Author Topic: A new Android user  (Read 1730 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
A new Android user
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
I recently upgraded my phone to a smartphone and I am now the owner of a LG Optimus running Android 2.2.2 (Froyo). I am so accustomed to my iPod/iPad that it is like learning another language.  :D

For any Android users out there......what are some good apps? Is rooting worth it?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: A new Android user
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
Tapatalk for one! There are a ton of apps out there... Browse thru Google play (app store)
Rooting (same as jailbreaking) is great if you want complete control of your phone (OS) Never was an Iphone/Pad fanboy (not knocking Apple or any Bros who own them) just been with Android since cupcake/donut (1. 5,1.6)
Word to the wise... If you don't know the first thing about rooting, don't do it... You run the risk of bricking your phone... And guess what, you just bought yourself an expensive paperweight! :o

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: A new Android user
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
I used to have an android based phone.
android is useful, but the apps will just kill the phone cpu :d, so I always sticked to the basics.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
@Paul...that's one of the advantages of rooting. There are apps (that require root) that do just that, control what apps are opened (running in the background), overclock/undervolt your cpu, devs that tweak the stock ROMs that make the phone that much better (another advantage of android, the OS is open source, not tied down at the ankles like iOS)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
The youversion.com app for Bible reading is worth getting.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
Well, I never even heard of "rooting" except in the garden sense, but I have the Motorola Razr with 2.3.5.  As for apps, I like the news apps from our local rag, abc & NPR, the weather channel app--really useful on the road when it's storming cats & dogs, tapatalk--of course, colornote, flight tracker--when I'm flying it's a life saver, NFL Mobile, Open Table--great to find restaurants in other cities, our local jazz radio wwoz app, and during Mardi Gras the Parade Tracker.  Those are just a few.  I find a new one and a new use for the phone all the time. 
The Razr has a internal program that keeps adjusting to my use to make the battery life extend--really great, I don't know if that's on all droid phones but it's a really neat deal and makes the battery last all day unless I use it to bring files from my computer at work.