Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 751347 times)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1365 on: July 13, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
Monday evening July 13, 2015

Awesome shave tonight!

Pre-shave: J&J Baby Oil w/Aloe vera & Vit. E

Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood

Razor: Rimei (Chinese brand)

Brush: Omega Synthetic

Blade: Astra SP

After-shave: ice cube rub, Equate beauty original clean astringent for sen. skin, FOTE Aloe vera gel

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1366 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
@120:  Hi Matt . . .  Very nice review of Wholly Kaw shave soap . . . it is a great time for traditional shaving because of all the many great artisan soap makers out there. 

@AJ:  Nice SOTD pic . . . we look forward to hearing more future SOTD pics and updates on your safety razor journey.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1367 on: July 18, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
Saturday, July 18, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ Tuckaway Handle

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap:  Bay Rum

Brush:  Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Al Fin

Just had a super, smooth shave today.  What a way to start the weekend.  For me . . . there is nothing better than a safety razor head shave.  Love it!!!

WARHAWK O0

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1368 on: July 18, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
The Treet Platinum blade I can say is not for me. I've had two bad shaves with it so far. That's not to say it can't be a blade of choice for some people. Astra SP is much better for me I find.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1369 on: July 18, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »
The Treet Platinum blade I can say is not for me. I've had two bad shaves with it so far. That's not to say it can't be a blade of choice for some people. Astra SP is much better for me I find.

Hi AJ:  Thanks for posting up, my friend.  As always  . . . YMMV (your mileage my vary), what works for someone may not work for the other.  At least you find the Astra SP a worthy blade, that is a great DE blade at a great price.  Looking forward, to more of your updates.  Thanks for sharing.

WARHAWK O0

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1370 on: July 19, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
Sunday afternoon July 19, 2015

Much better shave today than previous two DE shaves! Went back to Astra SP. I still can't get it BBS in some places but it's coming along.

Pre-shave: DG Baby Oil w/Aloe vera & Vit. E

Cream: Barbasol Soothing Aloe

Razor: Rimei (Chinese brand)

Brush: Omega Synthetic

Blade: Astra SP

After-shave: cold water, Equate beauty original clean astringent for sen. skin, FOTE Aloe vera gel

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:06:27 PM by AJ Q-Ball »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1371 on: July 19, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »

Martin de Candre (Lavender) | Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest) | Mongoose | Feather Artist Club Professional | Fine "Fresh Vetiver" | Nicole Pangas "Ghost Skulls" Shaving Bowl

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1372 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
Hi AJ:  Nice pic and glad that you had a better shave. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1373 on: July 19, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
Hi Matt:  Nice SOTD pic.  So . . . how are you liking the Mongoose?  How are you liking the MdC (lavender)?  How do you like the scent and performance?  Is the premium price worth it? 

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1374 on: July 20, 2015, 05:40:11 AM »
Hi Matt:  Nice SOTD pic.  So . . . how are you liking the Mongoose?  How are you liking the MdC (lavender)?  How do you like the scent and performance?  Is the premium price worth it? 

WARHAWK O0
Funny you should ask...

This was my first outing with the goose.  BBS and comfortable.  I can't wait for my Triad Ti handle to come in!  This was the third time I've used MdC.  While it's a nice, luxurious soap, I was a little disappointed.  I don't know what I was expecting, but with all the hype, I expected more.  Don't get me wrong, MdC is a stellar performer, but I have a handful of soaps in my den that perform just as well at a fraction of the price. Taking nothing away from MdC, but I think this speaks more to the artisan community's ability to churn out incredible products that were previously only available to the big spenders.  I have similar thoughts about the Mongoose.  Its appearance is unique, and it is the first SE shaver I've ever used.  Its performance is unique in that it covers more territory which I especially noticed while head shaving.  That said, BBS and comfortable is BBS and comfortable.  I can achieve the same end result with the right blade combo in a $10 Super-Speed.  I still like choices and variety, and a lot can be said with regard to its beauty.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1375 on: July 21, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Head & face shower shave. 2 days growth.

Technique:  WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.
Prep: Shower.     
Soap: Dapper Dragon Soaps "Festival" (Summer 2015 LE)
Brush: Ever-Ready 100T restored by Thomas Burgess with TGN Finest Badger knot
Razor: Mongoose M1
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional(2)

I'm enjoying the Mongoose, but I can't say it provides a better shave than most of my other razors.  The weight is good, but I'm not crazy about the "Ginger Swirl" handle of the M1.  The extra weight coupled with the shallow knurling pattern doesn't lend well to shower shaving.  I haven't dropped it yet.  I can't wait for my Triad handles to come in.  I feel like they will change the experience a bit. 

The Feather Artist Club Pro blade settled down some from the first shave, but it's still not as comfortable as my Treet DEs.  It's not a traumatic shave, but it's just not as smooth as I like.  I have the Mongoose Sampler from tryablade.com.  I think I will try the Kai Captain Titan Milds after I "break-in" the Feathers a few more times.

The real shining moment of this SOTD was the Dapper Dragon.  "Festival" has quickly become one of my favorite scents.  It is truly intoxicating.  I've reviewed Festival soap and Scale Polish before, so I won't belabor it here (original review can be seen here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=17519.msg352988#msg352988)

I'm not over-stating this.  If you haven't tried Dapper Dragon's Scale Polish aftershave product, I highly recommend you do.  Scale Polish is a unique product that results in a very refreshing, cooling, soothing post-shave that has the longest effects of any post-product I've used.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1376 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
Wow what an awesome smooth shave I had today! The only thing that was different from my last photo is I used a Feather blade.  I have to say that is my blade of choice now but Astra is a close second.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1377 on: July 23, 2015, 05:47:17 AM »
Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Clubman" | Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest) | Mongoose | Feather Artist Club Professional (4) | Pinaud Clubman | Nicole Pangas "Ghost Skulls" Shaving Bowl

Apparently the 4th time was the charm.  The Feather was much smoother and I got a near-perfect shave.  The dome feels smooth as glass.  Unlike many, I'd never used classic Pinaud Clubman.  Since I kept seeing artisans producing their "updated interpretations" of the "Classic Pinaud Clubman", I had to give it a try.  Initially the citronella made me think of bug repellent, but it quickly settled down to a very pleasant scent.  It's also a very effective aftershave.  I'm glad I picked up this classic!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1378 on: July 23, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
@AJ:  Glad that you are liking the Feather blade. 

@120:  Hi Matt:  Glad that you got a better shave with the Mongoose.  I cannot wait to see it with Toby's Triad Handles.  Keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1379 on: July 23, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »
Thursday, July 23, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap:  Marrakesh

Brush:  EverReady 150 w/ TGN Finest

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement Al Fin

Enjoyed today's shave with the above gear.  It has been awhile since I used the Mystic Water Soap (Marrakesh).  Glad that I did because of it's great performance and it's amazing stout musky, spicy scent.

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:07:56 PM by warhawk »