Author Topic: How long is too long?  (Read 6936 times)

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
How long is too long?
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
I'm about to give up on this Sly thing. I'm literally shaving my head for 30-45 minutes a day and STILL feeling stubble after 2-3 hours. I use a headblade, nivea for sensitive male skin shave gel, clearhead, headwash and some headlube after. I also shave in the shower. What am I doing wrong? If I could get a clean head shave in 10 minutes then I'd be fine but its taking too long and its becoming very tiring. how can I cut down my shaving time? Please HELP!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Re: How long is too long?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
25 mins a day , i do it in 5 mins and i got a full head of head ,

Shower first

Dry body

Lather gillette gel head and face

Hot water wash basin and clean sweeps , I shave every day mind you , might be harder if your shaving alternate days.

Rinse your razor , use a gillette fusion. Or a mach 3  and a good mirror ,, feel the results , and correct , rinse hot water cold water after face , and oil or creme stuff  for a perfect shine

After shave to face

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:36:05 AM »
Read again ditch head blade for a while , sri guys its a pain in the neck , this is what is taking the time

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »
I shave daily. Now, how often should I change the blade/cartridge?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 06:12:14 AM »
I think the root of the problem is the Headblade. I've gotten better results with Mach 3, my straight razor, and even twin blade disposables from Walgreens. Just a suggestion. Get a shaving brush and mix some Shave Secret with your favorite shaving cream and apply the brush on your scalp. I suggest disposable razors with at least two, but not more than four blades. Headblade is not a bad thing, but IMO, it's just not for people who have limited time to shave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: How long is too long?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:42 AM »
I might have to agree with shelving the HB for now...it might not be the weapon of choice for ya... j/s.
Albiet, I'm a HB user...shave every morning using astra doubles and don't get stubble until late evening.
Give those razors the fellas have suggested a try...sometimes ya gotta experiment until ya find ya niche....my. 02 cents ;)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
I agree with the bro's above. Try using a Mach III, it's still one of the best out there, imo.
It takes a little time to become accustomed to the HeadBlade, so maybe use it for every third shave until you have a better feel for how it works.

What blade cartridge are you using with it?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
I'm about to give up on this Sly thing. I'm literally shaving my head for 30-45 minutes a day and STILL feeling stubble after 2-3 hours. I use a headblade, nivea for sensitive male skin shave gel, clearhead, headwash and some headlube after. I also shave in the shower. What am I doing wrong? If I could get a clean head shave in 10 minutes then I'd be fine but its taking too long and its becoming very tiring. how can I cut down my shaving time? Please HELP!

Sounds like I have a similar routine, but I'm timing out at about 7-8 minutes daily. Although I shave at the sink after the shower.

Still get a close shave.  Wife won't touch my head if it is not very smooth.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I have shelved the HB, as well, in favor of my Personna M5 Magnum. I was having some repeated cut problems with the HB Triples no matter how careful I tried to be. I don't know if they did something different with later Triples or what but I was cutting myself all the time.
Sad about it, too, because I used to  :@` my HB! Not so much now. In fact I bought a new model Sport a while ago which I have not even taken out of the package.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
I gave up on mine years ago.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
I gave up on mine years ago.

And yet I still wear their apparel. I can't explain it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Wow. I appreciate all the great feedback. At the moment, I'm using the TripleBlade HB cartridges with the HB. I'm changing them roughly every 3-4 days, sometimes 5. I recently purchased a Fusion Proglide Manual Razor and I use that on my face. I used it on my head once after taking a shower at the sink. I was still using HeadSlick at that moment and it had been a few days since I had shaved my head so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

Do you find it takes longer to do it in the shower since you can't "see" what you're doing? I can do it all by feel but it seems a bit easier/faster when I can see what I'm doing. I like the lather I get from the Nivea Shave Gel better then headslick and it sounds a lot like I should just DITCH the HB all together at least for awhile and really give the manual proglide a fair shot. I'm just so tired of spending so much time shaving my head.

If I was a complete new Sly guy - I would say OK, it's just going to take time to get used to it, practice, etc. but I've been shaving my head now for over a year and it still always takes a good 20-30, sometimes longer every day and thats just too time consuming but I LOVE the way my head feels after a shave, smooth, clean.. etc..and I really don't want to lose that.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
I agree with the bro's above. Try using a Mach III, it's still one of the best out there, imo.
It takes a little time to become accustomed to the HeadBlade, so maybe use it for every third shave until you have a better feel for how it works.

What blade cartridge are you using with it?

HB Triples

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
What do you guys think: Mach III or Fusion Proglide (new model, 5 blades)?

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: How long is too long?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
Try them both. I use the ProGlide for my face shaving duties... Good results with it.

Cheers,
Ro

Enter your email address: