Author Topic: Need help on sunscreen for the bald head  (Read 24370 times)

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
Need help on sunscreen for the bald head
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
Ok so Im going to Panama City next week for spring break and Im gonna be in the sun ALL week long. Ive only been bald since maybe October so I havent been able to be in the sun with a shaved head yet. So my question is, what kind of sunscreen should I be getting for my head?

Im not usually a big fan of sunscreen because I tan a lot better without it, but since my head hasnt been exposed to the sun yet I know Ill need it. I cant be having a scorched head where I cant shave when Im down there. At the same time I dont want something thats gonna leave my head as white as it is right now, Im looking forward to having a really dark tan to make me look like a new person.

Ive actually been looking forward to this week for a while now(I mean who DOESNT look forward to spring break lol), but more so because Im not used to the bald look yet. I have been working out for a while now and Ive heard that a tan makes bald look a LOT better so Im hoping to increase my confidence by about 1000 by the end of the week.

Offline valldo

• Sly
Re: Need help on sunscreen for the bald head
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
Wether you like or dislike sunscreen, you will need to apply it, and going to Panama I would say your dome will be the most important thing to watch out for during your week there. If you have been sly since October, if you only stayed outside a little bit every day, you must have some tan already.
Your health is much more important than a little bit of tanning. I would suggest you take a SPF30, if not SPF50 with you, and apply often
If you are in a rush and don't have time to choose a sunscreen, take the first you get which absorbs well.
And don't forget to cover your head anyway, at least part time.
Have fun in the sun

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
the question I wanted to ask:D
In Romania the nature has its course, so the worm days are comming. I'll go to a drug store to learn more about the sunscreen and which shall I use.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
Headlube has a sunscreen/lotion combination.

You can use any quality sunscreen on your head that you would use for other parts of your body.

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
What does the spf30 and 50s mean? Is that the strength of it or something? I feel slow asking these questions but I seriously have not used sunscreen since I was a kid.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »
Whatever the strength, be sure the sunscreen protects against UVA & UVB rays--and always remember the reason is to prevent skin cancers--no scars on our nice domes please! :)

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
And don't just apply it in the morning and expect it to last all day. You'll need to read the instructions but if you're going to be out for some time you'll need to reapply often for the best protection.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »
Usually at work, hard hats are required when outdoors...but when I'm not working I wear fitted caps that protect everywhere except the nape of the neck...will start using some sunscreen this summer, though.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dr-photo

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:36:35 AM »
The factor strength is calculated on how much longer you can stay in the sun without burning. Eg, if it normally takes half an hour to burn then factor twenty will give you 20 times that, ten hours. But as you head isn't toughened up go for at least a thirty, your head will still tan. The skin on your head feels like a babies bum, and will burn like one too!!! With a spring break hangover you don't want burns on top. Cheap the UVA and UVB blocking. Panama is going to be hot. Use more sunscreen than you think you should, and a higher factor, your head isn't used to the sun
only dead fish go with the flow

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »
 Use at least a 45 as it would provide ample protection if done correctly....................use a good amount all over including ears. Best advice is wear a ball cap plus sunscreen when out doors. Tans look great but are a sign of damage so be careful.have fun.

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
Use a good sunscreen !! Like SPF 50 !! DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR NOGGIN TO THE SUN FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES THE FIRST DAY !! The sun is very powerful down there. Where a ball cap or hat the rest of the day whenever you are outside. You can add about 5 minutes per day of exposure to your head if it's not burnt. The same goes for the rest of your body if you dont have a base tan. Heed the warning or you'll be miserable on your Spring Break if you dont !!! p0@^ :)

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
I guess Im a freak of nature. I got a spf30 and only put it on my head and spent about 3 days in the sun(about 3 hours/day). My head got a little pink but nothing serious at all. I never used any sunscreen on my body because every time I have before I never got a tan, and I didnt feel a single bit of sunburn. This was pretty surprising to me because even though we never made it to the beach during the time when the sun is the hottest(11-2), a few of my friends got pretty burnt even though they were wearing sunscreen. Pretty disappointing for me because I wanted to get really dark but didnt.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
Trying to get tanned in a relatively short time is not a good idea.  Using sunscreen is always best.  Limited exposure to the sun each day even without sunscreen is healthy but that limited time should not exceed 30 minutes.  The reality is that a deep tan is a whole summer project, not a whole week project.  And, yes, there are genetic factors involved.  Some people have an easier and safer time of it than others.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Go easy guys on the sun , gently gently with exposure and factor30 and a hat

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
Only thing about wearing a hat is that it will keep my head from getting tan, which is what I want.