Author Topic: headrest car seat covers  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
headrest car seat covers
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
So.... I started shaving my head 7 months ago and got a new car 3 months ago.  This is the first time I've had leather seats and I have been trying not to rest my head on the head rest because 1) in the winter it was cold if I took my hat off and 2) my skin is oily and I'm thinking it will stain/discolor the seat.  When I had my old car, it was cloth (kind of nylon) seats and it didn't seem to show any oil stains.

I was wondering if anyone has an elegant solution to covering the headrest in the car.  I didn't want to just throw a towel over it.  I'm thinking I'll have to match the color in some stretchy fabric and make a slip cover.  Has anyone else thought about this?  Do you just clean the headrest periodically?  Do you just not care if the headrest gets dirty/discolored?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: headrest car seat covers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:00:03 AM »
I just clean them regularly.  Leather seats need to be cleaned and treated so they retain their suppleness and don't begin to crack.  If the leather is a light color, you'll want to prevent dirt build-up.  Mother's and Meguiar's both make good leather cleaners / conditioners.  They're available at NAPA stores and other places as well. 

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
I made these suede headrest wraps a long time ago because I didn't like the cold leather on my head in winter and I definitely didn't like the look of the oils that transfer to the leather either.  These things are perfect and just velcro underneath so they can be easily removed for washing.  I just had them embroidered with the car logo so I thought I'd share a picture.  People have asked me to make them for their cars and some people say they look like they came with the car.  It's a great accesory for the bald guy.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
Nice work, acme. Maybe you could start a your own business.
Hair is over rated.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
I love the style of JUKE. How do like it ?  How does it perform ?

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
I love the style of JUKE. How do like it ?  How does it perform ?

I love it.  I love the style and it's very comfortable to me.  This is my first 4 door car and the only reason I considered it is because it looks like a 2 door.  It's also my first automatic because the AWD did not come in a manual transmission.  Took it from MD to NC for 9 hours each way and no complaints.  Very comfortable, high seating position, and feels big in a little easy to drive and maneuver car.  A couple people in the Juke forum have reported totalling their Jukes in serious accidents and they have walked away without a scratch.

It's pretty quick (although never fast enough!!).   I've never had a car that really moves like this and I love the turbo.  The torque vectoring AWD really works well too.  This is my first AWD, all my other cars were FWD and I really feel like the car moves differently.  It has a switch to put it in FWD, AWD-V, or AWD.  I leave it in AWD-V (vectoring) which cuts down a little on MPG but it makes curves very stable at high speeds

My main complaint was the factory navigation but I had that replaced.  My second complaint was I didn't like my bald head on the leather headrest and I took care of that with the suede wraps.  With the rear seats up, there is very little cargo space but with them down it's pretty decent.

If you're critical on MPG, I've gotten between 23ish and 29ish.  I usually get on the low end because I don't make a lot of long highway trips and I don't drive to conserve gas.  And, this car makes you want to drive to have fun.

This is the first time I changed cars because I really liked a car and I have no regrets.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
Nice work, acme. Maybe you could start a your own business.

Yeah, I'd like to.  But there are so many different sizes and colors needed it would be hard to do.  It's also something people can easily make themselves if they wanted to.  And if people liked the embroidered logos, I'd probably have to get licensing rights for that.

I do recommend them for any bald people with leather seats.  The suede is nice and soft on the head, it's not freezing in winter, and since my skin is oily, they keep the headrest clean and I can easily un-velcro them for cleaning.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
Nice to see you posting again Acme.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Nice to see you posting again Acme.

:) Thanks!  I've been on the Juke forum learning some stuff over there.  I've never liked a car this much before.  There's just not enough time for everything  :(.   And I shaved the beard for the summer so I didn't know if I could still post if I didn't look like the picture but I see it's still working.