Author Topic: What's your favorite DE blade?  (Read 7007 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
What's your favorite DE blade?
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
Hello fellow chrome domes:  Since I entered the DE world in April 4, 2012, I have tried several DE blades and so far my current favorite is the Astra Superior Platinum blades.  The Shark Super Chrome and Gillette 7'0clock Blacks are a close second.  I'm still experimenting with different DE blades but I keep going back to the Astra SP.

The Astra SP are made in Russia.  As I am typing this post, U can purchase a 100 pack of these blades for under $10 from Amazon.  Now that's a sweet deal.  Can U imagine how much U would pay for 100 cartridges of the Fusion, Schick Hydro, or Mach 3.  These blades are sharp and smooth and the value is priceless. O0

So... how 'bout U?  What's your favorite DE blades?  Astra?  Feather?  Shark?  Gillette 7 oClocks, Personna Reds, SuperMax,  Derbys, Lord, Treet, Personna Med Preps,  Personna Labs?  What's your story?

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Premium-Platinum-Double-Safety/dp/B001QY8QXM

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Stevie Hood

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: What's your favorite DE blade?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
From me... O0...for the Astra. I mostly use it for the face, but sometimes, when I was too lazy to use the headblade for a longer period, it does a good job on the head too.

For the face sometimes the Feather is a good choice...but this needs a bit more attention, it's really sharp... ;)

marty22

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
welcome!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
Another fan of the Astra blades here!  Although I do also like the Feathers, they're very expensive in comparison.  A lot of people don't get on well with Derby blades, but they work really well in my DE89.

Astras I really like in all my razors though, especially my slant!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »
To be determined! ....................... Soon!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »
In the province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, these are the DE blades I have found

Lion – an SA Brand which is plain stainless steel.  OK to use, but not that good quality, I will not recommend them.  Price, $1 for 5 blades. (R7.00) Gives me 1-2 face shaves.

Gillette Minora Platinum -- The price suggests that this is the superior blade on the shelves at $1.30 (R15) but I found it sort of too sharp on the head, but pleasant on the face. Gives me 3-5 face shaves.

BIC chrome platinum - $1.42 for 5 blades.  The best shave on my head and face so far.  I have stocked up on a few packs just in case there is ever a “shortage” as these  my favourites by far. (You know that “I must stock up” feeling?”) Gives me 3-5 face shaves.

Supermax Stainless  - $1 (R7.00) for 5 blades.  Never tried these yet.

Supermax Super Stainless

Supermax Super Platinum

Supermax Titanium

These are the only brands I have seen so far.  

It is simply un believable that you can get THE BEST shave for next to nothing IF YOU PREPARE PROPERLY ACCORDING TO THE ‘WET’ SHAVING PRINCIPALS.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:14:08 AM by waine »
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:01 PM »
To be determined! ....................... Soon!
Hi Mike:  I cannot wait until U take the DE plunge.  U are gonna love it. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 06:52:29 AM »
Hey there BlueBriz, your profile pic with the straight blade in hand and prepared face, ready to shave "Real Old Style" looks cool.

I have to experience that, perhaps one day...

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »
Hey there BlueBriz, your profile pic with the straight blade in hand and prepared face, ready to shave "Real Old Style" looks cool.

I have to experience that, perhaps one day...

Thanks Wain!

That razor is not actually a proper straight, it's called a shavette, which uses half a standard DE blade.  They're actually much less forgiving than a proper straight, so they have quite a steep learning curve. That said, they're very cheap (that was my first which cost me about £5 GBP), and after a week of use I could get wonderful shaves. 

If you're interested in dipping your toes into the straight shaving pool, but don't want to splash out cash on hones, strops etc, then it's a great way to start, and it's great for travel.  :)

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
I like the feather blades because they are sharp and give close shaves but they tend to knick me the most. So I use Derby and like them. Not as sharp but a good shave without the Knicks.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:19:45 AM »
I have Googled the crap out of DE Blades.  Consumers are spoiled for choice out there, but not here, in the States, yes.  From the reviews and articles, the "Feather" and the "Astra" keep popping up as favourites.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
My favorite is a feather. I am down to only one blade though. I need to find/get more. Usually I use a personna blade that I get at WalMart.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
I have just had an awesome shave.  Here is a mini review of the Supermax “Super Stainless”.  Initially, I thought, "cheap crap" I must be honest.  I never gave it half a chance in my sometimes judgemental mind.  For me cheap has always been nasty, generally speaking.

For 22 US cents for 5 blades (R1.60) I bought a pack in the bulk strip pack.  Total price, R16.00 ($2.20) for 50 blades!  What did I stand to lose in this amazing DE experience?

Unwrapping the relatively cheap, plastic and cardboard packaging (not bad though) I removed the notably thinner than usual blade.  I charged my trusty Lion Razor, took my usual fantastic shower, prepared the dome, a quick, but thorough drive with the HB, then my regular shave preparation and put blade to the facial whiskers  with one days growth.

Gentlemen, was I surprised.  I got a fantastic shave with two passes, one with and one against the grain.  Not a single nick and ZERO irritation.

In this case, cheap is not nasty.  I highly recommend these blades, which say “Distributed by Super-Max Ltd Feltham TW13 7LR London, UK” on the back.

It intrigues me that these blades are made and distributed by different countries according to my reading today.  Here in RSA these blades are alive and well in the shop I was in and at an unbelievable price, even by comparison to other blades in context of our currency.

I will review more blades here soon...

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Hey Waine:  Thanks 4 your review.  The SuperMax brand is a great value DE blade.  It performs well and U cannot beat the price.

WARHAWK O0

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
Astra for sure!