Author Topic: Darn! 5 o'clock shadow!  (Read 22751 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Darn! 5 o'clock shadow!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2007, 09:42:53 PM »
yes I still deal with that too.  The sticking of the shirt to the head.   Almost being like a blind man with a shirt stuck on his head.  Good thing I never take my shirt off out in the middle of the highway! LOL

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
the stubble for me comes back about 2.00 in the afternoon.  I hate that velcro feel, and like you other bro's, it makes me feel scruffy and un-kempt to feel it there.  If I'm goin out at night an the stubble's back then I gotta shave it down again: can't go out with stubble, even though, like you all say, no one but me would notice.  I notice, and that's enough!

I have dark hair, almost black, so the shadow never really disappears - but I think other people see you from a slightly different angle.  Sometimes, in photographs I'm amazed how shiny and shadowless my pate looks: like seeing it from another viewpoint.

Sure is addictive though.   :)

BALDANDRE

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
The SHADOW, the STUBBLE--it's really getting to me.  Using the Power Fusion & Headslick it doesn't show up until around 5 or 6 in the evening, but it's bugging me.  It's been 5 weeks Sly and I caught myself in the mirror the other night about 10p and I looked like a bald guy with the runway.  I wonder if there are any long term MPB Slys who can tell me whether you ever get over the bad feeling when the shadow is there reminding you that you are "small b" bald, I mean I like the shaved head look, until the shadow emphasises the runway reminds me that I'm MPB bald--and I feared that for a long time and obviously still do.  Consciously I "accept" the fact, but obviously just below conscious it's still very much there.  I realize it's probably only in my mind but it bugs the hell out of me.  How long  does it take until when you see the "runway" clearly defined by the shadow that you don't panic.  Do you just gradually lose the panic about small "b" bald, do you learn to accept it?  I'm going to a wedding this weekend and I am already getting concerned about how late I can possibly do the second shaving to avoid the shadow making me look MPB bald rather than a shaved head at the reception.
This probably sounds like the ravings of an idiot, but this really bugs me.

What time is your first daily shave? I find for special events like going out or weddings, ect, I usually shave around 2:00 or 3:00...

that keeps me shadow free and very slick all night! O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »
BA:
Weekdays, 6:30a, after the gym.  Weekends, 9:30-10a, again after the gym.  If that sounds like I'm and exercise addict, I confess I'm rather mean if I don't hit it at least 6 days a week.  I don't want to go around all day until 3 or 4 with the scruffy look--and the runway showing.  Right now I'm thinking regular shave at 9:30a or so, then  another at 4p, so unless we really get going at the reception and after, I'll make it.  It just bugs me I can't get over the mental thing.  I mean it's not like I'm not going to let it grow out.  Why can't I just learn that I'm not going to be the main attraction and that probably no one but me will notice, after all there will be lots of bald guys there who haven't seen the light of Sly?
When I read these last two posts I sound like I'm a little over the edge on this, but except for this MPB baldness business that's nearly a phobia, I'm really a fairly level headed guy. 

BALDANDRE

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2007, 01:42:54 PM »
BA:
Weekdays, 6:30a, after the gym.  Weekends, 9:30-10a, again after the gym.  If that sounds like I'm and exercise addict, I confess I'm rather mean if I don't hit it at least 6 days a week.  I don't want to go around all day until 3 or 4 with the scruffy look--and the runway showing.  Right now I'm thinking regular shave at 9:30a or so, then  another at 4p, so unless we really get going at the reception and after, I'll make it.  It just bugs me I can't get over the mental thing.  I mean it's not like I'm not going to let it grow out.  Why can't I just learn that I'm not going to be the main attraction and that probably no one but me will notice, after all there will be lots of bald guys there who haven't seen the light of Sly?
When I read these last two posts I sound like I'm a little over the edge on this, but except for this MPB baldness business that's nearly a phobia, I'm really a fairly level headed guy. 

No dude, it's understandable...you want to look totally bald and not that you HAVE to shave your head because of MPB...

Some dudes are cool with it, but if t bugs you, it does...period!

Really and if I was in your shoes I would consider the lazer like Jason did...I'm actually considering it sometime in my life and knoww if I had a real pronounced MPB that never faded even after shaving I would not hesitate..

Heck, they put makeup on Howie mandels head to cover his MPB and just show his gleamingly smooth dome on TV...so your worries are yours and legite...

Consider it and the day of the event, try to wait till at least 3:00 to shave for the whole day...you'll be looking sharp...it's one day..hey why not shave the night before you go to bed, then you wont be too scruffy! ;)

I would consider the lazer or tweeze though bro if it eats at you SLY should be a freeing experience...not a hindrence!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 02:39:46 PM »
BA, I agree, that laser sounds inviting, but I'm going to wait to see how 6 to 7 months of post-treatment works w/ Jason.  My shadow isn't bad until it's velcro at 14 hours or so out, then for some damn reason, the light or whatever, it's runway city, and I freak.
That idea of the night before, i.e. tonight, might work otherwise shave pre-gym tomorrow at 7.  Right now, I'm 000 sandpaper at worse, thanks to Fusion Power and Headslick, but we'll see later on tonight.  But it's getting close to Friday evening and a few shots to celebrate.  Thanks for the idea.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »
Velcro sucks..... :-[

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »
saintc, glad to see you've gotten some perspective on it. We make much more out of it than we have to. I've said this before, but the velcro, or shadow, is not a problem for me. It tells me I will be shaving again tomorrow. And I enjoy my shaving.    O0

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:55 AM »
That's a good way of lookin at it xnewyawka - the velcro feel sure does make me look forward to my next shave! 8)

I think we do get a bit hung up about the shadow, and it's not usually anything anyone else would notice.  We'd still look bald to most people if we didnt shave for a couple of days.  It's just to do with our own inner-most feelings.

Enter your email address: