Author Topic: WHEN was the first time U tried a safety razor?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
WHEN was the first time U tried a safety razor?
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Hello fellow chrome domes: 

Hope all is well with U & your families.  As most of U know I have entered the traditional way of shaving on April 4, 2012.  I am thoroughly enjoying my journey.

Just wanted 2 know when was the 1st time U have used a safety razor (DE...double edge, SE...single edge, or straight razor).   If so... what was your experience?  If you have not... do U plan on taking the plunge of safety razors?  I am looking forward 2 hearing your stories.

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: WHEN was the first time U tried a safety razor?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »
I just ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 after hearing promising reviews on this site and on Amazon!  It was between that and a couple different Merkurs.  Already have the ToBS cream and brush armed and ready, and I'm eager to learn the ways of the traditional wetshave.  Also ordered some Osage Rub; going to need its ultra-cooling menthol for these triple-digit temperatures this weekend!  :XX
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »
I just ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 after hearing promising reviews on this site and on Amazon!  It was between that and a couple different Merkurs.  Already have the ToBS cream and brush armed and ready, and I'm eager to learn the ways of the traditional wetshave.  Also ordered some Osage Rub; going to need its ultra-cooling menthol for these triple-digit temperatures this weekend!  :XX
Hi Bill:  Congrats on your upcoming shave.  Keep us posted.  Remember take your time, take it slow, concentrate, and please do not rush or that blade will bite.  That's why I shave at night or afternoon time so I do not rush.  I can no longer shave in the morning if I have to get up early.  Let us know or Pm for any advice or tips. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:58 AM »

The DE89 is a great razor.
One complaint some have had is that the handle can be slippy, but that's only if it gets soapy (or your hand is soapy), the handle is fine if your hand is just wet.

Don't expect a perfect shave right away, and I would suggest until you get used to it (maybe your first week) to only shave with the grain, so downwards on your cheeks, under the nose (be extra careful there!) and the chin.  WTG on the neck is a little more tricky, but if you rub your hand against the stubble, you'll soon see which way feels smoother and work it out!

Slow and steady as Warhawk said, and you'll be fine.

Out of interest, what blades will you be using?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:31 AM »
I was about 15 years old and had never shaved. I waited for Dad to go to work and then I pulled out his old DE, lathered up, and shaved my peach fuzz.
It was a total success!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
In 2004, I was first curious about DE shaving my face.  My motive was, I did not want my wife or my 17 year old son to use my razor, even by mistake, so I thought that by getting a DE, the old fashioned piece of steel and blade would discourage them.  I was so ignorant, I didn’t even know that you must shave a few strokes with the one side, then turn it around to the other side and continue with a few more strokes, then rinse, then continue.  Can you believe it?  I also pushed too hard, I used the dreaded shaving Gel without washing my face properly first, and it felt like a was sandpapering my face.  I tried for a week then tossed it as a stupid idea.

Going sly 8 years later, I Googled DE shaving after finding this and other sites.  I also paid close attention to a few You Tube clips on this amazing old fashioned shaving method.  Only then was I enlightened.  I went out and bought a cheapie to practice with, forcing myself to persevere.  Now I can shave my face blindfolded as I know HOW TO PREPARE with decent shaving soap, a decent Badger Brush and two passes, one with and one against the grain.  I am now a "born again" DE face shaver.  I mastered doing my head too, but I much prefer the HeadBlade, hands down, as time is a factor at 05:30 in the dark winter mornings.

For my Birthday, in January, I have promised myself that I will import a nice quality DE from the USA.  But which one is the burning question?  I don’t want to fry my brain too much making sure that I buy the right one as they are pretty costly to import.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
Out of interest, what blades will you be using?

The handle is coming with 5 Derby blades.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Go for it, BillOnBass, I am keen to follow your DE journey...

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
Go for it, BillOnBass, I am keen to follow your DE journey...

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
I've been using a DE for about three or four years now. Love it. Don't get the ingrown hairs with it like i do with a cartridge blade. Love using my badger brush. Just feels manly.

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
the first time i was ever shaved the barber used a straight razor. i loved it. but i eventually want to try EVERYTHING. DE, HB,SR. EVERTHING.
sly for life!!!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
It has been done: my first DE shave!  It was quite the experience.  

The first thing I noticed was the hefty weight of the handle; it feels like a man's tool in comparison to the plastic multi-bladed razors.  I could tell I wouldn't be needing much pressure, if any, for the shave.  So I did everything I normally do to prep for shaving: hot shower, apricot scrub, got out and left my head and face wet, filled my mug with scalding hot water and dropped the brush in for about one minute, then dumped the water and put 4 drops each of Shave Secret and glycerin in the mug.  Put the tips of my brush in the ToBS Sandalwood tub and then made a nice lather in the mug.

I started on my face to get used to the shave.  I realized right away that it would take a few times of shaving with the DE to find the right angle of attack.  You can tell when you do it right, though, because there's this satisfying sound of the hairs popping off.  I got done with my whole face (even under my nose and the corners of my mouth which I thought could be a problem) and thought, "well, if I'm going to be using this on my head eventually why not go ahead and give it a shot?".  

I went against the grain all the way around my head like normal.  I re-lathered my face and head for the second pass and continued shaving with the DE.  I decided to finish up some spots on the back of my head with the Hydro 5.  I have this skin tag type deal right in the middle of the back of my head that's slightly smaller in diameter than a pencil eraser that I'm going to have removed this week or next at the dermatologist.  It gets sliced by my Hydro 5 regularly so I figured if I tried that spot with my DE it would be game over.

Overall, I was very satisfied with my DE shave!  I only had two nicks:  one tiny one on the side of my head and one tiny one on my jawline.  Neither was painful at all and bled very little compared to a standard cart razor cut.  I can tell shaving with a DE is going to take more time than a cart razor, but I believe it will be worth the extra time.  I'll have to get used to shorter, more concentrated strokes as well.  I believe this has the potential to be a zen-like experience since it's so satisfying and requires intense concentration.

Oh, and at the end I got to try some of my new Osage Rub for the first time!  It's been in the freezer for the past two days so it's ice cold.  Wow!  That stuff is insanely refreshing and super-mentholated.  My head still feels cool temperature-wise after about a half-hour, and the scent doesn't linger, which is nice if you want to wear a scented lotion or cologne.    

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:18:43 PM by BillOnBass »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
Hey Bill:

Congrats and welcome 2 the DE world. O0  That is absolutely outstanding.  The Edwin Jagger razor (EJ89L) is a manly razor and  a real looker.  The Osage Rub definitely rocks.  Sounds like U had a great experience.  Ever since my 1st safety razor shave my shaves have been smoother and more fun.

Btw... that was a good move finishing the DE shave with your Hydro5.  When U get better with you technique... U will not need it anymore.   Again... congrats and I'm glad that your 1st DE experience was a smooooooth one. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:29:43 AM »
Great BillonBass, thanks for sharing the experience.  Its interesting to read other Sly guys experiences with a DE.  I hope the experience gets better.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:05 AM »
When I was deployed two years ago, I went to an Iraqi Barbershop and he straight razored my head and moustache. So when I came home for my two weeks leave, I went to Sally's and bought a Fromm straight edge razor with a 5 pack of replacement blades. The first time I tried it I gashed myself a couple of times, but then I got the hang of it by the third attempt. I can use them on any amount of growth, but I think they work best after about three or four days growth. I am not an everyday shaver anyway, but they give me a good shave that lasts a good three days. When I get a little extra bread I may invest in a DE just for curiosity.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: