Author Topic: "Atlas Shrugged" movie, part 1.  (Read 3300 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
"Atlas Shrugged" movie, part 1.
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Anybody seen this? I just rented the dvd yesterday and watched it. In order to avoid being a "spoiler" I will refrain from giving my opinion of the plot at present.
On the production side, however, I think that the movie was very skillfully done as it allows people on either side of the topic to see the subject matter from their own point of view.
I began reading the book several years ago but was not able to really identify with the plot and I put the book down. After seeing part one my interest has been re-ignited. I will read this book soon, all 1,000 or so pages. Might take a few days.
If anybody has seen the movie or read the book please check in with some input. I would prefer that peopole who have actually read or watched check in rather than those who have opinions based on the opinions of others.
Some people consider this sci-fi. I'd like to get opinions regarding that, as well.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: "Atlas Shrugged" movie, part 1.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
Like you, I got through a portion of the book and put it down...this was about 10 years ago.  I saw this movie on Netflix and decided to watch it.  I think this movie was BRILLIANTLY done!  Like you said, I think it lets others form their own opinion.  One of the reasons that I think it's so brilliant is that it really sticks to the narrative of the book.  I'm extremely excited to see Part 2 this fall.  I will also pick up the book again and read it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
I never read the book but I did enjoy the film.  It took me a little while to get the hang of what was going on, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. It's amazing to think that something written in the 1950s can be so relevant to what's going on today.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »
Like you, I got through a portion of the book and put it down...this was about 10 years ago.  I saw this movie on Netflix and decided to watch it.  I think this movie was BRILLIANTLY done!  Like you said, I think it lets others form their own opinion.  One of the reasons that I think it's so brilliant is that it really sticks to the narrative of the book.  I'm extremely excited to see Part 2 this fall.  I will also pick up the book again and read it.

I just watched this a couple of weeks ago by chance. Any idea when part 2 is due out?

P.S. Sorry for dragging out such an old post. Haven't been around for awhile and I'm cleaning out my unread posts...very selectively. >:D
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Re: "Atlas Shrugged" movie, part 1.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
I've heard October of this year.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
Giving this post a bump...

I just finished watching this movie on Netflix. It was great! At first I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I gave it a few more minutes. Those few extra minutes of watching we're enough to draw me in for the rest of the film. I think that it is a great story. Now I'll have to get the book and read it.

My only "critique" is that he movie was Part 1 :D I want to see how the rest of the story ends. I would recommend this movie to anyone.

As for it being a sci fi film - I don't see it. It is only slightly in the near future but other than that I didn't see anything sci fi about it.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.