Author Topic: Anniversary - Help Needed!  (Read 1518 times)

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
Anniversary - Help Needed!
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Hi Guys! I'm looking for your help if possible. The anniversary of the death of my girlfriends father is coming up. Without saying too much he died in tragic circumstances when she was pretty young and i know it affected her a lot at the time and still does. This will be the first year i've been with her when the anniversary rolls around but we are already very close and very much in love so id like to do something nice for her. Im going to the memorial service but id like to make an extra gesture to show my love and support for her. Should i do this with a gift or some other way or is it best just to attend the service and not make any extra deal of what is a difficult time for her. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks as always!!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Re: Anniversary - Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
In death my advice is kindness to your girlfriend , this can be verbal and physical , support her through this difficult time . Any form of suffering is not permanent , winter always turns to spring .a bereavement takes time , you never get over it but learn to live with it  words of HM E
Izabeth , the Queen Mother, Nichiren Daishonin, and me

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
It's hard to know what to suggest given the limited information (and please understand, I'm not asking for you to disclose more.)  One suggestion I would offer is to do some kind of service to others in honor of your girlfriend's father.    I make this suggestion because a few years ago, a person we knew quite well met a tragic, untimely end.  To celebrate his life on the anniversary of his passing, a group of us did service projects for his favorite charities / causes. His family was very grateful for the effort.

Just an idea.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:10:52 AM »
uwm, a gift? sorry but no, maybe with a happy ocasion.
I'd say: stay with her all day long, with her family. show her that she has all your support and understanding.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
If he had a cause or charity he felt strongly about you could make a donation in his name.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »
Attending the service and being extra supportive and kind to her and her family is what I would recommend.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
Tom Gallagher's advice is right on.  Your supportive presence is the main thing.  You might try to be alert to address any need that might come up during the day.  Being supportive of her and her other family members is the ideal.

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice gents! I'm going to just try and be extra supportive and considerate on the day