Author Topic: Waxing, hair removal systems and debilitating cream  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
Waxing, hair removal systems and debilitating cream
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
I don't see a lot of posts on these items. What do you guys think of these non shaving methods of getting rid of your hair?

I ask because it would be nice to have something that works so well I don't have to use it except once a week.  I know there are hair removal systems out there that make such claims. I would like to know if any of you have used any of these methods with good success.  Also which methods work well on a budget.

Thanks.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Waxing, hair removal systems and debilitating cream
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 05:56:45 AM »
The reason you don't see many posts about waxing and depilatory creams is that even the makers of these products advise that they're not to be used on heads. Depilatory creams can produce a bad chemical reaction that would scar your skin and waxing is the application of a medium designed to jerk out hair at a single tug. In doing so, you run the very real risk of pulling off sections of your scalp. The one thing that can be done, providing you can afford it and have a great deal of patience, is electrolysis. Over literally months, possibly years, a professional can track and mow down, follicle by follicle, every hair on your head and zap it. But it's a imperfect science and, even if one is balding, there's more hair on your head than you may think. Some of the other guys will have more to say on this but, in brief, that's what I know. PJ

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
There is a depilatory for the scalp called Magic Smooth...I tried it once back in 2008 when I went sly permanently for the first time....total waste of money. My suggestions for budget shavers (once they become comfortable) are: 1. a $4 bottle of shave secret mixed with your favorite shaving cream (brush is suggested, but not mandatory) with your favorite razor. 2. If you feel comfortable, a straight razor with cartridges from a beauty supply store (Sally's) One blade, if I keep it covered, lasts me about 10-15 shaves, so if you buy the blade with six razors, you can get 60-90 shaves for about $15...As for depilatory, it smells nasty, too much trouble to clean off, there's a tendency to miss spots, and it's a total waste of money, IMO. my 0.02.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
I just don't get this at all, what is the problem with shaving? I actually look forward to it.
As Blitzed stated above, those chemicals are not meant for the scalp, and I don't think it's a good idea for the face either. To each his own though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; there is nothing like a shave with a fresh, sharp blade on your razor of choice.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Pouring caustic chemicals on my head is not on my list of favorite things.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
I thought of all of this in the beginning  - -but mother nature took over and and all I get now is fuzz on top and a   "horseshoe"  fringe - - -

I love the shiny dome so I shave it  every day  - - -and I love shaving  - -I relax while shaving and the benefit of that shiny dome is wonderful  - -I get comments regularly - -  people wonder how  I get the shine - - - -and all I use is COLD water after I shave.  - - and several times a day (cold water on a wash cloth) to keep the shine.

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Thanks friends ! I just had to ask about these things.

There is the No No Hair Removal System that works well and is only about 270.00 - way out of my price range but cheaper than laser hair removal and electrolysis.  I spent a few hours yesterday investigating the pros and cons.

With this system over time and repeated use, it can kill your hair follicles permanently. This is the one option I do not want.

I'm also looking into Sugaring. Sugaring works like waxing but is supposed to be less painful and way cheaper. Sugaring unlike waxing does not stick to the scalp only the hair so it doesn't damage the skin. This seems like it might be my best option. If anyone has experience with sugaring please let me know.

I agree with for most people laser and electrolysis are silly options for the price and also may damage the hair which I don't want. I didn't know that debilitating creams were so harmful but thanks, so that's no longer an option.

I'm not against shaving or unhappy with shaving, just seeing what's out there. I think I'm going to try a HeadBlade Sport and learn more about sugaring. As many of you know I don't use shaving cream, just dry shave. Perhaps it's time I look into trying some.. anything to make shaving my head everyday a little easier and a little less time consuming.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Electric Rider--if you have a really, really high threshold of pain tolerance maybe you can do the wax/sugar bit.  But over the years a lot of guys have posted links to you tube vids that really make it look impossibly painful--google some of those up--you may change your mind. 

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
I hear ya Saintc. I understand sugaring is not supposed to be as painful as waxing. Still trying to get conformation of this. I don't want to cause myself unneeded pain either.

I did get a GREAT shave today. I don't use shaving cream as a rule but decided to give in and use "something". I looked up home alternatives to shaving cream since I did not have any on hand. Of the things I read about I decided to try both hair conditioner and glycerin. I happen to have a big bottle of glycerin bought from Essential Wholesale a soap making supply company. It's used in my other hobby electronic cigarettes.

I tested a 1/4 size area of my head with conditioner and another with glycerin. The conditioner side made a closer shave but the glycerin side was smoother as far as the razor gliding across my head. So, I mixed equal parts together and BAM. I got a really close smooth shave with no nicks cuts, burns or scratches. Best shave my head has had. I didn't save any time but the shave was awesome.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 04:17:54 AM »
As complicated the shaving thingy may sound, it's the safest, fastest best way to get rid of your hair. Especially after you get the hang of it :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
By the way, I find the term "debilitating cream" an amusing Freudian slip on "depilatory cream".

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
My advice  is dont waste your money on any of these  preps and chemicals  , unless there is research based  evidence  to support   a preparation that is safe to be used on the scalp  . I have yet to see it  and  certainly wont pay  $270 , there is a  lot of charlatans  around 

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »
By the way, I find the term "debilitating cream" an amusing Freudian slip on "depilatory cream".

DOH ! My face is red (and I didn't even use any of that stuff.. honest!) This is what happens when you misspell depilatory and use the spell checker in haste.

Course.. it could be the education.. why the wife and sister god bless her, and I did graduate the 6th grade together so I think were both purty smart.

Kidding ! .... ( it was the 5th grade! ha!)

Thanks for pointing this faux pas out. I may never live it down but I'm o.k. with that today :-)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
I do think it's an apt description, though...   O:O

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »

DOH ! My face is red (and I didn't even use any of that stuff.. honest!) This is what happens when you misspell depilatory and use the spell checker in haste.

Course.. it could be the education.. why the wife and sister god bless her, and I did graduate the 6th grade together so I think were both purty smart.

Kidding ! .... ( it was the 5th grade! ha!)

Thanks for pointing this faux pas out. I may never live it down but I'm o.k. with that today :-)

Your fine electric rider and welcome your posts , alot of wisdom in them , one day the R&D of some company your side of he pond will see a hidden market for those of us who want permanent baldness , which is safe  and ethical

Enter your email address: