Author Topic: another damn beard topic  (Read 3847 times)

Offline glaw

• Learning the way of Sly
another damn beard topic
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
alright lads, i usually grow my beard for a week ('designer stubble length') and then it just starts looking a bit long without having the 'fullness' to complement the length.. does it finally fill in?

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: another damn beard topic
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:48 AM »
alright lads, i usually grow my beard for a week ('designer stubble length') and then it just starts looking a bit long without having the 'fullness' to complement the length.. does it finally fill in?

Yes, from my reading on beard forums! For some it can take months!

I typically had mine like you, but have been growing it for a few weeks now and it is still filling in.

You should grow it for a bit and see how you feel!
Lynchy

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
I think it depends upon your age and your genetics.  My beard grew much slower in my 20's.  Now at almost 60, it seems to grow fast enough I need a trim every week to keep it looking not straggly.

Some guys and family lines just don't have much facial hair.  Look at Asians and American Indians, for example.  They just tend to have less facial hair.  Then there are the guys who have hair all over their body, like a carpet. 

If it's only been a week, I'd say that's not enough time to expect a beard to fill in.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:19 AM »
Then there are the guys who have hair all over their body, like a carpet.

#oC^^t ... Lol
Lynchy

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »
Check out a beard site, like beards.org, they have lots of good information.  Generally it takes at least three months for a beard to appear as anything but a stubble beard and six months or more to really mature to its maximum potential thickness because of the growth cycle of hair.  Sly--twenty minutes to gratification, beards are patience, lots of patience and 3 months or more to gratification.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
beards are patience, lots of patience and 3 months or more to gratification.

Can't emphasize this enough. You have to wait out the sometimes less-than-flattering stages of growth to get to where your want your beard to be.
In my case, there's no indication at all in my early stages of growth that my beard will end up looking like it does. You just have to give it time and see what happens. Best of luck if you decide to give it a go! O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »
Sly--twenty minutes to gratification, beards are patience, lots of patience and 3 months or more to gratification.

Wise words.

This is something which I am learning, too.

Offline SalWalker

• Sly Jr.
  • Contentment is wealth; luxury is poverty
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »
All depends on age and genetics.  For many, fullness takes time.  Patience grasshopper. 

Because it's mostly blondish-sandy-red, and it doesn't grow high up my cheeks, my beard looks thin as stubble.  But with time, it comes is alright.
"If you wish to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."  - Epictetus

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:41:45 AM »
I can't remember as it is 46 years ago since I grew my beard but I seem to recall it took some time to fill in.

Have patience!
Roger

Offline OMBrandon

• Sly Jr.
  • Mortem Tyrrani
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
It may be a good idea to thin ever couple days with a decent beard trimmer until you are satisfied. For instance, in the first week or 2 use a #1 setting on your trimmer even if you only get a course hairs.  Then as you notice the trimmer is cutting most of your beard move up to a 2, etc.

Brandon
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
I've noticed mine filling in more the longer I let it grow. I do keep it trimmed with  #3clipper though as I don't want it real long.