Author Topic: Newbie here...first-time headshave-please help  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Tsuji

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie here...first-time headshave-please help
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
Hi guys.  I have always gotten my hair buzzed as short as possible by my barber (basically all I have left is sandpapery stubble at the end of my haircut), and I have decided to finally take the plunge and just shave it all off completely.   I have a pretty thick head of hair (when it grows out), and it tends to be pretty coarse.   I have to admit that I am kind of intimidated by the prospect of shaving my head (afraid of botching it up or nicking my scalp up big-time), so I would appreciate any advice or insight ya'll could offer me.  A few friends over at badger and blade told me that this was a really helpful board. 

I should add the my primary concern is the uneven terrain of my scalp.   I can honestly say that I have one of the ugliest scalps out there.  From "mid-scalp" back, I have wrinkles, and "pot-holes" galore.    It is kinda like a mountain range back there, with tiny (and not so tiny) bumps, and ridges, etc.    Does this automatically mean that I am going to slice up this area of my scalp when I try to shave it, since the skin is so uneven?  Or is there a way I can avoid slicing up this area?   Thanks ina advance for any help or advice.  I plan on using a Mach 3 or a Gillette Sensor, and some Aveeno shaving cream.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Newbie here...first-time headshave-please help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
I'll let the more knowledgeable respond to your questions.

I just wanted to say "welcome' and that the shaving experience probably won't be as difficult as you think. Just take it very slowly the first few times.

Again, welcome.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »
Rub some olive oil on your scalp then the shaving cream. Proceed real slow against the grin cleaning the razor often.

Make sure you take your time and don't rush. If you need more cream then just lather on some more and you should be good to go.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
I would agree- taking your time is key as you first start out. When I rushed a few days into it there were nicks. You will find that as you get used to those spots that can be tricky it will get easier. Just lube up well and be sure you have a fresh blade to start. If it makes you feel better, I too have coarse hair and some uneven spots but now that I'm used to it the look gets better and better. Enjoy your first time- you'll be amazed at the result! Good luck -

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
Hi Tsuji:

Welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  I am also a member of "badgerandblade" since I entered the DE world in April.  I have been getting some great head shaves with safety razors.  As far as your dome... everyone here has some imperfections on their dome but still many have great head shaves.  Prep your head like U prep your face but definitely be more slow and cautious.

Check out the "head shaving section" of the forum under "your shave routine".  There are many priceless info that U can obtain by reading other members head shave routine.  If  U have any further questions feel free to ask us or U can PM me.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
Welcome!

Slow and steady wins the race when you first start!
Lynchy

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:43:55 AM »
Here is my advice.

Shave your hair to as short as possible with clippers.
Exfoliate your head with a good exfoliator.
Wash your head with soap and warm water.
Apply a shaving oil
Apply shaving soap ( or the gooey shaving gel if you have not made the switch yet) on the head with a badger brush
Use a BRAND NEW quality razor blade.
Shave with the grain slowly and carefully.  If possible get someone to do it for you the first time.
Wipe up the blood from the nicks that you will get from the virgin pimples, warts and or moles and add aftershave to sterilise the scalp.
Moisturise with a good cream afterwards.
Spend brief moments in the sun to get rid of the horrible contrast between the white scalp and the darker face.
Post a photo on this site for everyone to see
Google the crap out of shaving your head
Decide after 30 days if this is for you (Perhaps you won’t handle all the shaving with such an uneven scalp as you have alluded to.)
Read the advice of others here on SlyBaldGuys.com and with time you will be giving advice to other newbies.
If this is for you, buy the Headblade.  The control you have when you shave with it may deal with the uneven scalp better than a Match 3.
Don’t give a damn about what others say.

Good luck!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."