Author Topic: My head was shaved for the first time today, need an electric razor  (Read 7912 times)

Offline baldgrilla

• Learning the way of Sly
The Art of Shaving shaved my head for the first time today. I am a heart patient that takes a blood thinner and other medications. Because of this a simple nick can bleed more than you would want it to. So at least in the beginning until my head shaving technique is adequate I would like to shave the dome with an electric razor. I am looking for a recommendation on an electric razor from anyone that might be using one instead of a blade.

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: My head was shaved for the first time today, need an electric razor
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
Hello and welcome here,

before I found out that wet shaving is more fun I shaved my face and head with a Panasonic electric shaver. Don't know the type right now, but it was one that can be used also in the shower.
It worked fine for me and the option to use it with soap and water almost like a blade gave me really smooth and close shaves.

I think it's worth to have a look to one of these.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:46:40 AM »
Hello there BaldGrilla and welcome to the group.

Its a pity that due to your heart condition and medication, you cannot shave with a blade.  So if you want to stick with a number 0 or a no 1, I ill reccomend a Wahl clipper.  They tend to be a good work horse and they last for years.

If you wanted to use a blade, you may cosider buyng an alum block or other products that will quickly constrict the blood vessels and stop any bleeding.

All the best with your choice...
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »
Welcome Baldgrilla ... I don't use electric so can't be of help, but wanted to extend my welcome to you.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »
Welcome, Baldgrilla! I will continue to pray for your improved health. My personal recommendation would be any of the Andis Outliners. I have a T-shaped outliner that gives you the bald look where only you will know that the stubble is still there. They did wonders for me when I could not use a razor due to stitches in the scalp. Good luck and continued good health to you, my brother!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:50 AM »
Welcome to the group and I would second the choice of Wahl clippers.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood. Post a pic when you can.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
welcome. I sincerely hope you find what you need
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:10 AM »
Welcome to SBG! I have a Philips HeadGroom for when I don't have time for a decent wet shave. It gets my dome baby-butt smooth. Good luck!
Mike

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
try a whal or andis bread trimmer or clippers and some lectric solution to help stand the hairs up for a closer shave for face but i've used it on both head face and its not that bad of shave still not clean but its shaved

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
I have always used a blade to shave my face. ( I had tried a Panasonic shaver in the early 80's and threw it out after a week).  When I decided to go SLY I bought a Panasonic ES-LT41 to use for touch-ups between my daily early morning showers.  I chose that model after a lot of research;  I wanted a smaller head than that on the LA63 model. 
I was amazed at how closely, and how quickly it shaved.  I could do my face and head in 7 minutes, and it was almost as close as a blade.

Last week I bought a Philips Norelco AT830 because a friend raved about the comfort of a triple headed rotary shaver.  It is totally different than the Panasonic.  It is almost silent, it is faster, and less irritating to the scalp, but it does not shave quite as closely as the Panasonic on all areas of my scalp.
(I say different, not better, not worse, just different)

I am now in the habit of using the Norelco first, and then touching up a couple of small areas with the Panasonic.

I tried shaving one side of my head with a Gillette M3 blade until it was BBS after I had done the electric shaver routine.  After 3 hours I could not tell the difference .  I think that I will probably continue with the electric shaver routine, except for weekends when I have more time and inclination to do the brush, lather and blade.

As a side note, I have tried both electric shavers in the shower;  I am not impressed.  The quickest, closest shave was doing it dry, after splashing on the Kroger equivalent of Williams Pre-Electric 

Offline Scottso

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly since June 2, 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Hi Baldgrilla

I too am new to 'The Art of Head Shaving' and use an electric razor. I am currently using the Philips Norelco Triple-Header (SpeedXL).  I also use a pre-shave lotion (Williams Lectric Shave) before and finish off with the Gillette Fusion. After 3 weeks now, I think I seem to have it down to a science. I dont think there really is an electric razor that will cut your whole head pefectly clean. Trial and error!

Scottso

Offline spafil

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
I've been using normal razors for years and only tried on occasion with my old triple headed Phillips (Norelco as you call them) but it wasn't any good.

Then it happened the other night, when I clicked a fresh blade in the razor and cut i big gash in my head. Quickly followed by a couple of smaller ones as I tried to see to shave my head while bleeding like a pig, I thought enough is enough.

Found this brilliant site while searching the web and followed the advice to try a linear Panasonic.  It was to be the ES-LV61-A, http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/ES-LV61-A that happened to be on sale in a store close to my office ($222 as opposed to $444 or $303+postage on Amazon). Sure, it's expensive but unfortunately so is most electronic devices in Sweden and I was really, really, really tired of cutting myself because the blades where to sharp, to dull or I was to tired when shaving.

As I got home with my new priced possession I immediately  plugged it in to the wall socket and anxiously awaited a full charge. 60 grueling minutes later it was ready for action (it might have been earlier but I was eating supper at the time) and I faced the bathroom mirror and pressed the button.

Now, I was a bit worried as I due to my previous cut had neglected to shave for 4 days but I still skipped any trimming and went straight for the shave. The result (which can be seen on my profile photo) emerging only 9 minutes later according to the display on the machine was beyond any expectation and well comparable to the regular triple bladed razor I normally use. Keeping in mind that those 9 minutes did both my head AND face it's actually a lot faster then my usual routine since this was a dry shave as opposed to the water and gel I use with the razor.

I will do it wet as well when I get the chance but today I just couldn't wait. :)

In conclusion I wholeheartedly agree with all the lovers of linear Panasonics and recommend them fully.

/Spafil
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:48:30 PM by spafil »