Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Learning the way of Sly
Just curious
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Hey fellas!

First off, thank you for this site and this community. I've been an anonymous lurker for a month and your attitude rocks... all of you are so kind to sly-to-be-s and so friendly (even if some off you don't look it... in a cool way!) but now I am curious about your opinions on whether or not I could carry The Look.

Why would I go that way? Two months ago I've realised that I am thinning at the back. Now, while I can more than live with widow's peaks (very interesting feature) the monk slap is a no-go for me. Since discovering it, it managed to absolutely crush my confidence and this last week am I feeling that I am actually able to start mending. It's still covered with a relative amount hair, so I have some time to prepare myself for any move I want to take in the future and one obvious solution to becoming more self-confident while balding is the sly look or its little brother... the buzz cut.

Everyone I've asked till now haven't given me a straight answer... Not even my hair dresser (I wish I knew why... I reckon she's afraid of having an unhappy customer on her hands). I know it's tough to judge before the deed, but I am still curious what people with a long experience in slyness would think of this kisser going really really short or even sly. Needless to say I am really nervous about this, as I view it as my last resort in still keeping a decent look and somehow I am petrified I will look like a complete idiot.

Please excuse the scowl in the picture... Taking your own picture and managing to have the entirety of the head in it can be straining. :)

Now be kind, you hear?

Jimmy

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
You'll be fine sly though I think you might want to thicken up the facial hair a bit.  If not a full beard then a larger goat/mo combo.  And,no I'mnot sayign that because I'm biased about beards.  Another thing which I;m thinking you'll want is some color on your face and dome - stockup on a bottle of theJergen's Natural Glow before the deed.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I think you'll look just fine.  8)

There is only one way to find out how YOU like it though and that is to do the deed.

Give it 30 days and see what you think. Good luck on your journey.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
Your hair looks fine in the photo, but we're just seeing the front. But once you get the point where your hair starts to rule your actions, it's time for it to go.

Life is too short to worry about not doing this, or not doing that, just because you're afraid your hair won't look good.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
Welcome.
It's a shock to find "the hole!" :o  Many of us have been there.  Breath deep, calm down, it will take some time for you to lose what your genes have programed you to lose.  You don't say how old you are, but say mid late twenties, even early thirties would be my guess.  At some point you need to google Norwood Hamilton scale--it will show approximations of the stages of baldness.  Based on that scale, I would say most guys look best with shorter hair from 2 on, and at some point a frank buzz--only you, the 24/7 guy can make that call.  MPB cannot be stopped by any reasonable process.  Plugs and drugs are not a reasonable process.  Covering up with a rug is expensive and usually looks like a dead rat on top of your head.  
So, right now, based on what I see--go with a shorter hair cut, later--a couple of years perhaps, a buzz.  It's not the end of the world.  And, if you want, shave it or buzz it tight now, get a feel for what may be in your future.  But don't beat yourself up, it's only hair and as you may note there are quite a few of us who do quite well without any on our heads at all.  I think at some point you'll learn you can too.  Just relax, you can't do anything to stop it so learn to live, and I do mean live, with your genetic traits--it's not a disease or disability at all.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:26:51 PM by saintc »

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
Give it a try. ^_^

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
Welcome and good luck with whatever you decide!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
Welcome, Jimmy.

Guess I'm biased, but I think most guys could look good bald and beard.  If you go directly to bald from your current look, it may seem a shock to some around you.  For a more gradual shift, get some clippers and work your hair shorter and shorter over time. Then when you are down to no-guard, the shift to sly is an easy step.

I'm a new BBC guy.  I've had lots of good complements on the bald look.

1. Makes you look younger.
2. Makes you look scholarly
3. It's really cool.  Many guys these days sport a bald head as a choice, not necessarily because you 'need' to.

etc.

And if you shave sly, do it for a minimum of 30 days.  You could re-grow if you don't like it or change your mind.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
Welcome, Jimmy.

Guess I'm biased, but I think most guys could look good bald and beard.  If you go directly to bald from your current look, it may seem a shock to some around you.  For a more gradual shift, get some clippers and work your hair shorter and shorter over time. Then when you are down to no-guard, the shift to sly is an easy step.

I'm a new BBC guy.  I've had lots of good complements on the bald look.

1. Makes you look younger.
2. Makes you look scholarly
3. It's really cool.  Many guys these days sport a bald head as a choice, not necessarily because you 'need' to.

etc.

And if you shave sly, do it for a minimum of 30 days.  You could re-grow if you don't like it or change your mind.

Mr. Z is very wise for a new guy...... listen to what he says.

