Author Topic: Straight Razors  (Read 9601 times)

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
Straight Razors
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
i want to try to shave with a straight razor.

anybody on here uses a straight razor?

how hard is it?

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
Re: Straight Razors
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »
i'm still trying to find a place that sells them locally, but i've always been told to practice on your beard  O0 O0 O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:14:46 AM »
I have a straight razor that I purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply a while back (they sell replacement blades in boxes of five) when I was home on leave from deployment. They cut well, but you have to be careful. I would treat them as if I were shaving with a double edge razor. The angle is critical; one bad cut and you will be gushing blood like Old Faithful. I haven't mastered cutting behind the ears yet (use a disposable for those areas) but as weird as it sounds, it's easier to use a straight razor on someone else than it is on yourself. (I still wonder why) :/O
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
I'm going to Sally's and check out their blades...this looks like fun.

O0

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
I don't see an advantage to using one. All the advancements in razors is to provide a close & safe shave ! I don't think you'd get a closer shave with a straight razor versus a Fusion or Hydro 5 & they have to be much much safer 😄

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
For anyone interested in classic shaving methods; mug/soap/brush vs the crap in a can, double edge razors, straight baldes, etc....a VERY strong suggestion to register with and hang out a bit on www.BadgerandBlade.com.

It's another very helpful friendly community that is great at helping newbies navigate through a surprisingly complicated setof choices.  Not the same as here but still a good site.

As someone who has recently dumped the multi trac (Fusion) for an old style Double Edge - I get a closer shave, with less irritation on my throat AND the blades cost cents not dollars.  However there is a learning curve and it's not a transition you can make with your head overnight.  I've mastered the traditional face shave with my DE and am slowly getting it down on the dome.  Can do a very nice job on the sides round the ears and the very top and the bit of clean up I need in front. However those annoying spots right behind my ears I still need the old multi track for as well as the back.  I'm getting there but it takes time to develop the technique...a DE razor is not as forgiving as the multi tracks so there will be cuts/knicks.   And a straight is even more reliant on practice makes perfect...one is on my list but needs to wait.

When you go to Badger and Blade be sure to register as I believe  some vendor areas  are only shown to registered members - check out the forums on their vendors, some good discounts to be had.  Also a number of members post shave gear and supplies they have tried and not been crazy over or stuff they have gotten tired of it etc. 
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
You can find a straight razor at Sally's Beauty Supply or on Amazon .com. I have bought a couple of them but have not tried them out yet. I have worked with double edged razors and have gotten a lot of nicks form them. I need more practice I guess.

Thanks Sailor for your comments. I appreciate them and agree with you.

For myself, I have been using the Gillette Fusion power razor, The Gillette Mach 3 and the headblade. I would like to learn how to use a double edge and a straight razor but it will take time. I have had pretty goosd luck with the Gllette Fusion Powerr Razor and the Gillette Mach 3. I have gotten a good close shave with them and minimal nicks. in the process.THey seem, a

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »
i can't find them locally myself.

they look dangerous for a novice to try it themselves.

does the straight razors reduces irritation?

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »
I can't say for a straight razor but the double edge (DE) style has greatly reduced the irritation I would get on my throat from the multitrack types.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline srmd22

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
One thing to keep in mind if you get into the straight edge thing: it is important to use a good quality blade which is properly honed. A crappy or poorly honed blade will be very unpleasant indeed.

However, there is no real danger using a sraight razor as long as you read up a bit first, and take your time, as there is a learning curve. I second the recommendation to check out Badger & Blade. Great bunch of folks, and a wealth of info on wet shaving which will pertain to both face and head (they have a head shaving sub forum, too).

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
I would not suggest using a straight razor, for several reasons. 1. They are expensive 2. They cut you badly. 3. They don't offer a better shave than a Double Edge and 4. You have to hone the blade to keep it sharp, which is kind of annoying.

if you want a better shave, go with sailor's advice.

Offline Dr-photo

• Sly Guy in Training
rpened
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
I love the idea of shaving with a perminent blade that you have sharpened yourself. As I am in the middle of building my own house in wood I am always sharpening my cutting tools and the thought of getting an edge that good is quite a thrill/challenge. I managed to get my head smooth as silk from front to back for the first time the other night, and was luck enough to have my first head stroke within minutes. She was amazed at how smooth it was, like her babies bum as she put it. It felt great and has convinced me that i must be a daily shaver at minimum. sadly it turned to velco by the morning. And on that note Off to shave now, bye
only dead fish go with the flow

Slynito

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
From your picture your shave is amazing, Doc.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
I'm afraid i would slice my head open with a straight blade.