Author Topic: No more combovers and no more combing  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Darrell

• Sly Jr.
  • Official Kilt of The United States Marine Corps
No more combovers and no more combing
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a week or so and thought it was high time to join Sly Bald Guys. I'm 60 years old and disabled. I have a neurological disease called peripheral neuropathy that is somewhat similar to multiple sclerosis except it damages the nerves to the peripheral nervous system rather than the central nervous system. I also have a condition called multilevel degenerative disc disease. I've had two spinal surgeries over the last two years and will probably have a least two more surgeries over the next year or so. I'm still ambulatory with a cane. However, I have to be cautious because the peripheral neuropathy has destroyed many of the nerves to the sweat glands, as well as sensory and motor nerves in my legs, arms, and hands, plus nerves to my heart. Consequently my heart rate doesn't ramp up and down like it should. Prior to all this, I had worked as a professional industrial engineer for 33 years.

Due to my medical condition, having the ventilation provided by a shaved head is a blessing. I had started to lose hair on the top of my head at age 25, so I did combovers until July of 2006. At that time, I stopped the combovers, but left my hair long enough to comb on the sides. Finally, about 2 weeks ago I decided to shave it all off - one of the best decisions I ever made. It feels great and looks great. I've been shaving with a Mach3 Turbo, but have a HeadBlade Sport and several of the HeadBlade lotions on order - can't wait to get them.

My daily attire is rather unusual for a western culture, in that I wear Scottish and Irish kilts publicly rather than trousers. I started doing this in August of 2005 because of the sweat gland and heart rate problems. The extra ventilation helps quite a bit, and they are so comfortable I wear them year round (heavy wool in the winter.) The extra mobility they afford also makes it much easier to get up and down, and in and out of cars due to my back problems. I have found wearing a kilt to really be a non-issue. Most people recognize what it is, and realize it's a man's garment. 

My wife and I celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary in Feb. We have 3 children that are now grown. Two of them have graduated college and are engaged in their own careers. The youngest is a college junior. Amazing how large a house can become when all the children have left. Where did all that time go?

Sorry for rambling. This is great web site. Proud to say that I am now Sly, and hope to get to know many of you. Will post a photo in the near future.

Darrell

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Re: No more combovers and no more combing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:35:20 PM »
welcome darrell.   hope you enjoy yourself.
bald for life

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:27 PM »
Darrell, thanks for joining and posting such a great introduction.  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mikesj

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:44:28 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys Darrell, going sly feels great and is almost always a better look....certainly beats the combover.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:22:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum Darrell,glad you found us   8)
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 05:42:10 AM »
Welcome to the SBG family Darrell, that was a great intro. We're glad you've decided to join, and looking forward to hearing more from you.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

KALBO

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 06:01:33 AM »
Welcome to the world of the SLY, Darrell! 8) Look forward to further posts and pictures from you! O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »
Welcome Darrell, glad to have you with us.  Make yourself at home and enjoy yourself. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

tsshaver1

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
Welcome Darrell. Great about wearing kilts. I don't have one but I like the look

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
Welcome aboard Darrell. I know where you are coming from as I have severe PN also. Looking forward to you posts.

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Welcome Darrell

Tom-I want your dog. Is it a labrador? when I was younger we had 2 labradors at seperate times and they are the greatest dogs. Im really jealous now  :Xo!

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I have to say... kilts are about the most manly things you can wear. Any guy that can wear heavy, coarse wool next to the "boys" is a real man ('cause after all, no self respecting Scot wears scivvies under his kilt)

Offline Darrell

• Sly Jr.
  • Official Kilt of The United States Marine Corps
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »
Thanks guys for the very warm welcome. I've added an avatar. The picture is not the best, I'll add a better one once I can barrow my son's digital camera. The kilt I'm wearing is the Official Kilt of the United States Marine Corps, and is called the "Leatherneck Tartan." It is recognized and registered with the Scottish Tartan Authority.

I wear it in support of our troops, and my service as a Navy medic stationed with the 2nd Marine Air Wing during the Vietnam War.

The shaved head and the kilt make my life much more enjoyable during the summer heat - should have shaved it all off years ago. All my HeadBlade stuff should be hear Tuesday. Can't wait to try out that HeadBlade Sport.

Darrell

jusbnme

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
Welcome to the SBG family Darrel.  Glad you joined us.  I really liked your intro too.  Welcome aboard.   O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 10:40:18 PM »
Darrell, you're looking very Sly with your kilt!  8)  When Vash logs in again, he'll be very happy to see that kilt on you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.