Author Topic: has anyone ever actually looked terrible sly?  (Read 3897 times)

Offline AJB1015

• Sly Jr.
  • Somewhere in between BBC and BBG (bald by genes)
has anyone ever actually looked terrible sly?
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
Howdy everyone, I'm still new on this forum and was't sure of the best place to put this post, so the miscellaneous section seemed best. I've been thinking of shaving my head lately due to hair loss, but have had the typical reservations. I don't care so much what my friends and family think about it, but have a few other concerns. For one thing, I just got hired at a real estate agency and am worried about showing up sly all of a sudden. Has anyone ever had adverse reactions in the workplace after shaving their head? The other reservation I have, I know this sounds silly, but I sometimes look in the mirror and think I would look ridiculous with a bald head. I'm not such a bad looking guy, but I have a huge forehead that sticks out, and my head is pretty flat in back. Has anybody ever come across a terrible looking bald guy in terms of shape? In my entire life I have never seen someone that made me say "Oh my gosh! Look at the terrible shape of that guys bald head! However, when I picture myself bald I envision this egg-headed alien shape. Let me know you're guys thoughts on these matters. Thanks everybody.

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
Re: has anyone ever actually looked terrible sly?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Everyone in my work place approved of it  O0 The females just wanted a ol rub

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
Everyone worries about the size of their forehead. (Clue, it will actually look smaller sly.) Everyone worries about the shape of their head. Everyone worries about showing up for work that first day.

All of these worries are for naught and are just stalling tactics.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
P.S. My boss' reaction on my first sly day was (20 minutes into our meeting) "Did you get new glasses?"

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »
well, get it on stages.
buzz it down, keep it that way for a while, then shave it when you think ppl got used to the short buzz cut.
about your forehead and flat head in the back, it's just your mind messing with you, nothing someone else will realise!

P.S. My boss' reaction on my first sly day was (20 minutes into our meeting) "Did you get new glasses?"
pwnd!
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »
Everyone worries about the size of their forehead. (Clue, it will actually look smaller sly.) Everyone worries about the shape of their head. Everyone worries about showing up for work that first day.

All of these worries are for naught and are just stalling tactics.

Agree.  The forehead looks large because you have hair. That impression will disappear when you shave it bald. 

And I agree, I have never seen a bald guy where I thought that his head shape looked weird.  It's the guys with the horseshoe or other non-typical hair patterns that look unpleasant. A bald head is very distinguished. I get that comment frequently.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:57 AM »

I've had this reaction, too!

As well as my daughter's reaction.  Three days AFTER I shaved my head .... "Did you shave your head ALL the way down?"  They had been seeing me bald for three days and did not notice! It just did not register.  I had been clippering gradually shorter and shorter for the three weeks prior.  So it was not big change for them.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:17 AM »
A bald head is very distinguished. I get that comment frequently.

Well you would do mr Z, what with that awesome bow tie, you definitely look classy... always wished I could pull it off but they just don't work on me

Offline zeroallover

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
Have to agree iRocks post above! You look in your pic like you still have a lot of hair I'd just buzz it down progressively shorter if your not comfortable making such a big change straight off! And peon my experience people generally don't even notice you've made a change!!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »
my suggestion as has been mentioned by others is to buzz it down shorter and then one day shave it.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:22 AM »
One question for you: what kind of place is the real estate agency in terms of dress / appearance / clientele?  If it tends toward the conservative side, then buzz down gradually.  That will give you and your colleagues there some time to adjust to each other.  Once you feel comfortable with them, shave smooth.  There might be a few comments initially, but they'll pass because they'll know you and know your good work.  And remember - strangers coming into the office will not have known you any other way, so there's no "before / after" comment they can make.

By the way, we all worry about what our heads will look like bald.  Don't worry too much about it - you'll look great.  More importantly, you'll adjust quickly to the sly look and feel great about yourself.  Sporting a shaved head is incredibly liberating. 

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
AJB, you got some good advice...grab that feeling of adventure and liberation!

O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
Well, anything is possible I guess, but personally I see a lot of guys who look old, tired, out of it with their horseshoes and thinning, receding tops.  I haven't ever seen a guy who looked good with anything more than a 3, much less a 4 on the Hamilton Norwood scale. 

But, if you're nervous about this, don't shave, leave it as it is--and also look around you in your new job.  When you see a sly guy, and you will, my educated guess is that he'll be one of the leaders in your office and business, a guy who's setting the pace for everyone.  When you've seen and realized that you'll just check in to SBG, confirm the information on how to shave your head and you'll do it.  Why, because you'll want to be a leader too. 

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:55 AM »
One question for you: what kind of place is the real estate agency in terms of dress / appearance / clientele?  If it tends toward the conservative side, then buzz down gradually.  That will give you and your colleagues there some time to adjust to each other.  Once you feel comfortable with them, shave smooth.  There might be a few comments initially, but they'll pass because they'll know you and know your good work.  And remember - strangers coming into the office will not have known you any other way, so there's no "before / after" comment they can make.

By the way, we all worry about what our heads will look like bald.  Don't worry too much about it - you'll look great.  More importantly, you'll adjust quickly to the sly look and feel great about yourself.  Sporting a shaved head is incredibly liberating. 

Good advise. You could also just shave it down and have your peers see you as sly from the start.   8)

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
I first shaved my head on the first day of a ski trip.  I figured that I'd be wearing a hat most of the time and if I didn't like it in a week it would be back to a short buzz anyway.
That was in January 2002.

I work in an office and wear the traditional suit/shirt/tie.  I regularly have to meet customers and present to audiences.  I've never had a negative comment regarding how I look at work.  Your colleagues will get used to it quickly.  New customers will just take you the way you are.