Author Topic: Was so depressed over my receding hair. Took no guard plunge. Changed my life  (Read 5297 times)

Offline mg42

• Learning the way of Sly
Hello there SBG. I just wanted to share my story in hopes of helping others on the fence to take the plunge and shave the dome!

Long story here...I had long hair ever since I was 19(was a skater/metal guy, still am). I loved it, the ladies loved it. I *felt* that I attracted more female attention due to my long hair. It was definitely me and apart of me. When I hit 24 I noticed my hair was starting to thin at the temples and the top. Ignored it for a while. About 2 years later it started to get worse, family even started to notice. It made me very very self conscious. Especially due to the fact that I have a big forehead and grew my hair long to cover it up.

This led me to start wearing caps/beanies every time I went outside. I actually shaved it down to a 3 once due to a friends wedding I was going to be in.  But that didn't last long as for some odd reason I didn't like the change. So I let my hair grow back to being long(shoulder length) and started wearing caps to hide my baldness.

I let the hair control me, it was terrible. I would purposely miss out on events where caps weren't allowed or would always quickly look up a bar/pub I was invited to online to view the dress code and see if hats were allowed..it was really bad:/

Finally at 27. I was starting to get tired of not being able to be "me". I didn't want to live under a cap forever. I wanted to be the confident man I was ment to be.  I started off telling a few close friends about why I wear caps and my balding situation(it was hard since most of my friends have good hair). They actually understood and slowly encouraged me to shave it and embrace it.  After half a year of being on the fence..I finally took the no guard plunge a month and a half ago and I've never felt so better. I was in shock at first, but after a week I felt more comfortable.

I thought my head shape would make me look hideous bald...I was wrong. I actually landed up visiting a couple of girl friends the first night I was shaved no guard(was hesitant but my friends forced me to lol). Without a hat too(they had never seen me without) and they totally liked it. I got my head rubbed and one of them even tried to make out with me later on in the night.  The next week, a similar incident happened at a bar with a female friend of mine trying to get at me.  The attraction from females was my worst fear about being bald. Now I am getting more than I did when I had long hair.

I have been getting positive compliments saying I look more "mature/cleaner/hot" and to be honest, I am still working with taking this all in. I have been getting a lot of attention, Its like I got another chance at life. I am surprised that I still get questioned on why I shaved it when even at a no guard, still looks like i'm balding, at least to me...Anyways

I just want to give a HUGE thanks to the SBG community for being here for support. As I have lurked for a few years before shaving. I plan to go sly this summer to see how it looks, but at the moment I am happy with the no guard shave. I just have to keep it up once a week.

Those who are on the fence, I highly encourage you to take the plunge..Even if its a number 1/no guard. The more you are losing the shorter you should go. If your worried about having a big head, I find that a no guard frames the face quite well.  My ONLY regret is that I should have done this years ago...Once again, thank you all:) 

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
at the moment I am happy with the no guard shave.
hey mg42:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  if U think U are happy with the no guard shave... just wait until U actually take the plunge and use a quality razor.  keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline IllinoisBaldy

• Sly
Welcome mg42.

Offline Tg96

• Sly Jr.
Congratulations, your story has made me more anxious to go sly

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome to the Forum, MG!! Outstanding intro and a great story for those on the fence.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Welcome to the forums MG!

Cheers,
Ro

Offline AJB1015

• Sly Jr.
  • Somewhere in between BBC and BBG (bald by genes)
inspiring, man.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Congratulations mate!

Thanks for sharing!
Lynchy

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Excellent post. Inspiration to others.

And welcome to SBG !

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Congratulations, your story has made me more anxious to go sly

TG, your day is not too far off! I'm looking forward to seeing you bald, knowing that you're going to really like it.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
hey mg42:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  if U think U are happy with the no guard shave... just wait until U actually take the plunge and use a quality razor.  keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness. O0

WARHAWK O0

I will second what Warhawk says.  If you like 'no guard' ... wait till you take to the razor.  No comparison.  Shaved looks and feels better. More distinctive.  Bold.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Well done MG! I'm so glad you are now getting to enjoy your life and feel free.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Welcome and  thank you for being so Inspiring  ,

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Welcome to the bald brotherhood. You have become a person who looked for encouragement to one who is now encouraging other brothers who are still on the fence. Best regards.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!