I think you'll look fine if you do shave.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
Looking at the picture you posted, you have the face to carry the bald head well. I'd say, give it a try.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »
hey and welcome to SBGs
waiting will make it worse.
if you feel like losing confidence, shave it all off for like one month, and see how that feel.
In 99.99% cases, you'll be free and way better!
if the 0.0001 applies on you, hair will grow back.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »
Hey guys,

thank you for your kind replies. I think mrzed's suggestion is the way to go... I'll have to start working my way down. :)

@sailor

Darn my paleness! :)

@saintc

Your age estimation is even kinder, dear sir! I am actually going 35 this year. So if the sly look really makes me look younger, I'll be looking forward to having to produce an id just to buy alcohol again!  O:O

I have to explain my situation a bit further, I think. About 2 months ago I decided to let my hair grow a bit more. Before that I was short and spiky and fully unaware of anything being wrong with my hairline. Apparently I've had a "hole" developing in the back for the last 2 years now, but I didn't know anything about it. About a month ago I had a look myself (why, I have no idea) by using two mirrors and got the shock of my life.

I can live with the fact I am losing my hair... I've reached that state. It was more of a shock realising that my view of my self and reality were apart in that aspect of my body. But it's ok. That's the hand I was dealt with and I am not going to risk my health only for the slight possibility of being able to change it. This card might be a bit less good, but the rest is more than fine.

My problem now is my fear that I might be looking like someone that's trying to cover it up... I feel kinda like a fake and that's annoying me. And of course I detest the look of the hole when the hair around it is still well visible. Mine is still covered, but I am sure it'll get there eventually. So the buzz or the sly are options I am thinking of nearly every day. I am a bit worried that I might not be able to carry it or that it might not look professional enough on me (I am in constant customer contact). Deep down I know that's all bollocks, but I guess we are always our harshest critics. What iRock said is exactly my feeling... I am thinking of a buzz and I am expecting relief... It's really weird. Just now bold enough (or was that bald enough) to take the first step yet.

I know i didn't post a picture from the back, but here is a picture of my partially covered hole, just so you have the full story.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:46:35 AM by Jimmy »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
Hey guys,

thank you for your kind replies. I think mrzed's suggestion is the way to go... I'll have to start working my way down. :)

Thanks!
My problem now is my fear that I might be looking like someone that's trying to cover it up... I feel kinda like a fake and that's annoying me.

Absolutely not, unless you let the balding spot go too long!  But even then, once you shave your head, people will forget.

Bald heads are in style.  Give it 30 days. You will find you like it and others will be used to it and won't think a thing about it.  It's your new look.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
Without knowing what your hairline looks like--you're at the earliest stages.  Take a look at this chart and tell us where you think you are?

If it's at 3 or more, then a buzz is in order at least or you can shave it all off, if not there yet then you've got options.  One would be to shave it to the bone and see what you think--if you like it, keep on shaving and although mpb will continue, it will be hidden in plain sight. 

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »
You know, I've looked at the chart so often and I still couldn't really place me anywhere. The front of my hairline I would still place at a 2 or even before a 2 with slight thinning but no receding in the widow's peak areas. Nothing drastic though. My hairline is pretty much the same way it has been as long as I can remember. I have no idea where my bald spot would be placed. Is it a 3V or a 4 slightly more covered? You've seen the picture. No idea.

To be honest, I wouldn't buzz or shave to hide the balding. I am balding and that's that. Who gives a toss? When I think of buzzing my hair (as a start that will eventually lead to a shave), I am thinking of actually embracing my baldness and just providing a cleaner look... I think that thinning spots somehow appear untidy. Things as they are now are just about bearable. But now that I've spotted it, I want to slowly prepare myself for what is to come. And again... I like the buzz and I am looking forward to it, but somehow I am dreading not being able to carry it off. Growing back thinning hair must look awful!

The fact that just last week I met a really cute girl, with which I am going out, doesn't make my decisions easier at the moment. I thought I'll wait for another couple of months before I do anything drastic. I've even considered preparing her for it, but who wants to bad-mouth the goods before selling them, ey? ;)

Absolutely not, unless you let the balding spot go too long!

Thank you, mrzed. It's good to read that. I guess I could even enjoy what I still have as long as I have it and then do the deed. And till then I can hang out electronically with cool dudes with loads of facial hair. :)

By the way, I do have a friend here in Germany where I live (no, I don't care about the skinhead stigma... I am not native, so the German Fatherland is of no concern to me) who also shaves his head and I cannot stop touching his head! :) In the straightest possible way of course. It's a good feeling to know that one day I can have that feeling directly over my eyes.