Author Topic: Advantages and disadvantages of Bald -- My take  (Read 16579 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Advantages and disadvantages of Bald -- My take
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
I am a very introverted person, with extroverted qualities. Being bald has had almost a zero negative effect on me so far, as I live in my own happy world without getting too involved with many people.  That is just how I am wired.  I draw stimulation from myself, not from others. But here are some that apply to me.

Disadvantages:

1.  The possibility of a person who holds potential authority over you, eg an employer, or a biased boss, forming negative perceptions and thus being prejudiced toward you. (“Skinhead, racist, drug user, freak”.)
2.  Negative comments from those whom you hold in high esteem, family, close friends or children.  My wife loves it but my daughter does not.
3.  Wearing protection from the harsh African sun. A hat does not suit me -- period!  So its sunscreen only -- all the way in the harsh summer.
4.  The cold in winter, “You will feel it!”
5.  I wear a beanie outside when it is cold, but honestly, it looks unpleasant.  You have to have the right build and aura to successfully wear a beanie.
6.  Momentary self doubt, “Does bald really suit me, or are people only being polite?”
7.  Being relatively tall and slim, the baldness can accentuate the “thin”.
8.  Increased shaving = more expense on more blades.
9.  Potential OCD by experimenting with too many products to get the “perfect shave”. “Should I buy the HeadBalde, what about a “DE” razor?  Hey, try Gillette Fusion, get the alum block, what about the Badger Brush? Try this shaving stand...” You can get carried away.
10.  Slight limitation with clothing choice.  Collars go better with bald IMO.
11.  My pillow case gets a little greasy.

Advantages:

1.  No more thin, bland, ratty hair to try and style.
2.  No more money on barbers / hairdressers.
3.  No more money on hair thickening products that do not work!  Nor on gels,                       conditioner or hairdryers that conk in.
4.  No more receding “Cows licks” on the front of my head.
5.  No more bald patch on the crown, “Hey babe, have you seen how bald you are going on top? Ha ha ha.”
6.  No more hairstyle decisions. “Should I change, should I keep with fashion -- Mohican or Crew? ”
7.  No more “dry” or “flaking” or itchy scalp” therefore no medical bills on cortisone and “Head and Shoulder” like shampoos. I suffered from this for years. It has gone! Vanished.  One of my biggest rewards of Sly.
8.  When I eat my beloved “Nando’s Chicken” or a hot Durban Indian Curry, no more drenched hair as if I have stepped out of a shower.
9.  When I get off my motorcycle and into the board room for the morning meeting at work, no more comments: “Jeez, did you comb your hair this morning?”
10.  Rushing some mornings, I can get dressed, brush my teeth and get going without any hair worries. Yes, it is OK to skip a day.
11.  A more “confident” attitude as I now show the world that hair does not influence my life anymore and I am not “afraid” of any negative opinions. (This may take time to cultivate, but it is definitely there.)  This attitude will also translate positively in other areas of your life.
12.  I think I look more “assertive” than with hair.
13.  I have been told I look younger being Sly.
14.  No more grey hairs, the flanks of my head were turning a bit too much “Salt and Pepperish.”
15.  The ability and satisfaction of embracing something a bit radical, a little “Off the road most travelled”.
16.  More “self pampering time” – It takes a little effort to shave daily, but it can be an amazingly enjoyable ritual -- if you are doing it right.
17.  Experimentation.  There are many products and gadgets to try. “Boys love toys.”
18.  When I place my spectacles or sunglasses on top of my head, it sits better than with hair.  My dome is a perfect glasses-rest, as the exposed skin grips it nicely.
19.  All the moles on my head were exposed; I never knew I had so many, now they are burned off by my doc.
20.  It just looks and feels so nice!
21.  I get to be a part of a great community like Slybaldguys.com.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Advantages and disadvantages of Bald -- My take
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:44 AM »
That is a very nice and comprehensive list there and the positives seem to be far out weighing the negatives  O0 I can relate to a lot of things on your list, hopefully people who are sitting on the fence can too.

I am loving my beanies at the moment (never used to like them), we are getting an unsually cold and wet winter (compared to the past 10 years or so) too, but you are right, they just don't suit some people unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »
Positives outnumber the negatives about 2-to-1. Seems about right to me. And affirming as well.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:52 AM »
@Frontier guy -- Good stuff man.  its nice writing about stuff like this.  It makes one analyse your motives.

@Beardman -- I actually love Beanies, but beanies don't love me.  We are also having an unusually cold, wet winter and I am froced to wear a beanie, but only at home, when I go outside at night for a cigarette, or in the daytime if I am busy around the house.  Despite all the confidence, I have to face it, I look like a complete idiot in a beanie.  No matter how I try to position it, my ears get in the way and I just look stupid.  I doubt that I will wear a beanie in public, but in private, for sure, I do it a lot.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline BlackDogBrewing

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Hildenbrandt's Iris Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
I agree with all of the above!  Great points!

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Great write-up, waine! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I like your list. As my colleagues have observed, the positives obviously far outweigh the negatives. Those cons are easy to live with when being sly is so damn great. I like how the first advantages that came to your head all started with "no more-", proving how liberating going sly truly is.  O:O

I definitely feel you on #8 under advantages. My wife is Mexican, so I'm always eating spicy stuff (which I LOVE) whenever we eat at her parent's house. A little swipe or dab of a napkin on the noggin is all it takes!

"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
  • Proudly bald since May 18, 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
This is a great list and really shows how the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  I was most concerned about acceptance in two places -- work and church.  When I showed up for work the first day, my boss couldn't care less.  In fact, he told me that I had a lot of guts to do it.  The first time I walked into church with it, two women actually kissed my head!  So, all is well.
Stan

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
I can relate to most of your list, particularly no. 9 in disadvantages.
Hair is over rated.

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »
It's HIGH maintenance!!!!

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »
Excellent list, pretty much covered everything.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
A beanie is like a woolly hat?  I like them, I have maybe 7 or 8.  They're comfortable and warm.  Also, although maybe I do look stupid in them, I don't feel I do, so maybe I don't give off an uncomfortable vibe?

Hats is a different story.  Unlike my wife, who looks great in any hat, 99.99% look stupid on me.  That said, I've found one shop that sells caps that fit my head, don't sit miles above my ears, and are pretty rugged and long lasting.  I think you need to find a cap that is the right size for your head.  Some will not look good because of (I think) how far above the ears they are.  Try some different sized caps, I'm sure you'll find some that look good!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
It's HIGH maintenance!!!!

For me, that's part of the satisfaction of being sly. I enjoy the time it takes me to shave my dome.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
Awesome list Waine, really captured the ideals of being sly.

@Nate: I wish my partner would cook/eat spicy food! I'm a hot food nut, I make hot sauces and pickled chillies, and love to get a good sweat on when eating (sure is a bonus being wipe clean), but she just can't handle the heat, this is more a problem for her through seeing as I am the primary cook in our household! Although, cooking a particularly spicy meal may result in severe punishment  :XX

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »
Excellent List, Waine....I'm sure most, if not all apply to me. Thanks for sharing!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
Although, cooking a particularly spicy meal may result in severe punishment  :XX

Indeed it can, and will, slyfive!
It's unfortunate that your partner isn't down with spicy stuff. Just keep some hot sauce/powder onhand to add to your plate after you serve the meal.  ;)
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS