Author Topic: Also on the Fence  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Wingz

• Learning the way of Sly
Also on the Fence
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
I'm new here and also on the fence.  As I posted in my intro, I'm 46 and got the male pattern going, starting up the middle.  I've got a couple questions.

Some people have said that being bald works best with certain shape heads.   I am pretty handy with Photoshop.  I took a recent photo and tried to take off the hair.  See attached side-by-side.  Does anyone have an opinion about face/head shape types and will this look good with my shape?

Secondly, what about facial hair.  Isn't it true that if you are all bald up above it would be good to have some face hair to kind of balance out the look?  Either a mustache, beard, goatee, etc?  I'm really not into facial hair - tried the 'stache back in college and it just didn't look right.  But if I don't shave for a couple days maybe it'll give a nice stubble look?  I don't know.  I don't know how this new appearance will make me look with no hair on the face.  I do wear glasses though, so maybe that balances it?  I switch to my shades out in the sun, I think sunglasses look cool on bald guys.

Is being bald going to make me look older?  I am 6' tall, about 220 pounds so I'm not too huge but I have a lil gut.  I'm wondering if this is more appropriate for a smaller frame more muscular guy.  I'd hate to be the bald short fat guy - well, at least I don't have to worry about the short part!  ;D  I definitely do not want to look older.  I've already got that part covered unfortunately, and am a little self conscious about the age thing.  However, I think that greying, balding hair adds years.

And I don't want this to make me look like a skinhead thug!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Also on the Fence
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
The only way to know how you'll look is to try it. 

A couple things: 1) don't worry about your head shape.  There are few perfect heads.  Sly looks good on many people with different head shapes. 2) facial hair is up to you - there are no rules.  I never had facial hair until a few months after going sly.  I like both looks, but now prefer facial hair.  3) generally speaking, sly makes older guys look a little younger and younger guys look a little older.  4) you won't look like a skinhead thug if you act polite and smile at others. 

So if you decide to give it a try, you can go in steps, i.e., buzz down to different shorter lengths to get a sense of how you'll look, or you can jump right in and go straight to smooth-shaven.  Whichever you choose, the change is not permanent - if you don't like it, your hair will grow back relatively quickly.

Good luck!

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
Maybe try a tight  buzz first which is a youthful look in itself. Your current look ages you IMHO. ALso hitting the gym to lose some pounds will add a youthful essence to most anyone.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:30:45 PM »
:| photoshop...
boy, real bald looks way better :D
just do it. for real this time :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:51:08 PM »
Taking off what is left of your hair will take off years from your face. Shaving your head will make you look a lot younger. Trust me...trust us.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Wingz

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
I couldn't get the skin tone right in Photoshop.  Almost looks like I'm wearing a skin tight cap  :*))

Anything that can take off years of appearance can't be that bad, especially when my target for dating is younger (30s) women.

Offline Hammy

• Sly Jr.
  • Don Sweeny, the Stanley Cup, and I!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »
I couldn't get the skin tone right in Photoshop.  Almost looks like I'm wearing a skin tight cap  :*))

Anything that can take off years of appearance can't be that bad, especially when my target for dating is younger (30s) women.

If your target dating age is 10+ years younger than you are, going sly will only help. Like others have said it makes you look younger and feel more confident. You obviously have dislikes about your current hair and unfortunately it does make you look older than 46. Why not shave it down and try it out. Once you do, like most others you won't go back. But if you do decide you dont like it, it's just hair, it will grow back......

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
It wool look much better than the photoshop version. U will never know until u just do it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
I'm 46 and got the male pattern going, starting up the middle.  I've got a couple questions.

Is being bald going to make me look older? . . . I'd hate to be the bald short fat guy -   I definitely do not want to look older.  I've already got that part covered unfortunately, and am a little self conscious about the age thing.  However, I think that greying, balding hair adds years.

There's the answer--you are a bald guy, right now.  Just look at the picture.  You do look older than 46, right now.  So, you've answered your own question, haven't you?  Now if you're getting lots of compliments on your fringe, Bozo ring, hairy toiletseat--you won't get those anymore.  If the babes are telling you that your thinned out dying mop turns them on, well that will be just a memory too >:D.  
So, read up, take a clipper without the guard and take everything down as far as possible.  Take a long hot shower and shampoo the remnants.  Get a good shaving gel, or better some Headslick applied with a brush, a sharp new blade and slowly, and I do mean slowly, clean it up.  All you're giving up is all the positive and encouraging comments you get on your hair now, or at least what's left of it, and, if after 30 days, you want to go back--stop shaving.  My bet is that you won't.  
Sorry to be blunt, but you've been a bald guy for a while now it would appear--it's time to try sly.   8)  I would wager that your only regret will be having waited so long.  Clean up and put this behind you.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:16:31 AM by saintc »

Offline Wingz

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
There might be something to the age perception thing.  Bruce Willis is well older than me but doesn't look it now, and Vin Diesel is just 2 years younger but looks much younger than that.  Granted, the chiseled muscles probably have something to do with that also.  8)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
Here's how I see it Wingz.......

Do you know what happens to a guy that stands up there on that fence to long?? Eventually one of his legs slips out, he falls straight down, and busts his balls.... OUCH!!!! Better to take the chance and shave if you ask me.

And your photos tell me this is true...... forget about that stupid photo shop picture. The real thing will be much more satisfying.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
Welcome Wingz! 

Do yourself a favor and do the 30 day challenge.  I am pretty sure you will like it.  Also, if you don't what it left will grow out to a crew cut in about 2 weeks.  Also try the HeadBlade and at least some really slick shaving lotion like HeadSlick or Kiss My Face.  It will make shaving a breeze!

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Hey, wingz,

Don't worry about head shape.  It is what it is, and I have not noticed a shaved head that didn't look presentable.

Facial hair- I have never been a fan, and it probably affects my opinion that my wife isn't either.  It's really a personal decision.  While a gray beard or stache may give an indication of age, it can always be colored if you wish.  Some on the board look very distinguished with gray facial hair, but in my case I think it would just make me look older.

As for looking older, most people guess my age significantly less than over 60. 

So, going sly is not like getting a tattoo.  You can change things.  You can start out with a basic shave and go from there.  Try different things.  Hair grows amazingly fast, and it only takes a few days to get a feel for a different look.

I made the mistake of waiting much too long to finally go sly.  Do it, you won't regret it.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
A few things:
  • You will look younger. Your current hair is aging you significantly.
  • You will not look like a thug unless you dress like one. Avoid pulling a nylon stocking over your head.
  • You're 6' tall. You can never be the short fat bald guy.
  • Once you've gone sly you can address the facial hair. I suspect the stubble look would be a good one for you, but that's something you'll have plenty of time to play with.
  • My sly brothers are right on... straddling the fence is wasted time that you will later rue.