Author Topic: How to keep it clean and smooth  (Read 3777 times)

Offline 2goode2btru

• Learning the way of Sly
How to keep it clean and smooth
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
My male pattern baldness seems to be winning the battle. I have been shaving bald for the past 5 years but the length of time between my shaves have decreased. I shave with a Gillette Profusion razor, use Aveno Oatmeal and or Bald Guy gel and a variety of after shave lotions. Currently my baldy only last 12 hours max without regrowth and my sensitive skin makes daily shaving too problematic. I've tried using Lye to get a longer hold but nothing works. My baldy use to last 2 days when I 1st started but with age I thought things slowed down not sped up. Should I go to a barber and have it cut with a straight razor? Not sure what to do or where to turn for advice. Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How to keep it clean and smooth
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »
Are you referring to the MPB shadow that is left behind after shaving your head? Please Clarify.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
Lye--what are you saying?  You put lye on to slow down the regrowth?  If that is the lye I'm thinking about it would be very irritating to any skin, nevermind "sensitive" skin. 

After 12 hours I think most guys get stubble where there is still any hair, it may be sparce stubble in some areas, but stubble none the less.

Offline 2goode2btru

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »
Are you referring to the MPB shadow that is left behind after shaving your head? Please Clarify.

MPB shadow? Every person on here must shave before posting photos because their heads look fresh and healthy. The hair that regrows looks just typical like growth so not sure if I understand what MPB shadow is to fully address your question.

Offline 2goode2btru

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
Lye--what are you saying?  You put lye on to slow down the regrowth?  If that is the lye I'm thinking about it would be very irritating to any skin, nevermind "sensitive" skin. 

After 12 hours I think most guys get stubble where there is still any hair, it may be sparce stubble in some areas, but stubble none the less.

Sorry, the lye is the stuff like Nair and Veet that is formulated for hair removal. I've use that as a means of trying to get a closer longer lasting shave but the skin irritation is probably one of the additional issues that I'm facing. With the constant daily shaving my skin developed razor bumps and red blotchy irritations that forced me to look for additonal options and hence why I turned here. I see the heads of so many men that just look healthy and clean which is most desirable for me but not sure how to go about getting those results.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
In most cases, it's going to take some time to achieve that smooth look, Not everyone uses the same method or product to achieve their desired result. Personally, I shave every third or fourth day because of the razor bump/redness problem that you mentioned. In my case, my head becomes smoother because I have a little growth before I shave again instead of shaving over and over the same areas everyday causing irritation. Hair grows faster on the sides and back than on top, so sometimes you may have to go over those areas a second time, but don't apply a lot of pressure...Also the key to avoiding bumps/redness, as many guys would say, is to wash your scalp after shaving and constantly change your bedding (maybe wear a skullcap or something to bed if needed). Good Luck and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
OMG, drop the lye, let the noggin calm down.  Then after shaving, use an astringent, then to calm the inflamation that seems to be a problem, hydrocortizone lotion, not creme, followed by a non-oil after shave balm, I prefer Nivea Extreme Comfort.  But for all reasons, no more lye--that gets to my stomach in not a nice way :(.

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
OMG, drop the lye, let the noggin calm down.  Then after shaving, use an astringent, then to calm the inflamation that seems to be a problem, hydrocortizone lotion, not creme, followed by a non-oil after shave balm, I prefer Nivea Extreme Comfort.  But for all reasons, no more lye--that gets to my stomach in not a nice way :(.

This is excellent advice!

Offline 2goode2btru

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
In most cases, it's going to take some time to achieve that smooth look, Not everyone uses the same method or product to achieve their desired result. Personally, I shave every third or fourth day because of the razor bump/redness problem that you mentioned. In my case, my head becomes smoother because I have a little growth before I shave again instead of shaving over and over the same areas everyday causing irritation. Hair grows faster on the sides and back than on top, so sometimes you may have to go over those areas a second time, but don't apply a lot of pressure...Also the key to avoiding bumps/redness, as many guys would say, is to wash your scalp after shaving and constantly change your bedding (maybe wear a skullcap or something to bed if needed). Good Luck and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you!

Offline 2goode2btru

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »

I'll give it a try and let you know if my results change, I appreciate all the advice and recommendations. Thanks again for all the recommmedations.

As a new member to this site has the store been officially closed? I don't see any new options on there for purchases so I'm not sure of another option or site that is out there that offers deals.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
As a new member to this site has the store been officially closed? I don't see any new options on there for purchases so I'm not sure of another option or site that is out there that offers deals.
I don't know where you live but the things you need are relatively cheap and can be purchased at any drugstore in the US and I imagine that pharmacies everywhere carry the stuff too. 

Enter your email address: