Author Topic: Scalp Acne  (Read 28193 times)

Offline CMan0928

• Learning the way of Sly
Scalp Acne
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
Hey guys! First time poster here with a question. I just turned 30 and I've finally come to the conclusion that no matter how many special shampoos I try, how many different supplements I take, or how many times I wish for my thinning hair to return to it's glory days, it isn't going to happen. I started really thinning in the front part of my head when I was in my mid 20's. Now it's fairly noticeable. I don't want to fight it anymore and went out and purchased a $35 Wahl ChromePro Clipper Set. But before I buzz it down I need to resolve a problem. I have quite a few acne bumps on the top of my scalp as well as behind my ears and on the back of my head. I've tried a ton of methods for getting rid of these and haven't had much success. Clearly before I cut my hair to such a short length I would like to get rid of the bumps to avoid a bloodbath once I take the clipper to my head. Any thoughts on resolving this? I do have oily skin and get the occasional facial breakout as well. I use a good quality cleanser for my skin type and follow a skincare regimen to keep things in check. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Scalp Acne
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:15 AM »
First off, welcome.
Second, visit a dermatologist
Third: do you have face / other body areas acne problems?
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
Welcome!

Can't help much with the acne sorry. 

However shaving should allow for easier treatment!

Good luck ;)
Lynchy

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
BY all means  visit a dermatologist cost you a lot of dosh  , mbe first visit your pharmacist and talk to him or her  1st cud be cheaper  . Salycyclic acid presps a re in abundence in pharmacys  here  . Pharmacists are wise people  .

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
Welcome....I'd check with a dermatologist just to make sure it's nothing serious....Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
Another vote for the doctor, at thirty it could be another skin condition and not acne per se.  After the medicine man calms down the problem, you'll be able to scrape the grape without a problem and possibly help control the condition too.

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
The bumps you may have actually may be folliculitis, which is an inflammation of the hair follicles, sometimes caused by bacteria.  Your dermatologist take one look at It and either give you a cream or simple antibiotics. I had it and kept a script for antibiotics handy for when I had a breakout.

Easily treated if it is this.

Offline BaldingChris

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:36:46 AM »
Cman: I'm on the same boat. Picking up a hair clipper this week and then beginning my journey to slyness.
It seems I've been experiencing exactly what you are. Have always had minor acne starting in my teenage
years. It's gotten much better now that I'm older, but still constantly have a few small pimples on my back,
face, and scalp.

I feel like I've tried every aural and topical treatment. Was usually prescribed some form of Benzoyl Peroxide
and Salicylic Acid. After years of trying things and usually falling back on those same types of face wash, I
realized I could just buy them in non prescription form. So I stopped going to the dermatologost and began
using Oxy Face Wash (Benzoyl Peroxide) and Clearasil Daily Face Wash (Salicylic Acid). I found this to be the
best I could do, and stuck to it for a long time. Now since I'm about to buzz and would prefer no pimples if
possible, I'm going back to the dermatologist. I'll keep you posted on what I discover. Please do the same.

One thing that might help you a bit, which did for me. Apparently anti dandruff shampoos can help us.
Head and Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo (No Conditioner) was specificly recommended to me by
someone. After using it on and off for a year, I can say for sure, it absolutely helps. Also I'm thinking
about using the Salicylic Acid wash on my scalp once its buzzed or shaved. From my research, I believe
it'll be the best thing I can do.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
One other possibility is that although you've sliced the hair off at the skin, the gland that lubricates the hair shaft is still pumping out its product.  That may be causing a blockage and then some irritation, hence red spots.  I suggest also trying a loofah pad, available at WM for about $2-3--not the sponge just the pad.  Use that with a mild antibacterial soap like Cuticura every day to help keep the accumulation in the pores to a minimum.  Then some astringent and as suggested above benzoyl peroxide and also hydrocortizone lotion, not creme. 

Offline BlackDogBrewing

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Hildenbrandt's Iris Garden
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
The bumps you may have actually may be folliculitis, which is an inflammation of the hair follicles, sometimes caused by bacteria.  Your dermatologist take one look at It and either give you a cream or simple antibiotics. I had it and kept a script for antibiotics handy for when I had a breakout.

Easily treated if it is this.

I have this as well, my dermo put me on doxycycline 20 mg/2x a day, as well as using dapsone steriod gel at night, and DHC Zinc Shampoo in the morning.  It has helped, but I still get the breakouts.  Good luck; see a dermatologist.

Offline John125

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:39 AM »
Here are really nice and most informative article is written by you. I am totally agree with you and would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. I hope that you will continue to post here and help us by posted your beneficially tips.

Bloom Beauty Boutique
33 Hollywell Road Biggera Waters QLD 4216 Australia
Phone : +61 7 5563 9900
bloombeautyboutique.com.au
Bloom Beauty Boutique where you can evolve and bloom with confidence. Our expert team of therapists will provide you with a professional experience leaving you feeling nourished and pampered.Beauty Salon Gold Coast

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:49:28 PM by John125 »

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
I always had acne on my scalp (mis diagnosed way back as psoriasis)
after clipping always have a shower and use an anti bacterial wash in the shower like ph neutral Phisohex, then pay your head dry and don't touch it.
Also make sure you drink plenty of water and eat healthily

I found the combination of having my hair clipped and using the anto bacterial wash improved my acne greatly. If I eat badly and don't drink much water, it comes back a bit
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Shaquille

• Newly Bald
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:20 AM »
I got rid of my acne with shampoo believe it or not lol, the brand was selsun blue. My routine was pretty simple too, I'd start by putting the shampoo all over my head and face and then I'd use a cleansing pad to scrub in a circular motion, I did that twice a day and the acne was gone in a month or so. I still have occasional breakouts if I stop using it though.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
Try to use a natural product on your head. Eek out all chemicals and go for a wet shave. Moisturise and let nature intervene. A bald head will probably help quite a lot.

Enter your email address: