Author Topic: Thinking about a buzz this weekend...  (Read 6956 times)

Offline beanerdawg

• Sly Guy in Training
Thinking about a buzz this weekend...
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
How short should I go? Starting to recede on the temples and slightly towards the back? What terminology do I use??? No guard? #1? #00???

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
Re: Thinking about a buzz this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »
Well...you could just  go "all the way" and if you don't like it....let it grow back to a length you're happy with.

I kind of did the opposite...I buzzed it to a #3 - #4 first and really didn't like it and just kept buzzing it shorter.  Each time I went a little shorter, I tended to like it a little better.

I haven't yet gone "all the way", but I'm down to a #000000 (.1mm) and I'm actually quite happy with it...

Doing it the way I did just gave me (as well as people I know) a chance to get used to seeing me with shorter and shorter hair....it's whatever makes you comfortable.

I had fairly long hair and couldn't really picture myself with a buzzed/shaved head....but now, like many others here will say, I wish I had done it much sooner....the convenience alone makes it awesome.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Offline beanerdawg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks...I have had it down to a #2 as recently as 6 months ago. Don't think that was necessarily short enough... Is a no-guard the shortest you can go?

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:01 PM »
Well...it depends on what clippers you have, I think.

I started with a set of Wahl clippers I got at Walmart for like $25...perfectly fine set of clippers...the shortest guard that came with them was a 1/16"...when I tried it without the guard it was maybe a 1/32"?? (a guess....I'm not really sure)

Then I bought a pair of Oster Classic 76's (expensive...but nice) and you can buy different blades for them.  The shortest one I've found (and currently use) is a blade that Andis makes that cuts to 1/150" (.1mm)

But...if you're really wanting to go short...since the clippers and blades can be expensive, you might want to just go ahead and razor shave it and see if you like it completely sly.  If you do, then you won't need clippers.

If not, it grows back pretty fast.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
The Wahl clippers that I have are the Walmart variety. The no guard on that is about 1/32.  That was not short enough for me, so I got out the razor and took off all my hair.  I was very satisfied with the result. Should have done it sooner.

Agreed, different brands have different lengths when you use no guard.  In my opinion, the best 'no guard' is the razor.  It give a really smooth haircut. It looks good, and it's the same length every day you trim your hair.

Offline beanerdawg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
So I chickened out last weekend. This weekend I might do it, but the problem is I'm going  out tomorrow night. Will my white pale head look ridiculous??? I'll probably do a 1 guard...

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
Hey!

Definatley just do it! A no: 1 would be fine, not as good as bald but still good!

As for being white at a 1 there is still heaps of hair to keep you out of trouble.

Good luck!
Lynchy

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
Beaner, you can always find a reason to postpone. "Going out tomorrow night," "my sister is coming to visit," "The sun will rise tomorrow." You get the idea.

If you want to do it, then just do it. Bask in the joy of the experience and move forward with confidence.

Oh, and if you do it and go out tomorrow night are get lots of attention. Enjoy it, make a joke to lighten the moment, and move on. Yesterday I had lunch with former co-workers who hadn't seen my new look. The first comment was something like, "Oh my ... look at you!" I replied, "Oh, you've seen this shirt before haven't you." A chuckle all around and the topic changed to something else.

You can do it. If you want it.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline beanerdawg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
I'm almost convinced...maybe I'll do it tomorrow AM and then go buy some new threads...

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »
Not a bad idea...A buzz cut and new threads will certainly help. Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:43:47 AM »
Did you notice the theme in this and other threads? "I should have done it sooner."

Get the razor out.  Just do it. And we'll see your post in the morning, "I should have done it sooner."

Offline beanerdawg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
So...I did it. #1 guard. Don't think I look all that great, but I bought some new clothes. I'm not super thin yet, but I guess now I  won't be as paranoid about being seated underneath a bright light at dinner.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »
I use a the WAHL BALDING CLIPPERS when I don't use a razor. I think that's about as low as you can go with clippers.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
So...I did it. #1 guard. Don't think I look all that great, but I bought some new clothes. I'm not super thin yet, but I guess now I  won't be as paranoid about being seated underneath a bright light at dinner.

Congrats man!

This is othe first step!

Throw up some pictures if you get a chance.
Lynchy

Enter your email address: