Author Topic: Is SLy bald more of a current state of acceptance ?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Is SLy bald more of a current state of acceptance ?
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:49:20 AM »
I   have been  head shaving  for a while  and  seen   how  it appears  to be more acceptable to family  , colleagues  and  society in general  . Well I am a Buddhist and in my tradition it is not necessary to  shave your  head  , I do  it for  the same reasons as  extensively stated  in numerous   topics . A bit of me finds it very exciting  each morning  ,but this is being able to use the  senses  .

I just wonder how much guys  do get hassled   and even worse bullied  at work or by colleagues  ?
The shaven head   used to mean  a convict
Mental  Health
One of the criminal fraternity  .

Now it is  manly and indeed suits some girls

It is a design of beauty  and attraction

One the few   occasions  that I have been hassled I  laugh it off and am amused by  it

It is accceptable to  employers  in the UK  ,

I think  long hair  is not quite the  case  .

what do you say

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Is SLy bald more of a current state of acceptance ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:01:19 AM »
Look at my avatar. Don't be fooled by my lovely daughter.... nobody bullies me.

I think it's ironic that society doesn't allow people to say things about peoples' race, color, sexual orientation, or gender.... but you can criticize the Hell out of what people look like and it's OK.
Well it's not OK with me. "F" the haters!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
You hit the nail right on the head...............if there is an ass-h*** in the area ,a bald dome will bring him or her out.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
I haven't had anyone disparage me about my looks since leaving junior high. I really can't imagine anyone over the age of 14 taunting someone for their looks. And if anyone ever did, I'd certainly let them know that in no uncertain terms.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »
I see more and more guys with shaved heads as it becomes more common and "acceptable".  I buzzed real short back in 1950 - got kidded but even then it was "acceptable".  I fully shaved in 1980 - again accepted - obviously elicited some comments.  I suspect shaved head or buzzed very short is considered now nicer than the comb over look for those losing hair which happens to majority of men. 

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
I've never received any noticeable negative feedback regarding my lack of hair. Whether this is due to slyness having become "acceptable" or whether it's due to my size and the way I carry myself I don't know. Someone making fun of my bald dome would not give me a reason to want to get physical. I tend to be somewhat self-effacing with my humor anyway so I'd probably laugh that off, too.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »
I first shaved my head in 1991.  Got cat-calls from two people, one at work, one in a grocery store, neither of whom knew me.  The last time I caught grief was in 2005, when I did a full razor shave, and several people at work laughed at me.  At that time the workplace was mostly "hippy-generation" people with balding ponytails, etc..  Fast-forward a year and most of the "hippies" have retired, quit, or been canned, while a new crop of young people who are more tolerant of diversity were hired (we changed what we did at the workplace, hence the personnel turnover).  Not a peep from anyone since, there or anyplace else.  At least around here it seems to be a non-issue now.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »
I am delighted to hear about the degree of tolerance Calbito some of the intolerance could be cultural ?