Author Topic: Razor Bumps  (Read 6300 times)

Offline GTM

• Learning the way of Sly
Razor Bumps
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »
Hey guys I'm new here and I've was hoping for some advice.  I have shaven my head before I for the most part like the results, however the thing I did not like was some really bad Pseudofolliculitis barbae (aka razor bumps) that formed on the bad of my neck.  Like really gross, like a million little whiteheads all over my neck. Ugh I feel gross just thinking about it.  Anyone have to deal with this too?  Any ideas of how to get around it?  I was thinking about maybe trying an electric razor when I shave it again and see how that goes.

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
Re: Razor Bumps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »
Welcome GTM,
Try this, it close the skin after shaving
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline GTM

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »
interesting, is it like a bar of soap or something? how is it used?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 03:01:37 AM »
GTM, first off, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!

As for razor bumps, what type of razor and cream or gel were you using?

There's a couple products you can try out.  One is ClearHead by HeadBlade and he other is Tend Skin.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:47:33 AM »
Hi and welcome . Glad you joined us.  I had a similar problem when I first started shaving but by following others advice on threads here that is no longer the case.  Try using an exfoliator before shaving.  HeadShed or St.Ives Apricot Scrub.  Use a good quality razor and blade, A good long cold rinse after shaving, and then ClearHead.  This routine has eliminated most if not all of the problem for me. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
I turn on the cold water at the end of my shower/shave and hold my head in it for 30 seconds.  Closes things up and feels great, especially for waking you up in the morning.

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
Welcome to SBG GTM.  I haven't experienced the razor bumps on my neck, so I can't offer much there other than to try what some of these other guys suggest.  They know what they're talking about.

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 04:57:23 PM »
Hi and welcome . Glad you joined us.  I had a similar problem when I first started shaving but by following others advice on threads here that is no longer the case.  Try using an exfoliator before shaving.  HeadShed or St.Ives Apricot Scrub.  Use a good quality razor and blade, A good long cold rinse after shaving, and then ClearHead.  This routine has eliminated most if not all of the problem for me. 

I use the same routine:  st.ives, shave, cold rinse, ClearHead.

I also tried rubbing alcohol...has a little bite to it.  (probably not much different than ClearHead)

Offline Tbone

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 11:41:13 PM »
I'm looking for a similar remedy. I don't know if what I have is considered razor burn though. I do have some slight acne on my face. Each time I shave my head it seems to be getting worse and worse on it. I've tried Gillette shave gel followed by Gillette aftershave lotion. Also tried shaving in the shower and then using cold water and using aftershave lotion. I then tried using Shaving in the shower with a headblade followed by cold water followed by alchohol and then headblade glossy. I'm using baldguyz headwipes now trying to keep my head emaculate. Unfortunantly its only getting worse. Just got done shaving in the shower and even used my anti-acne face wash on my head after shaving and it still didnt help. I use an electric on my face because of shaving cream irritating my skin, so i may try that next even though it will take 3 times longer. I already retired the Mach 3 turbo for a headblade sport and its only been 10 days. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »
I'm looking for a similar remedy. I don't know if what I have is considered razor burn though. I do have some slight acne on my face. Each time I shave my head it seems to be getting worse and worse on it. I've tried Gillette shave gel followed by Gillette aftershave lotion. Also tried shaving in the shower and then using cold water and using aftershave lotion. I then tried using Shaving in the shower with a headblade followed by cold water followed by alchohol and then headblade glossy. I'm using baldguyz headwipes now trying to keep my head emaculate. Unfortunantly its only getting worse. Just got done shaving in the shower and even used my anti-acne face wash on my head after shaving and it still didnt help. I use an electric on my face because of shaving cream irritating my skin, so i may try that next even though it will take 3 times longer. I already retired the Mach 3 turbo for a headblade sport and its only been 10 days. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you could possibly be allergic to something.  You might want to consider seing a dermatologist.  People's skin can change over time.  My skin is under control at the moment, but I have found that my neck area can't handle cologne directly on it anymore, and at various times during the year, I have had break-outs in various places (luckily none on the head).  I had no such problems when I was younger.  Good luck.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Tbone

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 01:29:20 AM »
ok i've been thinking about seeing one anyway. thanks for the advice stew. The irritation just from shaving is what makes it go crazy. My face WAS the same way when I started shaving.  If I can't keep shaving my head I'm going to be really frustrated. Please let me know if any of you experienced the same thing and what you did to remedy it. Thanks -Tony

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
What shaving cream are you using?  Have you tried mixing that up?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 01:47:23 AM »
A work mate who shaves his head had a problem like this.He went to the Doctors & was given some cream that cleared it up.
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Tbone

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 02:17:15 AM »
Tyler so far I've tried 4 methods -
Gillete Fusion Shave Gel, then tried Barbrasol Shaving Cream, Then tried headslick (free sample with my HB), then tried simply water while showering. So far just getting worse and worse. I'm waiting to post a shaven picture until it clears up. I think I'm going to just see the doctor this week. Thanks for the help guys.

Offline GTM

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 02:36:21 AM »
LOL Sorry forgot I made this post so sorry for the delayed replies

GTM, first off, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!

As for razor bumps, what type of razor and cream or gel were you using?

There's a couple products you can try out.  One is ClearHead by HeadBlade and he other is Tend Skin.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'm gonna look into trying some of that stuff when I shave my head next week or so.

As far as the razor and cream I use, I probably kept it real ghetto by using my Shick Quattro with some gilette gel.  The effect was great other than the razor bumps.  But the ideas for the ClearHead and the keeping the head under cold water for 30 seconds sound promising.