Author Topic: Nissan Juke  (Read 6743 times)

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
Nissan Juke
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
I'm thinking of trading my car for a Nissan Juke  `Dr!v.    While I prefer the manual transmission, I was going to get the automatic because I want the AWD.  I've never had an automatic before.  Does anyone own one or have any experience with it that they can share about it?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:50:28 PM by Acme »

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Nissan Juke
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
I read a review in one of the car mags - it got mixed reviews. It's based on the Nissan Versa. Try Edmunds.com or Kelley Blue Book. Both should have reviews of it.

Slynito

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:42:19 PM »
Sorry, I can't... I enjoy buying US brand vehicles. They are well made, dependable and have given me excellent service over many years.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Sorry, I can't... I enjoy buying US brand vehicles. They are well made, dependable and have given me excellent service over many years.

Nothing wrong with that!

I read a review in one of the car mags - it got mixed reviews. It's based on the Nissan Versa. Try Edmunds.com or Kelley Blue Book. Both should have reviews of it.

Thanks.  Edmunds had a review of the '11 and the main con was the styling (if you don't like it).  They also had good pricing info.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »
idk what to say, I don't even have a car yet:D
but, the commercial advertising in ro pwns!
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Well, I decided to give it a try.  The one thing I hate about any new car is the other "drivers" on the street and yesterday (day one) I was almost rear ended by a Honda Fit.

It is a fun car and faster than anything I've ever had before but I haven't pushed it yet because the owners manual suggests a 1200 mile break in period.  I'm trying to abide by that.  So far, I am still thinking, "maybe I should have gotten the manual transmission" but hopefully that feeling will pass.  I got the auto because I wanted to try the AWD.  The biggest drawback to the automatic is that now the rest of my family can drive my car  >:(.  They've never been able to do that before!

The style is polarizing and is "love it" or "hate it".  So far, the majority of people tell me they love it.  It's definitely different for me because I've only had small cars (integra, civic, scion tc) and this feels like a truck to me because of how high it sits.  It is in the crossover/suv class (I laugh when I say that because of how small it is) and I do like the view.  Anyway, if anyone wants a review after I've had it a little while, let me know.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
hey acme:  i don't own a nissan juke but i love its unique body style.  O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
good you could do the deal  :)
enjoy it :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »
The biggest drawback to the automatic is that now the rest of my family can drive my car  >:(.  They've never been able to do that before!

Key control! There is no law that requires you to share your car. And if they can't get the keys they can't drive the car.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »
Thanks guys.  I couldn't enjoy it the first day because I hate spending that much money on something that only decreases in value but now that it's done I'm liking it.

You're right budha.  And I pretty much give the keys out - never.  Actually the key is just a remote control which is extremely convenient. Now I only have to fumble with a key for the mailbox.  Car and house do not require physical keys.  Therefore no one has my house key either.  I give out codes that I can add/delete as needed.

BTW, if anyone wants to ditch the keys to their house, I've been using the Schlage electronic locks (with key backup) for 4 years and they are fantastic.  They work flawlessly. They are backlit for night use.  And they are faster to use than fumbling with hard keys.  I don't even have a key on my keychain.
-----------
I just realized this car is a turning point for me. It's the first time a car cost more than my piano.  Where have my priorities gone?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:11:38 AM by Acme »

Slynito

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:13:46 AM »
This was in USA Today, this morning...

Nissan is recalling 28,294 Jukes from the 2011 model year because of a defective weld, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In the affected vehicles, the turbocharger boost sensor bracket could separate from the air inlet tube. If the bracket comes off, the Juke could stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall is expected to being around Jan. 9. Nissan dealers will check the lot number on the air inlet tube and replace it, if necessary, free of charge. For more info, owners can call Nissan at 800-647-7261 or NHTSA's safety hotline at 888-327-4236.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
Whew!  It's A good thing I got a 2012. Thanks for the info.  #**p

Slynito

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
Good thinking buying the '12...but a recall can happen when you buy a new ride.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Yes. A recall can happen anytime.  They can happen years later too.  As much as I'd like to wait and see what products hold up and what products don't before I decide to buy, that's just not practical. 

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »
I saw a movie called "FightClub" wherein one of the main characters, Ed Norton, works for a major American car company in a division called Compliance and Liability. They make decisions as to when to initiate a recall by a formula he describes as "A+B=X". "A" is the number of incidents resulting in injury from a particular defect. "B" is the average out of court settlement. "X" is the cost of a recall. If A+B is less than the cost of a recall "We don't do one". Even though it was in a movie I tend to believe that car companies actually do use formulas like this to determine whether or not to recall cars. So, that tells me that this particular defect in the Juke has some pretty serious implications.
Then I wonder how many other cars have defects that are considered "safe" using "the formula" and are still veritable death traps when operating at highway speeds.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.