Author Topic: How many shaves do you use the same razor?  (Read 10404 times)

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
Re: How many shaves do you use the same razor?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »
Panasonic electric works great and gets very close and smooth especially if used wet with shave gel or cream.

I just dont want to waste money on it if it isnt gonna get as close as the razor does.

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
I used my last blade for 30 days, which must have been around 20-25 shaves (I usually shave every day with a few exceptions).
I did extend it to 30 days to see how it would affect the performance and quality of the shave itself.

I could have extended it's use a little as the shaves were still pretty decent, no nicks or cuts, just had to go over the same spot a few times....but I must also say that when I finally used a new blade the following morning it felt better..........

So, quality of shave gets worse although you can still use the blade and get a good shave but I feel that a month's use out of a blade is pretty good and money wise something affordable.

All in all I guess I will be using the blades for around 3 weeks, still affordable and secure good quality shaves.

I guess it is important to mention that I use Gillette Sensor (not Excel) blades and the Headblade S4 or the new Sport

I also take care of my blades to keep them as factory fresh as possible:
1) Rinse with water after every stroke and clean thoroughly with a tooth brush after use
2) Rinse or dip into alcohol as water and humidity will leave your blade dull
3) Use a blade sharpener before and after every shave

Hope this helps

Happy 2012!!

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
Panasonic electric works great and gets very close and smooth especially if used wet with shave gel or cream.

I just dont want to waste money on it if it isnt gonna get as close as the razor does.

All I can say is that it works for me great with shave gel or better with neutrogena shave cream.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
I just do it as I feel they need to be changed. No set schedule for me.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
I used to replace the blades after one week (4 or 5 shaves). NOW I can get double and sometimes triple that by drying the blades after use. I finish shaving and take a compressed air blaster (about $8.00 at Staples for 1 or $15.00 for 2) and wash the razor, then shoot it with air to dry and get all water and shaving cream off the blades, and dry it upright against the back of the sink, it's the water and cream that make blades go dull (in my opinion) It's work the price of the air blasters, they last me about a month each.

I also LOVE my Shick Hydro 5 as they don't have wires to keep the blades together, less to clog up with cream.
AKA Gimpy

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
Regarding the Panasonic, it gets really close with a wet shave and it never irritates the scalp. It's worth it.

One comment on blades: if you like to cook, one lesson you learn is to never use a dull knife. Follow the same rule with razor blades: change the blade as soon as it starts to tug and feel uncomfortable, cause it's getting dull.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »
I bought a Panasonic ES8243 and when I use it wet, it takes a long time, a lot of passes, and it's still not that smooth.  I use it more for touch ups (dry) if I miss a spot.

Blades work best for me the first 3ish days but I use them at least a week before changing.  They don't seem to nick me when they get old, they just don't work well.  I've tried rinsing in alcohol but it doesn't seem to help much for me.  I may try that compressed air idea because I do believe drying the blade when done with it is best.

I also don't like the 5 blade fusion too much.  It does have less chance of irrititation but it takes more passes for me.  3 blades has the same irritation protection but is easier to use.  2 blades does the best job for me but is harsher on my head.

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
1) Rinse with water after every stroke and clean thoroughly with a tooth brush after use

Hope this helps

Happy 2012!!

2) Are you talking about dipping it into alcohol after you finish shaving? It does make sense though because rubbing alcohol(im assuming thats what you mean) evaporates pretty quick.

3) Where can I find one of these blade sharpeners?

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »

Hope this helps

Happy 2012!!

Yes, I dip it into alcohol after shaving and leave it for drying

The blade sharpener I use is a German patent a german friend of mine made me aware of. Their website, as far as I know is only in german but it is:  www.blade-master.de

At least you can see some pics.

I bought mine on Ebay. If you log on to the German Ebay Site (www.ebay.de) you will find these sharpeners, I'm sure some sellers will ship worldwide

I have nothing to do with this, so buy it from whichever seller you are most comfortable with.

I have used it for a year now, and I can tell it works.

Hope this helps

2) Are you talking about dipping it into alcohol after you finish shaving? It does make sense though because rubbing alcohol(im assuming thats what you mean) evaporates pretty quick.

3) Where can I find one of these blade sharpeners?

Offline Slick_Chris

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
As much as they cost, I'm going to make these Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridges last a month each.  I shave every other day and I take good care of my blades (i.e., keep them dry, sharpen them, etc.)

I've been using my current cartridge for over two weeks now and I don't feel like that the quality of the shave has diminished to any noticeable degree.

Slynito

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
I may get a month from a Fusion, but I use my Panny 70% of the time.

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
As much as they cost, I'm going to make these Gillette Fusion ProGlide cartridges last a month each.  I shave every other day and I take good care of my blades (i.e., keep them dry, sharpen them, etc.)

I've been using my current cartridge for over two weeks now and I don't feel like that the quality of the shave has diminished to any noticeable degree.

How do you sharpen your blades?

Offline Slick_Chris

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »

How do you sharpen your blades?

I'm not sure if this forum allows the posting of FB videos but here ya go...

I was watching Cheapskates on TLC and a guy on the show used the match striker from the side of a box of matches to sharpen his blade (haven't tried this myself, though).

Offline SCjay

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Basically those videos said to rub your razor in the opposite direction on a pair of jeans 10 times to sharpen them.

Anyone ever try this with success?

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
Basically those videos said to rub your razor in the opposite direction on a pair of jeans 10 times to sharpen them.

Anyone ever try this with success?

Just tried it with my last razor (thought it couldn't hurt) and I went from 3 shavings to 7 (and still counting). I think I can get another 1 or 2 shaves out of it.

But I cheated, I didn't only use a pair of jeans, but also my towel or whatever cloth was near at the moment. Like Slick_Chris said, I think it's just important to dry your razor after using it.

Anyways, I'm glad I've found a way to extend the life of my razors since they're über-expensive. But now, 2 weeks of shaving with the same razor seems fair to me.