Author Topic: I'm trying to grow a beard :)  (Read 8490 times)

Offline OMBrandon

• Sly Jr.
  • Mortem Tyrrani
Re: I'm trying to grow a beard :)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
Although I am brand spanking new here, think I may be able to help!

I have not taken the bald plunge, but have been growing a beard now for well over 7 years. In that time, I tried a mustache, goatee, full beard, Abe Lincoln, you name it. They all led me to one universal rule:

-The way your beard grows dictates your beard style. I tried for years to create a goatee/beard and my ideal "thought" of what my beard should look like. It wasn't until I bought a quality beard trimmer that I was greeted with a beard styles chart that explained common facial hair growth patterns. Once you understand how your beard comes in naturally, all you need do is minor trimming and clean up for it to look like your facial hair belongs.

Give it a bit more time. My beard takes about 2 weeks to fully come in, and even now I have some small patchy spots that do not look out of place when I trim up :)

Best of luck!

-Brandon
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »
-The way your beard grows dictates your beard style.

Agree with you there.

This is why mine look the way it does. The sideburns simply will not grow.

My first beard and six weeks in, it's starting to get some body and thickness to it.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
-The way your beard grows dictates your beard style. I tried for years to create a goatee/beard and my ideal "thought" of what my beard should look like. It wasn't until I bought a quality beard trimmer that I was greeted with a beard styles chart that explained common facial hair growth patterns. Once you understand how your beard comes in naturally, all you need do is minor trimming and clean up for it to look like your facial hair belongs.

Sage advice. A beard will only grow in the way it is genetically designed to do so. Nothing will change that. Otherwise, the same stimulant or growth trick would of course be used on the noggin and this website's patrons would only be about half the amount.  ;D
To all who want to grow a beard: work with what you got. I'd LOVE to be able to grow a full beard, but I simply can't pull it off. However, I've done my best to make up for it by sportin the best van dyke I can.
Most of all, good beards take patience. Lots and lots. Best of luck to all who have decided to try the way of the beard.  O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
Most of all, good beards take patience. Lots and lots. Best of luck to all who have decided to try the way of the beard.  O0

Agree with you all the way there.

You know, in some ways, the beard thing has been more interesting that shaving sly.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

Agree with you all the way there.

You know, in some ways, the beard thing has been more interesting that shaving sly.

Well, in the end, shaving sly is really just taking all of the hair off of your head (which we all know is a very enjoyable, and even somewhat therapeutic, experience within itself).
Growing a beard is sort of the opposite in that it requires the aforementioned time and patience. While you are watching and waiting for it to grow, you have to find the style that works for you, upkeep it, and shape it regularly to make it look good. Which again, is also VERY enjoyable when it comes out just right. Side thought: Funny thing is, once it gets long enough, you can have bad hair days, for real.  ;D

By the way, yours is coming in nicely, sir! I like the no-chops thing you got going. When's the last time you updated your picture?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
Well, in the end, shaving sly is really just taking all of the hair off of your head (which we all know is a very enjoyable, and even somewhat therapeutic, experience within itself).
Growing a beard is sort of the opposite in that it requires the aforementioned time and patience. While you are watching and waiting for it to grow, you have to find the style that works for you, upkeep it, and shape it regularly to make it look good. Which again, is also VERY enjoyable when it comes out just right. Side thought: Funny thing is, once it gets long enough, you can have bad hair days, for real.  ;D

By the way, yours is coming in nicely, sir! I like the no-chops thing you got going. When's the last time you updated your picture?

Completely agree with you about sly and beard experience. Both are enjoyable in their own very different ways. It's like gardening for your head. Trimming, shaving and working on that look.

Thanks for the compliments. Don't have much beard growth where the side burns ought to be, so I've settled on the no-chops look which I like in its distinctive way. That picture was last week - 6 June. Attached picture is today - 13 June.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
That picture was last week - 6 June. Attached picture is today - 13 June.

O0

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »
That picture was last week - 6 June. Attached picture is today - 13 June.

O0

Completely agree! Looks great!
How long do you plan on letting it grow, Jules?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
Completely agree! Looks great!
How long do you plan on letting it grow, Jules?

Thanks, Natedawg !

Went to the barbers today, to trim and shape up the 'tache and sides. Was getting to be a real problem drinking.

But, letting the chin hair grow another month. Really want the beard to hang from the chin. Like you say - takes several months or more for the beard take its final shape.

Meanwhile, upstairs, the daily head shave continues. I'm so used to being bald, that I forget than I am bald. If you know what I mean.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
Patience is paying off, you're well on your way to a really great beard.    Once you get to a length you like you may very well find that the sensation and look of thickening will happen over the next several months as you maintain that length.  The 'stache hair can be an issue, but resist over trimming because as you adjust to dealing with the additional length it takes care of itself, provided you have enough napkins to wipe up any stray food and drink :D

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
Patience is paying off, you're well on your way to a really great beard.    Once you get to a length you like you may very well find that the sensation and look of thickening will happen over the next several months as you maintain that length.  The 'stache hair can be an issue, but resist over trimming because as you adjust to dealing with the additional length it takes care of itself, provided you have enough napkins to wipe up any stray food and drink :D

Agreed. Think there's another month or two before this beard has reached its full potential. Really like the feel of the beard and thickness of the hair on my face. Caught myself combing it too ! Know what you mean about napkins. They're pretty much mandatory now.

And there's a bonus. A colleague has one of the best beards around. So now we finally get to compliment each other.

The bald club and the beard club. I'm applying for lifetime membership passes.  :)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
Growing a beard is sort of the opposite in that it requires the aforementioned time and patience. While you are watching and waiting for it to grow, you have to find the style that works for you, upkeep it, and shape it regularly to make it look good. Which again, is also VERY enjoyable when it comes out just right. Side thought: Funny thing is, once it gets long enough, you can have bad hair days, for real.  ;D

How did you manage to make it so that you have the EXACT SAME POSE in both your avatar picture and that upload picture?   :D
Completely agree with you about sly and beard experience. Both are enjoyable in their own very different ways. It's like gardening for your head. Trimming, shaving and working on that look.

Thanks for the compliments. Don't have much beard growth where the side burns ought to be, so I've settled on the no-chops look which I like in its distinctive way. That picture was last week - 6 June. Attached picture is today - 13 June.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
For all my profile pics, using iPhone and taking the picture in the same place. Then cropping the picture to get the same result.

Enter your email address: