Author Topic: Why People Assume Shaved/Bald Head= Neo Nazi Skinhead?  (Read 19648 times)

Offline RyanF

• Learning the way of Sly
Why People Assume Shaved/Bald Head= Neo Nazi Skinhead?
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
I seen alot of forums about bald/shaved headed guys and was wondering why do people associate it with skinheads? Because on other forums for example like Yahoo Answers the responses say are you skinhead or you will look like one. I know they shave head but not every guy with bald or shaved head is one. I also am sick of these stereotypes since you can't even do something without others accusing you of being one. Has anyone ever been called that and what was your thoughts when they said it? Also should you grow your hair back due to this stereotype or would you just ignore it and do what makes you happy?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:19:47 PM by RyanF »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Why People Assume Shaved/Bald Head=Skinhead?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
Ignore it..................... there will always be stupid people.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
I will not allow others' uneducated (and unsolicited) opinions control my life. Turn the other way and move forward with confidence, particularly since you know the truth through your associations with other BBC/MPB guys on this forum.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
When I shave my entire head and face, I also get the skinhead comment from time to time. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. I am no skinhead, but I don't have any problem being associated with them, either. The skinheads I know are nice people and aren't hateful towards anyone.

I do, however, have some facial hair and it makes me look less 'skinhead'. I don't grow facial hair because of the skinhead comments, though, I grow it because of my own personal preference.

I agree with Mikekoz13 and FrontierGuy: there'll always be narrowminded people who think bald people are skinheads, people with long hair are hippies, etc. Don't let them have influence on your own decisions.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
I've never heard any such tripe. Maybe it's 'cause I'm just too old to be a skinhead?

Or the fact that I don't act or dress like one.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Why People Assume Shaved/Bald Head= Neo Nazi Skinhead?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
because some people are meant to be retarded.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »
I've never heard any such tripe. Maybe it's 'cause I'm just too old to be a skinhead?

Haha, same here.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:43:18 AM »
Ignore it..................... there will always be stupid people.

You can't fix stupid...

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
It's just an ignorant (and unfortunately somewhat common) misconception about baldies. Usually coming from people who have no real idea of the nature of a true "skinhead".
I'm kinda younger and have been shaving my head clean for almost 5 years straight. Not once have I been called a "skinhead". Even if I were, it would never deter me from shaving. I'd make sure to never engage in conversation with the idiot again, but that's about it.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline G

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly since 6/1/2012
    • The Philosophers' Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
It's a media created stereotype. Discovery Channel and such love to run documentaries that spotlight the negative. Selling fear works...like insurance.

Last night I went over to my favorite Chinese food joint. They're my neighbors and fellow business people, nice people. The owner a nice friendly gal couldn't look me directly in the eyes. She sees me every week but last night was different....well I look different all of a sudden. I dealt with it by being outgoing and polite. I complimented her thanked her and smiled. I told her that they make the best in the city, and I'm not lying they do! It came from the heart.

Also one should never grow their hair back because of presumption. Any challenge is a gift and an opportunity for growth. It can be no other way.  Slycology 101...
Cogito, Ergo Sum

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
The only place where my skinhead (as it was then) got comments like that, was when I have been in Germany.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:56:22 AM »
In the country where I live, I have never heard any remarks like this.  Bald is so "in" here in SA that it is hardly even commented on in a negative manner.  I guess this may apply in countries where skin heads are prevalent, e.g. European countries.  Here every second or third African male shaves bald or almost bald due to the genetic disposition to having very slow growing course hair.  So there is no "discrimination" if a white male does it.

I think due to our multi cultural “Rainbow nation”, being bald is just another manifestation of the diversity in this country, so it is somehow acceptable here.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Ron223

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Re: Why People Assume Shaved/Bald Head= Neo Nazi Skinhead?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Add to that being heavily tattooed and yes, I've definitely noticed a change in peoples reaction to me over this first week of being sly. It not a deterrent but I've certainly noticed.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
In the 3 years I've been head shaving I've never once been called a Neo nazi.
As for stereo types it only takes 1 jackass to mess things up for everyone.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
The best way to deal with someone like that is to ignore them. Or start laughing hysterically at how ignorant they are.
Hair is over rated.