Author Topic: Survival gear?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Survival gear?
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »
I'm posting this in the auto section because, although it's not strictly an automotive item, a survival kit is something I carry in my car. That's something that could be pressed into service in the event that I got stranded on the road up here particularly in winter.
The plan, were I to get snowbound in the car, would be to stay with the car and try to summon help by calling or texting with the cell phone. A lot of people think that when the car goes into the ditch that it's time to start walking. I don't agree with that. In my case I have a 30 mile commute over 2 lane county and state roads to go to my night shift job. I can sometimes do the entire 30 mile trip seeing only one or two other cars the whole way. So help doesn't always come along when needed.
The obvious things I keep in the car are snack foods like protein bars or Clif bars, a couple of bottles of water, and a sleeping bag.
I also keep 2 cans of Sterno. In the event that I would get stranded and can't get the engine to run for whatever reason these can provide heat for short term warmth inside the car.
Does anyone else keep a kit like this in the car? What kinds of items do you keep in yours to sustain you if something goes wrong? I'm interested in ideas for mine but also a discussion of strategy/planning in the event that something does go wrong. 

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Survival gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »
sure do, I have a comprehensive first aid kit, lighter/matches, compass, knife, waterproof paper and pencil, a space blanket, rain poncho, gel hand warmer, wire for holding up a loose muffler etc, a socket set, an adjustable wrench, and a solar charged torch that I leave on the dash during the day.