Author Topic: Shaving with a Safety Razor  (Read 6651 times)

Offline PET

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Fat, Bald with a goatee
    • Starcraft 2 Romania
Shaving with a Safety Razor
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:52 AM »
Hello guys,

Long time no see. I just wanted to give an update with my recent experiments. My last post was in 2010 when I finally got a Headblade. I can honestly say... I used that for 2 months and that's it.

For years I shaved with a Gillette. M2, M3, ... 5 blades. I got tired. I saw the Headblade and I liked the idea, however. On my second shave I managed to cut a big big spot of my scalp. Around 1cm. You needed to be very careful. The price for the blades was the same with Gillette, around 13$ or 10 euros. Last year I asked myself, what other choices do I have?

I bought a Wilkinson pack:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilkinson-Sword-Blades-Classic-Double-Edged/dp/B0012Y1FCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333490236&sr=8-2

Very cheap, it comes with a pack of 5 razors. For us it was around 5$.
I bought a cheap Shaving Brush, around 3$.
Shaving Cream 2.5$
some Aloevera After shave cream around 5$.

This was the beginning of something beautiful.

The Wilkinson blades were a pain in the ass. I felt how the blade was "cutting" my face in the bad way. Maybe I wasn't preparing my face as it should, but I will not use them again.

Then I tested some Derby blades. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derby-Stainless-Available-different-quantities/dp/B0031BDGKQ/ref=pd_ybh_10

I found them much much better.

In the meantime I bought a new Safety Razor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-De89bl-Chrome-Plated/dp/B003LW4L2W/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333490032&sr=8-3-spell

And because I ran out of Derby blades (I can't purchase them in Romania) I went to the non-stop store and got something like this:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5516/p1060602z.jpg

Basically a pack of 5 blades costs around 0.85$. Surprisingly they were pretty nice.

Now, the reason why I decided to post this is because I just got my order from Amazon of 30 Feather Blades:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feather-Hi-Stainless-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B002YTRJ4K/ref=pd_ybh_18

More expansive than normal blades but damn, I just got one of my best shaves.

And I still can't believe how cheap it is. I plan to buy a pack of different blades because I still want to test some more. Any suggestions on what blades to try out?

Before I started wet shaving I always had the impression you can CUT yourself and it's not safe because I was shaving my head. Man I was wrong.

I plan to also test some Soaps & other creams. Any suggestions?

Is there anyone else who is shaving on the head with a classic razor?

Thanks

Starcraft 2 Romania - Live Tournaments, Game Commentaries and Analyssis
www.sc2ro.ro

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Shaving with a Safety Razor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
welcome back 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya found another way 2 keep the dome smoooooth.   i usually shave with a fusion, M5, or schick hydro5 but last week i had my 1st face and head shave with a 1974 vintage gillette super speed safety razor. 

i am still in the "testing" stages with this beautiful razor.  i will post up my review of this razor in 3 months.  reason being.... there R sooooo many double edge blades out there that i wanna try out.  so far.... i am have a lot of fun with this razor. O0 8)

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »
Welcome back ,

Offline JBjunior

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
First post here.  I am not sly, but I am contemplating it for some upcoming military training I have (swimming, exercise, short time to do things in) but I am a traditional wet shaver.  I have been doing it for a couple of years and I have been so busy lately that it isn't as much fun as it used to be.  I just purchased the Panasonic 8243A with some shave oil to see how I like that for my face and to use it for my head if the time comes.

Anyway, the purpose of my post was that there are tons of blades out there with the feather coming in as being the sharpest, but not everyone's favorites.  They are my blade of choice and I have tried a few including the derby brand.  They are pretty cheap and there is a guy on ebay that lives in Singapore (I think) that has amazing deals on blades.  I will also say that because I have been rushing and tend to either not get as good a shave as I would like or cut myself.  Even when I am not rushing, the contours of the face are tricky and I can only imagine about the issues that people might have with their head.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
hey jb:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  post up  your introduction in the "introduction section" of the forum so we can give ya a proper welcome.

as i stated earlier... i'm new when it comes 2 face/head shaving with safety razors.  all i gotta say is that i have been very slow at it but it has been fun.  just B very slow and cautious when u decide 2 headshave with a double edge safety razor.  with u having experience with the safety razor on face.... that should give u a better advantage than me.
good luck and keep us posted. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline PET

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Starcraft 2 Romania
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
When I started to shave with a Safety Razor ... I went to shave each day for a couple of days just because I liked the ritual. Now I'm back on being lazy :)
www.sc2ro.ro

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
Interesting....think I will stick with my traditional straight edge when I go back to razor shaving later this month....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »
I keep telling myself that I'm going to get a DE safety razor but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
My research tells me that those feather blades are some of the best.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
I keep telling myself that I'm going to get a DE safety razor but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
My research tells me that those feather blades are some of the best.

hey mike:  as a very fresh newbie... 2 the DE world (started last week)...u gotta try it.  face shaving with a DE is not too bad but head shaving has been difficult but i'm not giving up.  PM me if i can be of any help.

WARHAWK O0

Offline PET

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Starcraft 2 Romania
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »
For me the head shaving is the most easy part. Mainly because the skin is not that sensitive and it does not hurt.
www.sc2ro.ro

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »
Hi there PET.  Thanks for the post and the links.

Guys, I was terrified of using a DE on my head.  But after you take the first leap, and you go SLOWLY you may just discover that this is for you.  I got the knack quickly.  Time is a factor, yes I will admit.  So having experimented, my deal is, "The amazing HeadBlade for my dome and the DE for the face."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:54:33 AM by waine »
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline PET

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Starcraft 2 Romania
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
Actually that headblade is much more unsafe than the classic DE. I threw my headblade out. Full DE use on my face & head.

The headblade was the only device EVER that I used that actually managed to take a big portion of my skin. A 1cm circle. 1cm = 0.39 inches. A pretty big portion.

I could actually SEE the skin in the blades. I can tell you that was not pretty.

Also from the razor costs, headblade was the same with Gillette. And that means very VERY expensive. 10 euro ... or ~13$ for a pack of 3? 1 blade lasts me around 4 shaves. So you do the math.

I did the math on classic razors. I use around 35 razors per year.

You can buy a pack of 100 for around 13$.

So....
www.sc2ro.ro

Offline DaveM61

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »
I'm with Waine ... I use HB on my dome and DE on my face.  I've never had a problem with the HB.  I'd be nervous to us the DE on my head.  But, I guess I'm contemplating trying it at some point in the future.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
Ah, another anti-Headblader.....That's part of the fun of this forum, finding your yea's and your nay's on any given subject!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline PET

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Starcraft 2 Romania
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
Well. I tested it. First I tought "WoW this is soooo coool. A device build especially for my head. Now everything will be ok".

But it was just another marketing sh*t :)

Totally happy now.

www.sc2ro.ro