splash has staying power because it would make a nice cologne.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1472 on: November 09, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Hallows | RazoRock Stealth Slant V4 | Treet Platinum Super Stainless | Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest)

I'm late to the game on this one thanks to the USPS.

Luxurious shave as one would expect from B&M. My initial impression with regard to scent as follows:
Cocoa liqueur, chicory and faint hints of anise. There is a delayed bitter wood and finally aromatic cedar with leather soaked in scotch wafting in and out.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1473 on: November 11, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
Hi Matt:  That is a great review on the Barrister and Mann Hallow shave soap.  Barrister and Mann puts out some great shave soaps.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1474 on: November 11, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Wednesday, November 11, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ El Matador Handle

Blade:  Feather

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street (aka "TOBS") Shave Cream (Sandalwood)

Brush:  Semogue SOC 2012 Special Edition

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Nivea A/S balm

Lately I have been thoroughly enjoying the TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream.  This is a legendary shave cream that needs no introduction among the wet shaving community.  I just love the stout cologne-like scent of the sandalwood.  The scent is amazing and love how it spreads through out the bathroom.  It just brings a smile to my face.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1475 on: November 11, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
Wednesday, November 11, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ El Matador Handle

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street (aka "TOBS") Shave Cream (Sandalwood)

Brush:  Semogue SOC 2012 Special Edition

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Nivea A/S balm

Lately I have been thoroughly enjoying the TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream.  This is a legendary shave cream that needs no introduction among the wet shaving community.  I just love the stout cologne-like scent of the sandalwood.  The scent is amazing and love how it spreads through out the bathroom.  It just brings a smile to my face.

WARHAWK O0

Sweet handle!  Is it heavy?  Hollow?  Cool pic, as usual.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1476 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba | Semogue 1250 | Mongoose with Triad 316 Stainless Rolling Hex & Kai Captain Titan Mild | RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore Lozione Dopo-Barba

Finally!

Finally! Since I got one of the first batches of RazoRock's Santa Maria Del Fiore Sapone da Barba in June, I have wanted a matching splash. Got it!

Finally! Also in June, when I first saw the Triad Rolling Hex Brushed Stainless handle, I've been on Toby's waiting list. Got it!

Finally! 4 days ago, a careless maneuver while shaving my head resulted in a plug of flesh being removed from my head. I have been unable to shave while waiting for it to heal. Got to shave the 4 days growth tonight!

Being a shower head-shaver, I prefer either deep knurling or deep "pinch-points". The 316 Stainless 12.7mm x 90mm Triad Rolling Hex absolutely fits the bill. I can finally fully enjoy my Mongoose head!

The SMdF splash is awesome! Joseph (RazoRock proprietor) warns that it won't be an exact match to the soap due to the absence of eucalyptus. The Tabacco Toscano fragrance is what I was looking for any way. This lozione dopo-barba perfectly compliments the sapone da barba, and the menthol essentially replaces the eucalyptus.

This was just a very comfortable shave despite the 4 days growth.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1477 on: November 15, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
@120:  Hi Matt:  The El Matodor is a light handle and hollow.  Nice SOTD pics as always . . . did you get a light box for your SOTD pics?  If so . . . how do you like it?  Great minds think a like . . . I just pulled the trigger on the RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore A/S on Saturday.  I cannot wait to try it out.  Wow. . . that handle that Toby made looks like a match made in heaven for your Mongoose.  Enjoy brother. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1478 on: November 15, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »
Sunday, November 15, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street (aka "TOBS") Shave Cream:  Sandalwood

Brush:  Semogue BC Texugo

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Nivea A/S Balm

Another enjoyable SOTD with the Weber DLC.  Love this razor.  For anyone looking for a great performing shave cream with a great scent . . . TOBS Sandalwood is the ticket.  If you like stout cologne-like Sandalwood than this is it. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1479 on: November 15, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
. . . did you get a light box for your SOTD pics?...
Yes, I made a light box out of foam board, poster board, white duct tape and tissue paper.  I think I'm going to replace the tissue paper with muslin.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1480 on: November 15, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »

Martin de Candre | Ever-Ready 100T | Mongoose with Triad 316 Stainless Rolling Hex & Kai Captain Titan Mild | Floid Blue

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1481 on: November 17, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
Barrister and Mann Leviathan
Mongoose (Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless)
Kai Captain Titan Mild (3)
Ever-Ready (TGN Finest)
Nicole Pangas Ceramics Ghost Skulls Shaving Bowl

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1482 on: November 17, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
Hi Matt:  Nice SOTD pic, my friend.   O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1483 on: November 17, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ Weber Wave Handle

Blade:  Gillette Silver Blue

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream:  Sandalwood

Brush:  Omega S Brush

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Nivea A/S Balm

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1484 on: November 21, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »
You always manage to get a nice color scheme going, Mel.  Great pic!

Enter your email address: